+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Individual Reports Lost Data in Technical; I am guessing I am fighting a losing battle, but I have nothing to lose, in fact, I have already ...

Thank Post

Angry SIMS Individual Reports Lost Data

I am guessing I am fighting a losing battle, but I have nothing to lose, in fact, I have already lost it!

I have spent this morning updating an Individual Report in Assessment Manager, saving the word template every 10 minutes or so as I have gone along. Finally, I saved and closed the Word document when the changes were complete and I went to save the Individual Report in SIMS and oh what a surprise, SIMS crashed and booted me out.

I have spoken to CAPITA about the error message, my question (which they have not been able to answer so far) is as to whether SIMS saves these Word reports as a temporary file somewhere that I can recover. I am guessing that in saving the word template probably 50 times in the space of the morning, it must have gone somewhere, like a temporary file or something. I thought some of you guys are pretty knowledgeable and my best hope of finding it! Otherwise I have wasted 3 1/2 hours, not ideal when I have a deadline in a few days

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    First place I'd look is the "My SIMS Documents" folder in your "My Documents" folder, then look for a folder with your name/username on it, there could be something in there.

You could do a search on your machine for any .doc or .docx files created today and see if that throws anything up?

3. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Xeba37 (7th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Nothing in My SIMS Documents from today, but it was worth a look.

Search revealed in my temporary files a file called IndRepBaseTemplate from the same time as it crashed but when I open that it is blank.....

I guess I just have to crack on and do it again then hellllooooo overtime

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,380 Times in 1,142 Posts
    Mine is an IndRepStudentTemplate.xml file here : C:\Users\vikpaw\AppData\Local\Temp - win7 x64. Worth a look if you can open it.
    Also if you can check recent files in Word.

What has probably happened is that you took too long and SIMS timed out on you. So it's worth closing the template, save when prompted (this ensures all the macros will work), then save again in SIMS. It's a pain but do that every so often to ensure your changes are working. Also, i'd test every so often so if it goes awry, you know which bit you need to check.

On a proper save the file will be going into the document store, but not sure if it's saved in a usable format in the interim.

6. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Xeba37 (8th January 2014)

Thank Post
    If you click to restart your computer (and then cancel once you have found the doc) just sometimes you can get a message to save that missing document which has disappeared but somehow running in the background. Quite often works for me.

8. Thanks to SouthCoastSaint from:

Xeba37 (8th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks folks, no document open in the background on my 'force restart' list and the one in that location you specified was the one I had already found which was blank. Not to worry back to where I was now....and the more overtime I do now, the less hours I have left to work over summer so not all bad Just been told a load of YR13 are doing YR12 courses and the data has been put in the YR12 records for the whole year...so yet more overtime needed to fix it! Oh to have psychic powers and know which courses we actually run haha

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread