+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Dissertation Help in Technical; Hey! I am trying to gather some data for my dissertation so I was wondering if you could complete my ...

Thank Post

Dissertation Help

Hey!

I am trying to gather some data for my dissertation so I was wondering if you could complete my really short questionnaire, I promise you it will take you less than 5 minutes!

To give you a bit of background, I have financed my study by working within the educating sector, supporting schools with their Management Information Systems. My dissertation (in a nutshell) is the positives and negatives of moving from a local based MIS to a cloud based MIS (for example from SIMS or Facility Admin to Progresso).

The survey can be completed by clicking the link below.

If you have any questions please let me know!

Thanks in advance for your help.

https://www.esurveycreator.com/s/65210cc

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

I tried to complete your survey but I couldn't get past question 1:

Thank Post
    If you try now it should work. I had to suspend it momentarily and make a slight amendments. Cheers :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK. Survey completed and submitted.

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

Thank Post
    No, thank you for completing it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tholding View Post
    No, thank you for completing it.
    No problem. Good luck with the dissertation and welcome to Edugeek.

7. Thanks to DaveP from:

tholding (3rd January 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Would you share, even privately, your finished piece. Would be interesting to read...

Plus, would prove you are not just a supplier looking for market research. We had someone ask basically the same last year too.

Thank Post
    Yes of course. I understand your concerns. To help releive those concerns I'll paste below parts of my ethical approval form which you may find interesting and relevant:

1. What is the aim of your study? What are the objectives for your study?
    Cloud computing is becoming more prevalent within small to medium enterprises (SMEs). The aim of the study is to clearly establish the key differences between an in-house MIS solution and a cloud based MIS solution. This will increase understanding on why the shift is occurring as well as offering a resource to key decision makers within organisations when deliberating over whether or not to make the change. As explained by (Tak, Urgaonkar, & Sivasubramaniam, 2011) this is not a straightforward question to answer as applications vary vastly from SME to SME. Therefore I am going to focus my study on two popular MISs within the education sector in order to give my study a specific subject matter while also identifying areas of comparison which can be transferred to MISs within other sectors. The primary objectives of the research are:
    > Compare and evaluate the performance indicators (Memory usage, retrieval times CPU usage and reliability), cost and customer experience across two MISs with the use of network monitoring tools and questionnaires

> Identify the benefits, concerns and potential impact of moving to a cloud based MIS

2. Explain the rationale for this study (refer to relevant research literature in your response).

The popularity of cloud computing is increasing due to the commercial potential it offers as well as the ability to assist an organisation to succeed (Intel, 2012). The computing paradigm has evolved from users connecting from terminals to powerful mainframes and has arrived at Cloud computing which allows the user to ‘exploit all available resources on the Internet in a scalable and simple way’ (Voas & Zhang, 2009). However, as well as the promise of cost reduction and scalability potential, there are many questions that have been raised with regards to if the Cloud is now a suitable option for organisations to migrate their MIS from an in-house solution onto the Cloud.

The Cloud is not the only options for organisations in the pursuit of improving their business, indeed Service-Orientated Computing (SOC) and Grid Computing have been a around for sometime (Dillion et al., 2010). My study will enable me to either justify why Cloud computing is the more favourable option for MIS migration or allow me to suggest alternatives and how Cloud computing can learn from the related paradigms. In addition to this I hope to suggest a way that Cloud computing could improve and where it is currently lacking: High Performance Computing (HPC). This will be an interesting avenue to explore as I look to establish the future of Cloud Computing and how technological advances can enhance the user experience.

Concerns
    One particular issue (Intel, 2012) raised is the uncertainty IT professionals have with the location and infrastructure of the Cloud. For example, a network manager can be confident in the measures he has put in place to ensure the security of his own environment, whereas a Cloud infrastructure typically has servers located across the globe, which can be shared amongst several businesses. This broad network access raises questions for the IT professional around the uncertainty of how the Cloud is meeting certain compliance requirements. These concerns are only exasperated by the increased number of security breaches users are seeing in the Cloud in comparison to traditional IT infrastructure.

Benefits
    Looking specifically at cloud migration in education, it has increasingly been considered as not only a beneficial, but also viable option for many schools (Sultan, 2010). The financial crisis leading to cuts in governmental education spending have been attributed for the reasons as to why schools are seriously considering the move, with the promise of cost cutting through cloud migration too good an opportunity to turn down. An example of this being the University of Westminster. My study will try where possible to make the research relevant to the education sector while also discussing the transferrable areas of interest, for example Security, Performance, On-demand self service, Broad network access, Resource pooling, Rapid elasticity, Measured Service and Flexible Service Granularity (Azeemi et al., 2013). In addition to this there is wide discussion on Cloud adoption and Interoperability and breaks these two main sections down into subsections which will provide a good basis of future research, for example costing and service level agreements (Dillon et al., 2010). There will also be investigation into what is new about this computing paradigm and how it can benefit the consumer such as scalability, simplicity and pricing (Grossman, 2009).

I hope that helps :-)
    Last edited by tholding; 3rd January 2014 at 06:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Done.

11. Thanks to FN-GM from:

tholding (4th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Done too....

13. Thanks to hawc from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Done

15. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wow. My apologies for the insinuation. I really would like to read the final piece when finished if that is appropriate. Personal interest.

I will reply when I am next at my PC

17. Thanks to GREED from:

Thank Post
    Done, good luck with it

19. Thanks to TechieWils from:

Thank Post
    Done. I've worked with Tom previously on his placement year, anyone reading this in a position to complete it, please do, he's a good lad, and I too can confirm he doesn't work for a supplier doing a bit of research, he's legit.

21. Thanks to michael2k6 from:

Thank Post
    Done. Good luck.

23. Thanks to pcstru from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast