+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Dissertation Help in Technical; Survey done. Definitely interested in seeing the finished piece. Originally Posted by GREED Would you share, even privately, your finished ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Survey done. Definitely interested in seeing the finished piece.

Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Would you share, even privately, your finished piece. Would be interesting to read...

Plus, would prove you are not just a supplier looking for market research. We had someone ask basically the same last year too.
    Currently working for advanced learning, part of ACS aka the new Serco - so not sure how much bias that introduces. I guess it depends on your conclusion

Thank Post
    He's there on placement though, and that's the whole point. Bear in mind that ACS have Facility, ePortal and Progresso - Facility and ePortal being the locally hosted version and Progresso being the cloud. So it's not as though he's biased towards one or the other, he's worked with both. The work placement is there to help his degree and dissertation, rather than the dissertation being there to help Advanced.

3. Thanks to michael2k6 from:

tholding (4th January 2014)

Thank Post
    I know. just saying is all, as the question was raised.
    All research is funded and it usually comes from the same sector as the topic of discussion.
    In fact an in-house comparison of offerings would be a great case study.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Did I miss somewhere that he is working for ACS? Apologies if I did

Thank Post
    In the profile and OP mentions working for a company

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    See that is why you are a mod

Thank Post
    Thanks to all who have complete the survey, I've had a great response so far, but please do continue to pass the survey onto colleagues

I can assure you there is no bias to my research. As mentioned by Mike (cheers mate) ACS offer in-house AND cloud solutions to education institutes so the outcome of my research won't have any major impact on their business.

The only benefit I get from working for ACS is the access i have to resources i.e. server performances, cloud and security topologies and school contacts.

Once again thanks a lot.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I know. just saying is all, as the question was raised.
    All research is funded and it usually comes from the same sector as the topic of discussion.
    In fact an in-house comparison of offerings would be a great case study.
    The only place the funding of my study is coming from is my back pocket! I'll be paying student fees for years to come :-)

Thank Post
    Done. For information, we're using locally-hosted SIMS.

One comment: many of the questions relate to the "reliability" of the MIS. While the inherent stability of any product is always a factor, I think it should be noted that, if you're hosting it locally, the way one might answer those questions - indeed, the way that I have answered many of them - is likely to be skewed by how reliable and well-developed the underlying infrastructure is (re IT strategy and Development Plans, available time and funding etc). It's something that applies far less, if at all, when using someone else's infrastructure.

Consequently, comparing the reliability of any MIS product running on local vs hosted infrastructure will lead to apples and pears in a sense, as different schools using (for the sake of argument) a single cloud-based infrastructure or MIS solution provider are more likely to experience any reliability issues "across the board", whereas for a group of schools each using the same MIS on their wildly varying infrastructures, it's more likely that any issues experienced would have considerably greater scope for variety.

(I'm not saying these questions or the survey itself aren't appropriate, just potentially some food for thought for when you come to justify the evidence used in the dissertation as it's a typical hole that people like to poke in academic studies - damn troublemakers!)

Also, are you drawing a distinction between: 1) a MIS that could just as well be locally-hosted, but happens to be hosted elsewhere; and 2) a MIS designed from the ground up for cloud-based hosting (e.g. web-based perhaps)?
    Last edited by Ephelyon; 4th January 2014 at 07:53 PM.

11. Thanks to Ephelyon from:

tholding (4th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    Done. For information, we're using locally-hosted SIMS.

One comment: many of the questions relate to the "reliability" of the MIS. While the inherent stability of any product is always a factor, I think it should be noted that, if you're hosting it locally, the way one might answer those questions - indeed, the way that I have answered many of them - is likely to be skewed by how reliable and well-developed the underlying infrastructure is (re IT strategy and Development Plans, available time and funding etc). It's something that applies far less, if at all, when using someone else's infrastructure.

Consequently, comparing the reliability of any MIS product running on local vs hosted infrastructure will lead to apples and pears in a sense, as different schools using (for the sake of argument) a single cloud-based infrastructure or MIS solution provider are more likely to experience any reliability issues "across the board", whereas for a group of schools each using the same MIS on their wildly varying infrastructures, it's more likely that any issues experienced would have considerably greater scope for variety.

(I'm not saying these questions or the survey itself aren't appropriate, just potentially some food for thought for when you come to justify the evidence used in the dissertation as it's a typical hole that people like to poke in academic studies - damn troublemakers!)

Also, are you drawing a distinction between: 1) a MIS that could just as well be locally-hosted, but happens to be hosted elsewhere; and 2) a MIS designed from the ground up for cloud-based hosting (e.g. web-based perhaps)?
    I agree, IT strategy, development plans, available time and funding etc can have a direct implication on the reliability of a given system and thus implicate how one may answer the survey, but I take no issue with this.

The reason being is that the factors you've mentioned may impact the locally hosted MIS (and thus how one may answer the survey) and not an MIS hosted on the cloud, however there will be factors that impact the reliability of a cloud based MIS, which won't be relevant to the internal solution. All I'm really after is a very high level view of the end users experience, and if you consider these other factors when answering the survey thats great, but not everyone will be privy to that level of detail of an organisations IT infrastructure, so the fact the questions can be (to a certain extent) left to interpretation doesn't overly concern me. The more people I get to answer the survey, the better, as it's averages I'm after. It would be near impossible for me to complete an undergraduate dissertation (when considering the time constraints and resources available to us) to that level of detail. So as I said, the very high level view of the end users experience is fine.

This is not to say I won't address the issue you've raised when writing the analysis of my findings, but the main thrust of my argument will come from the quantitative data I will receive from the server monitoring tools.

Thank Post
    Done! Would be really interested to read the dissertation if you were willing to share it?

14. Thanks to s1monb from:

tholding (6th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Done

I too would be interested in the outcome

16. Thanks to mark80 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Done. Although my comments are objectively based, I am working on the supplier side of the market.

rad
    Thank Post
    done........

19. Thanks to rad from:

Thank Post
    Done... Interested to see the results.

21. Thanks to Oaktech from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast