+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, New server, new install tips in Technical; Just got a new server to install sims on, any tips ? I'm not doing virtualisation as I don't have ...

Thank Post

New server, new install tips

Just got a new server to install sims on, any tips ? I'm not doing virtualisation as I don't have the knowledge or time - so this will be a standalone server.
    I'm thinking Raid 10 , but not sure what OS or sql version

Thank Post
    We are having a new server configured today with the help of LEA.
    Mine is virtual with hyper V.
    We have Server 2012 running SQL 2008 R2.

3. Thanks to maark from:

caffrey (3rd January 2014)

Thank Post
    If you don't mind the Windows 8 style interface for Windows Server 2012 go for that. (Just be aware Capita does not support Windows Server 2012R2 yet)
    However Windows Server 2008R2 is probably going to be cheaper.

I would go for SQL 2008R2 as although SQL 2012 is supported it has a few niggles.
    Just be aware that Capita's drop date for SQL 2008R2 is Autumn 2014 release.

If only a small amount of users are going to be on SIMS, take a look at Express edition of SQl.
    Its free but limits you to a database size of 10GB's, 1GB of RAM and 1 CPU.

If you are going to have a large amount you might want to have a look at Standard.
    You have to pay a license fee and you are limited to 4 CPU's.

I would recommend at single disk or small array on RAID 1 for the operating system.
    For the databases, an array of at least 3 disks on RAID 5 for the databases. If a disk fails you will have reduced performance but no data loss.

Hopefully this is helpful and not too rambling

5. 3 Thanks to Ghostgame:

Alis_Klar (8th January 2014), caffrey (3rd January 2014), vikpaw (3rd January 2014)

Thank Post
    Cheers for the info,
    Shame about 2012R2, when they say not supported what does that mean ? I'd rather have the latest of everything on to save updating later. Also what niggles for sql 2012 ?

Thank Post
    Means if you get an issue with your SIMS databases or system on the server, Capita might not give you any help.
    Usually by extension your LA won't either.

My niggles with SQL 2012 have been:
    - there has not been an installable release yet for SQL2012 (ETA is January but based on the Summer 2 release). Means some parts can't be installed via SIMSInst and have to be done manually.
    - has broke B2B on every server I have switched the school over too. Got round it by creating the tasks manually but have nearly fixed the issue with Capita's help so they can be created manually again. (Been distracted by the SIMS update)

Thank Post
    Just be aware, Windows Server "unsupported" would mean restoring the database onto a supported OS then replicating the issue before Capita would deal with any problems you log. "Unsupported" SQL Server is... well lets just say you can't restore a backup from a higher version of SQL Server to a lower version of SQL Server. It's possible, it just involves a world of pain.

I'd be tempted to run on a newer OS - especially after Windows Server 2008 was so problematic compared to R2 version. SQL Server is a no-no.

Thank Post
    @Ghostgame
    - there has not been an installable release yet for SQL2012 (ETA is January but based on the Summer 2 release). Means some parts can't be installed via SIMSInst and have to be done manually.
    Will the effect every future SIMS upgrade untill they fix the issues?

I am also deploying a new server. I am still running Server 2003 R2 with SQL 2008. We have had SIMS for less than 2 years and LA did not mention that 2003 was unsupported. I am not going to panic and try to get the server up and running before the Census this month but will need to get a move on anyway.

We have new hardware waiting to use as our Virtual SIMS server.

I really don't want to have the pain of migrating OS again sooner than I need to hence I want to do the following:

-Install Windows Server 2012 R2 OS instance
    -Install SQL 2008 R2 (buy 2012 license for later upgrade) Is this possible?

The 2003 R2 Server is also a DC for our MIS domain

Thank Post
    It doesn't affect upgrades done by SOLUS2 or 3 (from what I have come across).

SIMSInst.exe basically strings all the .exes in the setups folder (SIMSApplicationSetup.exe, SIMSDatabaseConfigurationSetup.exe, etc) together depending on what tick boxes you select in the 'Install Options' at the start of the wizard.

If you select 'This computer will be used as a SIMS SQL Server', SIMSInst.exe can install the SQL instance, attach/create SIMS/FMS databases and then put in the SQL application files that SIMS needs. At the moment SIMSInst.exe is not configured/designed/written to do this for SQL2012 and does not even pick up that there might be an existing SQL2012 instance to put in the SQL application files that SIMS needs.

Thats why you end up having to manually install the SQL instance, attach database, etc

I would not install Windows Server 2012R2 OS. matt40k has already said why this is a bad idea.
    Windows Server "unsupported" would mean restoring the database onto a supported OS then replicating the issue before Capita would deal with any problems you log.
    If Capita won't support you, usually means your LA won't support you either.

Install SQL 2008 R2 (buy 2012 license for later upgrade) Is this possible?
    Totally possible. Capita have developed a tool which would also help with migrating the databases over from SQL2008R2 to SQL2012 when you make the switch.

I find it a bit remiss of your LA not to have mentioned that MS 2003R2 OS was no longer supported. We have been screaming at schools as soon as we found out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread