+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Lesson marks to marksheets or reports in Technical; I've a feeling this isn't possible but just have to ask Within our SIMS some extra codes have been added ...

Thank Post

Lesson marks to marksheets or reports

I've a feeling this isn't possible but just have to ask
    Within our SIMS some extra codes have been added that the teachers add for lessons. So for each student, rather than just a '/' or 'L' etc they will add a number depending on behaviour during a lesson i.e. 1 to 4.
    I have now been asked whether for each student an average of these lesson marks could be calculated over a period of time to include in marksheets.
    Also whether this average could be included on student individual reports.
    Has anyone else been down this route?

Thank Post
    Urgh nope, this is what the behaviour module is for...

Thank Post
    Thanks for that!
    But our SLT have implemented the above and I'm now left to try and extract the data they require (yes, maybe they should have thought about that before).
    So wondered if anyone had been through something similar?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can't see anything in the Lesson Monitor reports. AFAIK there is no way to call individual reports in to a marksheet using AM7. Are you using this for AM/PM by the way? If so you should probably check it isn't affecting your census.

But as @budgester says, that is what the Behaviour module is for. The registers should really be used to record attendance and it is very quick to add a behaviour incident from the register. This is going to end in pain when it comes to working out attendance figures for lessons.

Personally we record behaviour by creating a column in the reports template and getting the staff to fill in 1-5 based on a student's conduct over the entire reporting period. Any who misbehave often soon find themselves in SLT hands when they rack up enough behaviour incidents.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the feedback CAM. It is not being used for AM/PM so there should be no registration issues.

Their argument is that even though they are adding a number instead of a '/' it is still recording attendance at lessons, just adding an extra layer of information. The fact that the teacher has given them a number in the lesson means they have attended the lesson and whatever the number is gives an indication of their attitude in lessons.

We carry out a similar process for our reports already as yourselves, a staff judgement on the student's attitude to learning included on their report for each subject.

I think I will give it up as a bad job. I can extract the information via a report to excel and carry out some analysis that way but hoped I might be able to do it directly within a marksheet. I suppose thinking about it I could do the analysis in excel, create some aspects in SIMS to suit, then import to SIMS. This way I could include on marksheets and reports.

Thank Post
    The problem with this approach is that registers should be taken at the start of the lesson so the missing pupils are found. As a general rule in computing NEVER combine two pieces of data in a single field! More importantly by not using the behaviour features the school will not be able to use the full analysis that makes a difference. Here's a link to an article by the Educating Yorkshire school about managing behaviour Managing behaviour the

7. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

CAM (20th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Registers ARE taken at the beginning of the lesson, everyone in attendance is given a default '2' and any who show outstanding behaviour or poor behaviour have their code changed during/end of lesson.
    The behaviour features ARE used and from what I can see are used to good effect, as I stated previously SLT believe this is an additional layer of information.
    I read the article yesterday, I'm not a member of our SLT but that is pretty much the approach they appear to take.
    I will assume that my original query can't be done.

Thank Post
    The other thing that you may not have realised is that when the LA/Government look at your marks, if any have been changed they will want to know why! Anytime ours are changed then a reason has to be given! If teachers are changing attendance marks as the students behaviour changes, then the changes will appear on SIMS and would have to be explained why the changes were made. Which could then cause a major headache!!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What marks do they apply to though regarding changes? Are they for lesson marks or for AM/PM?

Thank Post
    Hello DamnedGood,

We use this system in our school on a 1 - 3 system and each week run the report and send it to all form tutors so students can write their marks in their planners and I publish the students with 75 points on the website and TV screens. Students who get 75 points all year get a letter sent home. We export the data and use a pivot table to filter the data our attendance officer produces the report.

If I can help at all please give me a shout

12. Thanks to liamvaughan from:

DamnedGood (23rd December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks, that's really helpful, I will PM you in the New Year if that's ok with you.

Thank Post
    No problem at all

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread