+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Out Of Memory in Technical; Any idea what this error message means? Although SIMS likes to kick me out a couple of time a day ...

Thank Post

SIMS Out Of Memory

Any idea what this error message means? Although SIMS likes to kick me out a couple of time a day as a matter of routine, the frequency of my system crashing has increased the last week or so.

The other users in my office don't appear to be affected and the rest of my system seems to be running pretty quickly (thankfully my machine is OK and not something out of the ark) so I don't think it is down to system resources.

I have logged a call with CAPITA who have promised to call me back when they have looked into the matter, but thought I'd have a pop at asking on here too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    There are all sorts of things that could be causing it but the most common seems to be running large reports. If you're trying to run a report on the whole school for inmstance, try running it a year group at a time and seeing if that helps.

Thank Post
    That's the thing I rarely run reports at all let alone large ones, I usually work on small sized templates and have been all week.

Thank Post
    Do you run sophos anti virus? I had an issue with a couple of machines where it would kick the user our with an error about system resources. I looked up the KB number in supportnet and it suggested if using Sophos to disable on access scanning for the sims setups and local install of SIMS. Not sure if it's fixed the problem but I've not seen the error since.

5. Thanks to bladedanny from:

Xeba37 (17th December 2013)

Thank Post
    The antivirus is Symantec but I will have a go doing the same thing with that and see if that helps. Thanks

Thank Post
    Running some tasks in SIMS maybe trigger your AV to deny SIMS access to the RAM, resulting in an Out of memory error. Temporary disable your AV and runt he same tasks. Also, it mite be wise to monitor your RAM usage using task manager.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Just using SIMS uses up memory, so the more active you are the more it will eat up. If you don't have much RAM to begin with then it just keeps compounding. I put some very rough figures into one of the benchmarking threads. Just accessing basic student details can cause it to build up.
    If you actually 'work' you're in for trouble. Reports are a big culprit, as is manipulating, especially bulk importing photos, large marksheets, even just editing lots of records.
    If it happens to you a few times through the day, i'd be requesting some more RAM for the PC (if it's 64bit, you're stuck if you're on XP x86), and also suggest closing SIMS every hour for a minute and let it refresh - a good time to take an eye rest break as per ICT usage policy

Thank Post
    what are your virtual memory settings? They should be auto. Some legacy programs are hardwired to use it

Thank Post
    Once common issue is not closing windows in SIMS. If you open various windows and instead of closing them, open more, SIMS struggles after 10+ windows are open. Monitor it by going to the 'Window' menu from time to time and seeing what windows are still open within SIMS.

11. Thanks to Rawns from:

vikpaw (17th December 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread