+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, MIS - easy to manage 3 separate schools (dfe's) in Technical; You I take it? Don't think they would send it to me!!...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You I take it? Don't think they would send it to me!!

Thank Post
    Lol, no, I'm sure I can arrange them to send it to you instead, just remember to pay within the 28 days otherwise the Capita mob come after you - oh and no tag backs!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Damn it...

Thank Post
    Yes everyone does have a product now but my point stands. I've nothing to gain from my statement which is don't limit yourself to what's on that framework.

Thank Post
    To get back to the question in point.

We ran for 3 years with two separate Academies who shared a 6th form. We tried Partnership X (it was in it's early days) but it just didn't work at the time but we were trying to 'fudge' it as Phil Neal says.

We then added students from each site as guests at the other site and duplicated the timetable. After creating a script that gave an option which SIMS to load and map the correct drive, teachers then had to fill in two registers for each class! But it still wasn't ideal and it won't help for reporting across students from both sites. But we were able to sort out the Census.

In the end, Management realised that the best way to sort this was to move all 6th form into one of the Academies - although there were more reasons behind this than just getting the MIS to work.

To be honest unless there is a magical product out there that I don't know about, you will not get anything that will give you the best of both worlds: Reporting and Census for the individual DFES entities and reporting / single registration across students who are mixing together from different establishments.

This isn't because it is technically possible, it's because very few establishments work like this and so there's no business model for someone to write the software.

Waiting for someone to prove me wrong!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Yes everyone does have a product now but my point stands. I've nothing to gain from my statement which is don't limit yourself to what's on that framework.
    I agree Phil, completely. However your wording, like this statement too, suggests that providers on the framework did not at the time of evaluation have a product. I realise that is just semantics however it should be made clear to all that everyone on the framework had and has a product. I, you and others would not want is suggested otherwise.

But yes, look at the whole market. If you are not buying off the framework (most individual schools and small academy chains dont), use it as a guide only for providers to look at :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post

To be honest unless there is a magical product out there that I don't know about, you will not get anything that will give you the best of both worlds: Reporting and Census for the individual DFES entities and reporting / single registration across students who are mixing together from different establishments.

This isn't because it is technically possible, it's because very few establishments work like this and so there's no business model for someone to write the software.

Waiting for someone to prove me wrong!
    I know it doesn't help you for now, but the issue you are raising with census and your schools, because of your setup, will subside in a couple of years as per the mentioned DfE transformation projects.

I am not aware (any more) of products currently on the market that can solve this suitably for you

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    I've nothing to gain from my statement which is don't limit yourself to what's on that framework.
    Yes, why would you want to undermind a framework that gives simple vendor-neutral comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    I'd really recommend the IMLS... it brought a couple of unexpected players to our attention, and we got a good deal, even if one naughty naughty player did try to lure us away from the framework with promises of better pricing.
    Why would a vendor want to lure people away from a framework that gives simple vendor-neutral comparison?

I'm sure the two aren't linked. Excuse me whilst I just go hoover my carpet.

Thank Post
    Hi,

We've been in the same position as the OP for a year or so now and have looked at all the options for having 3 organisations (soon to be 4) under the same MIS. SIMS & PE was a messy - not really live solution which couldn't do a lot of the things we wanted (siblings in different schools, shared staff, global view, reporting across the sites etc.). The Serco product was a virtual non starter as well. The only option at the time that seemed to do it all was Aspen which still looks best in my opinion and we're about to start the process of migrating separate SIMS and CMIS databases into it.

My only concern with Aspen is the apparent lack of third party support (which they say they're working on but as we all know ......). Things that extract data directly at the moment are currently not supported (VLEs such a Frog etc. Truancy call, Vivomiles and many more).

When we started our queries we were pretty much the first people to ask and it kind of caught the MIS suppliers on the back foot as they'd not considered that this might be a requirement across a Trust. I'm sure by now many more have asked and they will certainly need to come up with a solution or loose out to those that already have one.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In response to the original post, Progresso's data architecture is one of multiple schools under a single cluster. This approach allows for additional MIS functionality, such as pushing reports to individual schools within the cluster, managing system settings/users accounts/learner records e.t.c without the constant logging in and out of each school, plus the ability to report on all the data within each school without the need for 3rd party interfaces to name a few.

If it helps, here's an example of a cluster dashboard.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgressoGeek View Post
    In response to the original post, Progresso's data architecture is one of multiple schools under a single cluster. This approach allows for additional MIS functionality, such as pushing reports to individual schools within the cluster, managing system settings/users accounts/learner records e.t.c without the constant logging in and out of each school, plus the ability to report on all the data within each school without the need for 3rd party interfaces to name a few.

If it helps, here's an example of a cluster dashboard.
    Yes, but this isn't the scenario that the OP is talking about. This is 3 separate schools on paper but in reality, they are all mixed together. So can Progresso mix students and staff from the individual schools together and handle the timetable for that? Can it report on those classes of mixed students for attendance and assessment, behaviour etc. And at the same time unpick all that data to tie it back together for the individual establishments when it comes to the Census and other necessary reporting?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It would be nice to confirm too to the market one point that is going round: is Progresso one central database for all schools (as in all your customers whether connected or not), or is it an installation per organisation (individual school or trust of schools)?

Thank Post
    I've not come across SchoolBase in the state sector - can it do a census return?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nice speculative dig there @PhilNeal

I have to agree though, there are several musts in the state sector that is must accomodate, census being one of them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
    we don't currently work with any state schools
    If I was as cynical as @GREED I'd say this is why he hit the like button
    Last edited by matt40k; 8th January 2014 at 03:43 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast