+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Web Parts in Technical; Hello, As a school we are actively looking at moving back to SIMS.Net from CMIS. Now one the (very few) ...

Thank Post

SIMS Web Parts

Hello,

As a school we are actively looking at moving back to SIMS.Net from CMIS. Now one the (very few) advantages of CMIS over SIMS was ePortal, in that it allowed staff access to enter assessment data, view records and also to do attendance via a web-browser which means they can access it from home.

Now I've read that SIMS do Web Parts and wondered what people think of them? I was possibly thinking because the Web Parts replicate the functions we want staff to have access we can just give them access to this and they can enter their data in and not show/install SIMS.Net Client for them. What are people's thoughts on this? The only other thought was to setup a Citrix/Ericom environment for them to access it that way from home.

One thing I do want to avoid is having SIMS.Net in school and Web Parts from home - staff I think could get confused and also the training issues surrounding this.

Thanks,

Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: SIMS Web Parts

Oh Dear,

SIMS also say that it works!

There is a another thread re Personnel and SIMS another module that does not work inasmuch that you cannot change any data once it is loaded e.g. if you get a pay rise (unlikely I know) or change your address the system is unable to accept it.

Having worked with both I know exactly which MIS I would choose and it is not SIMS. Capita have had a monopoly for so long and their support is awful closing jobs without resolving them the awful upgrades need I go on?

Thank Post

Windows Terminal Server.

Install SIMS.Net on it and your Staff can then access SIMS.Net from home.

Thank Post

They is a new version of webparts due to be released on 15th December as far as I know.

Not sure if anything has been added or its just fixes from previous versions.

Thank Post

Hasn't the price for SIMS web parts just increased by a long way? I was under the impression that now they know a lot of schools are moving over to using it - they have raised the price somewhat - which is nice of them.

Tom

Thank Post

The new version is a complete re-write based on feedback from the first generation of our webparts. It is significantly more configurable, there are lots of new features and it is based on MOSS 2007.

Thank Post

Is there a release date and price available?

Thank Post

I have to admit that we are running behind but I am confident that they will be released in December 07. Pricing depends on a lot a factors so LAs can get bulk discounts, we can host SharePoint for you etc. Our sales desk can help with the pricing 01234 838080.

Thank Post

thanks for that.

Thank Post

<Edited due to unauthorised advertising>

PM Sent.

Thank Post

SIMS.net is good choice - and we too awaiting the webparts!! The webparts do follow the same routines and functions as the Sims.net Client and ultimately staff should use both as it may be better off if staff are on site to the use the client and when their off site use the webparts.

Thank Post

Hi Rob, as an LSU, we have 3 secondary schools very interested in taking on learning gateway. Their main requirement for them is to be able to access both Assessment Manager and Profiles on a read/write basis. The new version will allow them to do this. There are other benefits as well, in respect of allowing read only access for parents and pupils. Also as an LSU if we host LG, then not only does it mean it's easier to support but the price is reduced significantly for the schools.

I also saw a presentation by a school who were using LG as 'watered down' version of a VLE. This is something that we are investigating for our Primary schools instead of an over-complicated VLE.

In terms of having 'full rights' we are looking at alternative solutions for the admin staff who require full acces. However from discussions with the schools the number of staff this applies to is minimal. They certainly don't want all staff to have full access rights.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggy View Post
    Hi Rob, as an LSU, we have 3 secondary schools very interested in taking on learning gateway. Their main requirement for them is to be able to access both Assessment Manager and Profiles on a read/write basis. The new version will allow them to do this. There are other benefits as well, in respect of allowing read only access for parents and pupils. Also as an LSU if we host LG, then not only does it mean it's easier to support but the price is reduced significantly for the schools.

I also saw a presentation by a school who were using LG as 'watered down' version of a VLE. This is something that we are investigating for our Primary schools instead of an over-complicated VLE.

In terms of having 'full rights' we are looking at alternative solutions for the admin staff who require full acces. However from discussions with the schools the number of staff this applies to is minimal. They certainly don't want all staff to have full access rights.

Hi, I know it's been a while since this thread, I apologise for that. Could you please let me know how and wher did you get sims LG version? Last time we had a meeting with a 3rd party VLE supplier they said that we couldn't get the write access to sims webpart version as we had to sign up for the full sims VLE.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Hi, I know it's been a while since this thread, I apologise for that. Could you please let me know how and wher did you get sims LG version? Last time we had a meeting with a 3rd party VLE supplier they said that we couldn't get the write access to sims webpart version as we had to sign up for the full sims VLE.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    You could try and speak directly to CAPITA and purchase the webparts from them to add into your own VLE - sharepoint etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread