+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Tasc Insight Student view and performance in Technical; Hi we are looking at getting Insight and I've had a search through posts but can't find anything on allowing ...
    Thank Post

Tasc Insight Student view and performance

Hi

we are looking at getting Insight and I've had a search through posts but can't find anything on allowing students to access Insight on a whole school basis. This is what we would like to do:

• SSO with AD.
    • Send all students to their Insight page at login.
    • Display to them on the front page their attendance, behaviour key stats, assessment targets with progress, messages, cashless catering balance (AMI Easytrace), print balance (Pcounter), library books due (Oliver), and any assignments set.

Now I know we won't get all of this out of the box, particularly for the 3rd party integrations, but you can see what we are trying to achieve - giving students data that is of interest to them.

My question is: Is anybody also working towards this / achieved this to some degree? If so, what are your thoughts, are you happy with it? Am I looking in the wrong direction with Insight - is there some fantastic product out there that I am missing?

I know Insight started off as a Parental info solution and we will want to use it for that also, but we are really keen to use it with students.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi
    We have Parents, Staff and students using Insight probably students the most.

1. Can link Students to AD accounts we have done this, you just need to get their student no or Person Id into their Employee ID in AD. Not sure about SSO there is an option to Check AD names against student names when logging in but not sure this would cause SSO.
    2. We do a similar thing with Moodle using GPO to load Moodle when students start so would be possible to send all students to Insight page.
    3. Can Display Attendance, Behaviour, Notices pretty sure you can display key stats, assessment targets progress, but we just upload reports with all this info on. Not sure about cashless catering, print balances, or library info but Tasc are really helpful and if this is feasible they will try to accommodate this.
    4. Also displays things like Time Tables, Exam information including Exam Timetables as well as attendance has attendance comparisons so how that student is performing in the class and year as regards Attendance.

So as you say success to some extent.
    Last edited by Steven_Cleaver; 12th December 2013 at 07:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi Steven. So what is performance like? I'm concerned that having several hundred students accessing it at login might affect speed - is Insight installed on your SIMS server? (presuming you have SIMS here)

Thank Post
    We have our student home page set to Insight and performance is fine, no issues.

Thank Post
    Hi, We also have Staff , Students Linked with there AD account, You can make them SSO by redirecting them to the /ADSSO.aspx which when inside school signs them in automatically, Yes you need there Admission Numbers in the Employee ID field in AD, Tasc will help you out and should give you a script to mass import them,
    Our students love insight with over 700-800 logins a day most days ,as well as staff and parents total around 1000+ each day no real performance issues at all

Tasc's default page is a snapshot view of Behaviour, Attendance, Homework, Reports, Notices, you can import read only Catering information into Insight as a separate tab best to ask them if they support your system our kitchen system is NRS,
    Regarding library software and pcounter, you can insert links User defined pages into insight, not sure it can pull the data from these types of software yet

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Hi Steven. So what is performance like? I'm concerned that having several hundred students accessing it at login might affect speed - is Insight installed on your SIMS server? (presuming you have SIMS here)
    We haven't tried all students accessing it at the same time most I have tried is about 90 at the same time on staff training day which seemed to work ok, we do use SIM's and it is best to have Insight on a different Server not this if this is a requirement but we have them on separate Servers and once setup seems to work seamlessly and can configure different views for different users easily just tick boxes.
    Last edited by Steven_Cleaver; 14th December 2013 at 07:23 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread