+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Sims Updates in Technical; Whenever there is a Sims Update we have to go around to every single machine and login with an administrator ...

Thank Post

Sims Updates

Whenever there is a Sims Update we have to go around to every single machine and login with an administrator account and then run Start - All Programs Sims Applications - Sims.Net

This is very time consuming because we have over 600 machines is there a way we can let staff do this themselves without giving them an admin account on the machines.

We are also in the process of creating a new image with Sims Pre installed so if we need to give any permissions and stuff for this to work we can do this on the image before we roll it out so this problem wont occur when they have further updates.

Thank Post
    have you tried to apply the simsperm.bat to the staff group

Thank Post
    Have you had a look at Solus3?

Thank Post
    Staff at my school are able to do this without having an admin account nor being part of the administrator group on the machine.

I did this by enabling software restriction policy and allowing the following path rules:

%LocalAppData%\Temp\*.tmp
    %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp\*.tmp
    \\simsserver\simsshare\*
    S:\*

The S drive is mapped and is set to hide through GPP, thus no user can browse the share unless they explicitly type in the drive letter in the address bar.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Use Solus3, it's not the bad bad bogeyman it once was (and some people say still is!). It'll save you a lot of time.
    I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST PUTTING SIMS IN ANY WINDOWS IMAGE. You will bulk out the image unnecessarily and are likely to cause yourself more problems down the line unless you refresh and roll out that image bi-annually.

6. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Ghostgame (10th December 2013)

Thank Post
    @Chuckster You've missed off the Program Files\SIMS\* folder where the application lives!! @Ghostgame has a point, that way users don't have permissions to a protected folder that can undermine software restriction polices. Also you won't have issues with Exams or Nova etc that need to register COM components.

8. Thanks to matt40k from:

Ghostgame (10th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi I know this sounds daft can somebody just please walkthrough and clarify what I need to please eithe MAt40k or Chukster.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Use Solus3, it's not the bad bad bogeyman it once was (and some people say still is!). It'll save you a lot of time.
    I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST PUTTING SIMS IN ANY WINDOWS IMAGE. You will bulk out the image unnecessarily and are likely to cause yourself more problems down the line unless you refresh and roll out that image bi-annually.
    I've had SIMS in my image build for a year without any issues. Staff simply click on the SIMS.Net icon and it'll upgrade itself to the latest version.

Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    @Chuckster You've missed off the Program Files\SIMS\* folder where the application lives!! @Ghostgame has a point, that way users don't have permissions to a protected folder that can undermine software restriction polices. Also you won't have issues with Exams or Nova etc that need to register COM components.
    You're absolutely right!

One thing I forgot to mention in addition to what @matt40k said is that I've got a security group set up called 'SIMS Users' in AD. I've applied this group to the SIMS folder residing on machine (C\Program Files\SIMS) with Full NTFS permissions.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah S3 isn't all bad. Wouldn't say its 'there yet' but its usable. The UI still seems like it was designed by someone who has never used a single piece software in their lives but it actually does the job now. Mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    I've had SIMS in my image build for a year without any issues. Staff simply click on the SIMS.Net icon and it'll upgrade itself to the latest version.
    Sure, but imo its not great to roll out obsolete software and make the user upgrade it to the latest version, but that's just me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As above. I'd rather not fill systems with cack - as an employee of Capita I'd be shot if I ever suggested doing that! SIMS doesn't need any help in filling up with cack , it's quite good at that on it's own!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Make the teachers AD group power users on the local machine, that will fix it.

Otherwise use Solus 3, but its very bloated.

Thank Post
    Can somebody please give me some clear instructions on what to do please I have just created the Security Group for all the Sims Users.

Now what do I do next please because I am confused at the moment.

Thank Post
    On the interface issue we're making some huge improvements. Should be out March 14.

16. 3 Thanks to PhilNeal:

sparkeh (10th December 2013), TheScarfedOne (11th December 2013), zag (11th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Are you sure making the AD security group for our Sims Users of the Power Users group will fix this on a Windows 7 machine because the Power User Group doesnt have any more special permissions than a standard user in Windows 7

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    As above. I'd rather not fill systems with cack - as an employee of Capita I'd be shot if I ever suggested doing that! SIMS doesn't need any help in filling up with cack , it's quite good at that on it's own!
    As an employee that last sentence is more worthy of being shot for.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast