+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Sims Permissions in Technical; Is it me? I am often asked to give a user access to a particular process in Sims by being ...

Thank Post

Sims Permissions

Is it me? I am often asked to give a user access to a particular process in Sims by being told the path in SIMs, today it was Tools. setups, Student Teacher View . So I get out my latest permissions spreadsheet and eventually find the relevant ticks in the boxes, tho here I am offered set up (all panels) or set up STV panel only. I don't have specific knowledge of this part of sims to know what the difference between these might be.

I then open up system manager and attempt to find the relevant setting in the Permissions part of system manager to add it to a group for the user. I'm then faced with sections which have some similarity to the permissions spreadsheet and some similarity to the actual usage of sims, but the names are not quite the same and are in quite a different order. And in todays case I can't find it at all.

It seems to often happen that I am left trying to line up 3 separate things to work out what to do. Can capita not manage to give things the same name and appear in the same order in Sims, on the spreadsheet and in the actual permissions set up.
    Is there a magic solution to all this which I have missed, staff responsibilities do not always fit neatly into capitas groups?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,159 Posts
    Don't worry, it's not you, it can be very confusing, and take a lot of trial and error.I rarely look at the perms sheet, and just go hunting in sysman. We have lots of groups to give access to single tasks / processes, that sit on top of our core groups.

Thank Post
    We do that (make additional user groups with one or two permissions) too.
    It doesn't help that the spreadsheet is formatted for printing (although goodness knows what size bit of paper you'd need) rather than filtering.

Thank Post
    I reset the user password and play with System Manager until I get the right boxes ticked (it's like the krypton factor) and then log in as 'them' with temp password so I can check what I have done. Our site is huge so it often saves a walk!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Trial and error in systems manager is usually the quickest way!

Its a lot better than it used to be in version 6!

Thank Post
    I go for the trial and error approach. In fact I have a single account that we use purely to see if the permissions do what we need it to so we do not have to use the teachers own SIMS account. This means they can carry on working while I find the right tick, which can take a day or two.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    I find that the spreadsheet is very helpful and has helped me gain a fairly good insight into permissions, I find that permissions are catered for in the differing roles within the school and have never needed to create a bespoke template for users to access certain things its all in the spreadsheet.

Well done Capita

Ohh and the latest updates have made the system so much quicker, have been able to drop memory down to 6GB, still less than a second to login box and then 6 - 8 secs to desktop page staff have been quick to let me know which can only be a good thing yeah.............

Thank Post
    Sometimes though the spreadsheet is not 100% clear on what permissions you need for certain tasks. For example I set up vba excel templates in sims so that immediatley teachers download the spreadsheet from sims it would calulate the data for them. One teacher came to me as there was a problem and I noticed that spreadsheet where coming up with 1 & 0 as the students result whereas when I downloaded it the student data was what was in assesment manager. I remembered that teachers need special permissions to run reports with assesment data. I checked the permissions spreadsheet which was not helpful and I called npw and the guy had no clue (makes me wonder as he seemed a bit cluless alltogether).

So what I did was printed off what permissions I had, played around with the teachers permissions, once I added a permission logged into sims on another computer with a teachers username and password then checked if it works and it took me 20mins of doing this to finally figure out what specific permssion was needed to download assesment data from routines.

Like others have said the best thing to do is trial and error as you may find a solution much quicker than ringing capita

Thank Post
    I had a similar case to @chrisateen needed a permission to grant read access to results, so that they could be accessed through the reporting engine. The default groups are fine, but the only group this was in was assessment operator / manager, so that imparts way too many other permissions. The only solution was to make a custom group and apply it to all.

I guess it depends on how you use the system. As for fast systems @bossman - that's irrelevant, you're just showing off

10. Thanks to vikpaw from:

bossman (7th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I had a similar case to @chrisateen needed a permission to grant read access to results, so that they could be accessed through the reporting engine. The default groups are fine, but the only group this was in was assessment operator / manager, so that imparts way too many other permissions. The only solution was to make a custom group and apply it to all.

I guess it depends on how you use the system. As for fast systems @bossman - that's irrelevant, you're just showing off
    You just reminded me Vikpaw that you also need to be careful when playing with permissions as you want enough permissions for the person to do what they need to do but not too much that they can do a lot more other things as well

@bossman I think we need proof as currently whilst typing this on my phone I've been waiting for SIMS to export a report from SIMS so I can check the teachers comments are not too long. Loging in takes forever where I am

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    @vikpaw:

Your absolutely right!......................I mean in how you use the system, each school has different requirements as to the way they impart and develop their schools data.

I was trying to exert the virtue's of Capita's role strategy within Sims user groups and as a system it can and does give the required roles and permissions for schools right out of the box.

It is good in the fact also that you can dive in and give extra permissions to certain user groups,

Now you know me better than that @vikpaw I don't show off it's good to let people know what can be achievable from a virtualised MIS system now isn't it?

Are you @ BETT this year?

Thank Post
    You BETT I am! Champagne and caviar as usual?

I remember @chrisateen that a while back, for certain permissions to work they relied on other permissions, or at lease certain screens do random validations of data that are not even present. One prime example of this was next of kin info for staff. For ages i had to give a fixed group a single view of next of kin details as it was validated on a save in another area. Completely crazy. You don't wanna know how long it took me to find out that was the required permission.

As for the speed issues - i should mention this in the other threads, we recently had some power problems and found that it massively affected the server speed. Not having a smooth supply was a major issue on report speed, and even with a UPS going into out blade chassis it decided that due to underpowering it would at random throttle 3 out of 5 blades! Big issue that i caught by luck and not something that you'd think to check.

14. Thanks to vikpaw from:

bossman (7th January 2014)

Thank Post
    @vikpaw @bossman

I know this thread isn't about speed so I will just quickly touch on the topic. Coincidentally as I am typing this I am waiting for SIMS to download some reports from Routines that will show teachers comments and once I have set it up correctly will be saving it so that Heads of departments can check the reports in the future.

Before the upgrade running reports was quite slow after the upgrade I have now been waiting for over 20mins now for the report to fully download. The school network here is run by RM and without trying to be negative towards them the network is quite slow but SIMS is awful (if we have issues with SIMS or need to apply patches it is done by NPW).

I wished I had access to the network and have an idea of how the network is setup up and run as I would have made it my mission to sort the SIMS speed out as it's ridiculous. (I would have maybe tried to speak to RM and NPW about the issue if things at my current role was ok and I'm not actively looking for another job).

(P.S after typing this I am still waiting for the report to download )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread