+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Edugeek exclusive!… New Online Reporting product in Technical; This coming Spring we’ll be rolling out our new Online Reporting product, which will be fully integrated with both SIMS ...
    Thank Post

Edugeek exclusive!… New Online Reporting product

This coming Spring we’ll be rolling out our new Online Reporting product, which will be fully integrated with both SIMS and our existing Messaging and Payments products.

The Online Reporting product will draw attendance, behaviour, achievement, curriculum timetables, school and personal details from SIMS automatically and make it all available to parents, students and staff on their smartphone or on web. With real time notifications to inform parents when there is something new to look at and keep engagement high. And we are designing it such that a school can be up and running in about an hour, probably more like 15minutes for schools who already use our other products.

We have now started development and if people are interested we would like over the next few months to give you an insight into our development process, show you our designs and get your feedback on how to make the product the best it can be.

Tim

2. 11 Thanks to Schoolcomms:

GREED (5th December 2013), hallb15 (5th December 2013), howartp (9th January 2014), IWDave (31st January 2014), jumpinjamez (6th January 2014), mark80 (17th January 2014), MattMitchell (16th January 2014), Steven_Cleaver (14th December 2013), tombry (16th December 2013), TurnItOffAndOn (16th December 2013), vikpaw (5th December 2013)

Thank Post

First screens

Below is an early screenshot of the new main menu of our School Gateway app. This comes from the IOS emulator. We are developing on Android and IOS in parallel but progress is typically a bit faster on IOS (generally easier development environment). The Web/HTML development follows later. Once you have made the tough design decisions on how to fit everything into the screen real estate of the smart phone form factor it’s easier to expand up to full size desktop.

Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 16 06 21.jpg

The user interface is actually a relatively small proportion of total work, much of the work (and value!) is in the SIMS data extraction. So far that is progressing as expected as well. Much of the data we have worked with before on other projects, but behaviour and achievement data is totally new for us. (small question on this - do points totals typically get reset each academic year? term?)

One of the big design challenges is how to deal with parents (or staff) with multiple children, potentially at different schools who have different functionality enabled. It’s a relatively small proportion of users, but we want a consistently good experience for all user scenarios. For smartphone we are currently taking the route of selecting a pupil first, then the functionality menu you see above following. With the extra space on web we are still weighing up whether to approach this differently.

4. Thanks to Schoolcomms from:

GREED (13th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    looks good.
    I think different schools will do different things with points. Mostly reset at year end, i'd have thought.
    I was thinking with regards to the workflow - you could mimic SIMS and make it circular, so you can go from student to feature available or pick a feature and see which students have it enabled, or does this add a large overhead.?
    i would imagine pick student first, as the features will be different by school anyway, different reporting times, different trips requesting money...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm still getting over the concept, great idea guys.

Be nice to see if you get more customers giving you feedback on the product designs etc on here!

Thank Post
    Love it.

will fully test it out when/if you all offer it to me like you did the reporting/recording messages stuff last spring.

As a school we reset our points totals every year.

What I'd really love is for it to notify a parent when their child receives a detention, and then reminds them on the day that their child has a detention - would eliminate a good hour of my day.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Schoolcomms View Post
    The Online Reporting product will draw attendance, behaviour, achievement, curriculum timetables, school and personal details from SIMS
    JUST SIMS or is it compatible with other systems?

We're not a SIMS school, but this looks interesting.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I believe it is only SIMS I would love to see compatability with other MIS solutions too!

10. Thanks to GREED from:

vikpaw (16th December 2013)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No Windows Phone? Live tiles would be perfect for a school app!

Thank Post
    No Windows Phone? Live tiles would be perfect for a school app
    I'm afraid not at the moment - we would love to do Windows (and Blackberry), but we are developing for three platforms already (Web, IOS, Android), adding more really slows time to market and increases development, maintenance, and customer support cost. If/when the market share on Windows phone increases we'll do it.

JUST SIMS or is it compatible with other systems?
    Much the same answer I am afraid. We are monogamous with SIMS at present due to market share considerations. It means we can offer a more functional product at a lower price and give better quality customer support than we otherwise could if we tried to be all things to all men.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I'm still getting over the concept, great idea guys.

Be nice to see if you get more customers giving you feedback on the product designs etc on here!
    Is this sarcasm? Without going to off track, what is being delivered here isn't ground breaking. Or am I missing something?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Is this sarcasm? Without going to off track, what is being delivered here isn't ground breaking. Or am I missing something?
    On a mobile app... For parents... tell me there are loads of offerings like this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Schoolcomms View Post
    I'm afraid not at the moment - we would love to do Windows (and Blackberry), but we are developing for three platforms already (Web, IOS, Android), adding more really slows time to market and increases development, maintenance, and customer support cost. If/when the market share on Windows phone increases we'll do it.
    Thought you'd use something platform agnostic, like Xamarin. Also, Blackberry is dead.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To be fair the rest of the market and other markets are still catching up to include windows phone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    On a mobile app... For parents... tell me there are loads of offerings like this?
    No need for a dedicated app if the website is mobile friendly?

18. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

jenny_urey (12th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    No need for a dedicated app if the website is mobile friendly?
    Agreed... still, how many parent portals are?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast