+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
MIS Systems Thread, Edugeek exclusive!… New Online Reporting product in Technical; Originally Posted by Edu-IT But on the flip side, if there's things you need to write, where do you write ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    But on the flip side, if there's things you need to write, where do you write them if you can't write them in SIMS? Sometimes it's handy to be able to put comments in for other staff, so they're aware, but you wouldn't necessarily want that available online.
    Agreed. There is a bit of a missed part on the part of SIMS there. Another MIS I formerly worked for * has a public and private comments section for behavior (and markbook feedback incidentally).

Thank Post
    goes both ways - there are some comments that are useful - but @GREED has my main concern in one.

but it's all well and good to say it's a training issue - staff don't half listen to what they are told, so I can't imagine they would amazingly do so now.

Personally I think it'd be great for them to learn by having a parent see something they shouldn't put - but if the option wasn't there to limit parents from seeing it, I can see SLT saying to not allow that access at all, which completely removes the tool.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tombry View Post
    goes both ways - there are some comments that are useful - but @GREED has my main concern in one.

but it's all well and good to say it's a training issue - staff don't half listen to what they are told, so I can't imagine they would amazingly do so now.

Personally I think it'd be great for them to learn by having a parent see something they shouldn't put - but if the option wasn't there to limit parents from seeing it, I can see SLT saying to not allow that access at all, which completely removes the tool.
    It is a sensible precaution to have. It would allow your school to a) tidy up past data (a concern!) and b) give the SMT a buffer to say 'we will be publishing comments in 6 months, so learn to write decent comments'.

Thank Post
    If functionality is switched off, could it be hidden completely from menu's (or greyed out) rather than saying 'not available' after being clicked on.
    We are working out the best option for what starts on, what can be switched off etc. It's complicated slightly because as a parent you might have children at different schools.

As well as an earliest date, we'd need a latest date - we don't show today's behaviour, or possibly even yesterdays', to parents in case the year team want to intercept and upgrade/downgrade the behaviour.
    We hadn't thought of that, but I can understand the reasoning, we'll quiz people at BETT to see how common this is. It's not challenging but not trivial either (e.g. due to push notifications for new events) we need to figure out the best way to do it.

I think we only show that a behaviour event has taken place, and possibly the number of points - we don't show any detail of the behaviour to parents.
    We have made it so you can switch on behaviour (or achievements) without having to show comments. Alternatively you could use the "only show data from X date forwards" option to only switch on behaviours after staff had been told to keep them clean. Hopefully those two options are sufficient.

Worth remembering that parents are allowed to make a request for a full copy of the data you hold on them. There have been cases of businesses being sued based on comments left by call centre staff in customer records.

I'd also want to make sure that it wasn't sharing bullying incidents with parents, as those are things we track internally and decide if it is bullying - don't need a parent to see that their child was put down as a victim, when they might not actually be a victim.

We actually use 0BP for a couple things that we give detentions for, that I would want parents to be aware of too.
    The 0BP option we are going to do, which would hopefully keep the bullying victim record out (presume 0 points).
    But that would also keep your desirable 0BP events out. Can we persuade you to give them just 1 point?

Discriminating based on behaviour type is probably a step too far for us in this first release, but we will quiz people at BETT and if it is a common need we will find a way to bring it in.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and feedback - really really useful.

Thank Post
    With respect to the "date buffer" for behaviour events i have found that the other argument from a school i worked with wanted behaviour notifications to be sent out at the end of the school day. This allowed for any concerns the school had raised during the day be sent ot parents who, if bothered, could challenge/praise the student on their behaviour. The staff were well trainined and knew they had a professional responsibility to not record garbage.

I think speaking to people at BETT is all well and good but for every reason a school will give you that its a good idea there will be a school say that is a bad one. I suppose your job is to provide the ability to turn functionality on/off. This is where developers can get lazy because its easier to hard code functionality than offer choice.

6. 2 Thanks to mark80:

Schoolcomms (17th January 2014), vikpaw (17th January 2014)

Thank Post
    We got some great feedback from BETT - overall really positive. People were really impressed with responsiveness of the app, especially given the awful WiFi available.

Configuration screens are coming along:

Settings.png

If you fiddle around with the configurations (and hit save) the changes impact all the users on web and in the app instantly which is pretty cool.

We also like to get rid of pointless process steps, and make it easy to get going. So this will be the process for a Schoolcomms messaging or payments customer to start using Online Reporting:

Go to the Online Reporting menu in Schoolcomms
    Click "Turn on Online Reporting"
    Decide if you want to turn anything off
    Hit save

Congratulations your live.

(We'll ring you up after 30 days and if you're happy with it then we'll ask you to pay for it )

8. Thanks to Schoolcomms from:

GREED (30th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It looked great at BETT from what I saw... which was every time I shuffled past the stand!

Thank Post
    It will be interesting to see how it works cross platforms, many groups out there made up of different MIS solutions, that need a solution to sit over all.

Thank Post

Edugeek exclusive!… New Online Reporting product

Surprising as it might seem, especially after Capita released InTouch, @Schoolcomms is SIMS only. Means they have less problems and are more focused. Does however mean they are basically under Capita control.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Does however mean they are basically under Capita control.
    I wound't say that really. Schoolcomms weathered the storm of InTouch being released, and well. It means they sell to 85% of the market. I don't see how that makes them under Capita control?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Surprising as it might seem, especially after Capita released InTouch, @Schoolcomms is SIMS only. Means they have less problems and are more focused. Does however mean they are basically under Capita control.
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I wound't say that really. Schoolcomms weathered the storm of InTouch being released, and well. It means they sell to 85% of the market. I don't see how that makes them under Capita control?
    @Schoolcomms are SIMS only, they could work with other systems via CSV or other imports but it would be messy, at best only semi-automated, and not as tight an integration. They do a job and they do it well.

They have weathered the storm well, as have other partners - it's an interesting discussion and the posts have been moved to this thread Capita partners and the API

to maintain the focus on this one.

14. Thanks to vikpaw from:

matt40k (3rd February 2014)

Home: Telford Office: Wolverhampton Work Travel: all over UK!
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Groupcall are also bringing out a parent reports app soon.

It will be interesting to see how these 2 apps compare. Its a great idea.

TASC insight also runs quite well on an ipad, not tried it on an iPhone yet though.
    Yes...100% compatible on iPad

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123