+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Batch print software for SIMS Student Reports (XML Support) in Technical; Hi All, We need to find a solutions to batch print the Student reports in alphabetical order ( or any ...
    Thank Post

Batch print software for SIMS Student Reports (XML Support)

Hi All,

We need to find a solutions to batch print the Student reports in alphabetical order ( or any order) created in SIMS which is in XML format.

At the moment data team rename the XML file to .DOC file in DOS and print them in silent print which is not supported XML file format. We are quiet happy to pay for a professional software that do the job nicely.
    Is there any software that you guys Use / Recommend?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,380 Times in 1,142 Posts
    I've got a script that will do it.
    hang on..

Edit: BatchPrintXMLFolder.zip

Read it in notepad first to make sure it's not going to break something, and do a test on a folder of 3 files, ordered how you wish. Ours are alphabetical and it does the job how we want.
    I'd advise closing any active programs that might take focus like outlook etc as well even though it's not that kind of script. You'll get a lot of flashing and it goes to your default printer.
    It might need tweaking depending on your system / version of Office.

There are a couple of threads on the topic and I've got loads of variants of that script to do different things like only print the first page off, we also had a few tweaks to the register to allow right click print on XML and bulk printing that is not capped at 15 files, but this script is the easiest method.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 26th November 2013 at 12:25 PM.

3. 4 Thanks to vikpaw:

eean (5th December 2013), lionsl2005 (26th November 2013), Steven_Cleaver (26th November 2013), tombry (3rd December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lionsl2005 View Post
    Hi All,

We need to find a solutions to batch print the Student reports in alphabetical order ( or any order) created in SIMS which is in XML format.

At the moment data team rename the XML file to .DOC file in DOS and print them in silent print which is not supported XML file format. We are quiet happy to pay for a professional software that do the job nicely.
    Is there any software that you guys Use / Recommend?
    Can you explain a bit more, I'm not sure what you want?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I've got a script that will do it.
    hang on..

Edit: BatchPrintXMLFolder.zip

Read it in notepad first to make sure it's not going to break something, and do a test on a folder of 3 files, ordered how you wish. Ours are alphabetical and it does the job how we want.
    I'd advise closing any active programs that might take focus like outlook etc as well even though it's not that kind of script. You'll get a lot of flashing and it goes to your default printer.
    It might need tweaking depending on your system / version of Office.

There are a couple of threads on the topic and I've got loads of variants of that script to do different things like only print the first page off, we also had a few tweaks to the register to allow right click print on XML and bulk printing that is not capped at 15 files, but this script is the easiest method.
    Thanks

Is there a file limit on how many you can print?

Thank Post
    There is in windows 7 for right click printing, but you can hack it out.
    The script has no limit as far as i know it will be limited by the system RAM holding the folder items as an array so pretty massive.

7. Thanks to vikpaw from:

lionsl2005 (26th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Why aren't you just printing them from SIMS?

Thank Post
    We used to export a basic template from SIMS then edit it, plus corrections are done on the files direct rather than go back in to assessment manager to do it.
    I'd have preferred not, but that made life easier for the staff who took them home on memory sticks.
    Plus once exported, you can do clever things if you dare, like insert extra pages from elsewhere.

10. 2 Thanks to vikpaw:

lionsl2005 (26th November 2013), tombry (26th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Plus once exported, you can do clever things if you dare, like insert extra pages from elsewhere.
    This is interesting. Just spent an afternoon with one of our admins stapling reports to attendance sheets. Now you've got me thinking.

How do you do this, @vikpaw? And do you insert a generic sheet onto every report or are your extra pages personal to the student?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTLady View Post
    This is interesting. Just spent an afternoon with one of our admins stapling reports to attendance sheets. Now you've got me thinking.

How do you do this, @vikpaw? And do you insert a generic sheet onto every report or are your extra pages personal to the student?
    Well we do similar, but don't need to combine the attendance sheet as it's already in SIMS, but if for example we wanted to, then that method would work. It could be a generic sheet, but then you may as well modify the original template. Inserting unique data sheets is the most useful especially when for example in our primary they do two separate independent reports out of the system that need collating, e.g. main teacher plus SEN teacher.

I never ended up doing it, they just manually uploaded the docs back into SIMS. The original threads are here:
    Print XML files in bulk
    Printing XML Files in Batch

Worthwhile reads both of them, with lots of hacks and macros.

13. Thanks to vikpaw from:

ICTLady (3rd December 2013)

Thank Post
    @vikpaw

Wouldn't you know it - after asking the other day I came up with a use for myself, and your script just saved me a ton of time.

we don't put student email addy's in sims, but our head of sixth wants them to receive their reports, so I email them out - of course they aren't allowed to download XML files through their school email addy's, so used your script to batch print the lot as PDF.

a life saver my man.

Thank Post
    :O) @tombry
    You should put the emails in, there is an import tool you can use, and Capita also provided a slightly more complicated method for doing it, especially easy if they are all of a fixed format.

Do you use @Schoolcomms at all? As that will send them for you as well, once the emails are in.

16. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Schoolcomms (3rd December 2013)

Thank Post
    :O) @tombry
    You should put the emails in, there is an import tool you can use, and Capita also provided a slightly more complicated method for doing it
    Vik, could you give more details of the methods to do this?
    As to pupils viewing reports we upload to DMS and then make them visible in INSIGHT, all pupils have accounts so can see them at any time from anywhere they have internet access.

Thank Post
    @matt40k has an import tool which is sanctioned by Capita. His tool is easier and does more stuff, but i'm not sure how much support he gives now, development i think stopped, but it should work.

Capita have their own method, which i can't recall the patch numbers but are in a thread here somewhere. You have to run a patch, and provide an upload email file. Then run another patch after.

There are a number of methods, Insight is good. SLG will do it. I'm assuming though that since they are being emailed at the moment, none of these systems are in place. Putting emails in for students is really useful anyway, and then SIMS can feed other systems with the info in the future.

Thank Post
    You can download it here (for free) - http://http://simsbulkimport.codeplex.com/

Not tried it on Autumn 2013 yet, should work however, perhaps if someone could try for me. I've not actively developing it, but I do get the odd request for help and if anyone finds anything that breaks I'll fix it. V2 is pretty much on full stop - Capita suppose to be releasing a similar tool but I don't know any more then that, I guess someone pointed out that it's pretty bad promoting using the Business Objects as a must if Capita themselves and their major partners just write direct SQL, especially when it's vulnerable to SQL injects. It all depends if they try to slap a price tag on it and if the right person asks

20. 2 Thanks to matt40k:

lionsl2005 (5th December 2013), tombry (9th December 2013)

Thank Post
    our LA Support wanted 250 to do it, and I couldn't validate that charge - will definitely use @matt40k's tool though.

matt, I can't get your link to work though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast