+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Contact details - Section 4 and 5 - Student details in Technical; I might be missing something here but we restrict normal members of staff from seeing the Family/Home section (number 5) ...
    Thank Post

Contact details - Section 4 and 5 - Student details

I might be missing something here but we restrict normal members of staff from seeing the Family/Home section (number 5) in SIMS, but we allow them to see the Telephones and Email addresses Section (number 4).

I have just had someone say, do you know about staff not being able to see the parent email addresses. To which i said no one has mentioned it.

Apparently section number 4 and number 5 are different so i was wondering if its possible to make the email addresses from the parents show in the Telephones and Email Addresses section. I can understand why they are different as they are mainly for the parents but i would have thought there would have been a button or a tick box to say, show in Telephones and Email addresses. This would prevent our admin staff from adding in email addresses more than once and also mean records are kept up to date.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Section 4 and 5 of the pupil record are totally different.
    Section 4 is to store telephone and emails for the student themselves.
    Section 5 is family/home and lists the contacts for the student. When you open up each contact section 3 shows their telephone / email details.

People often mistakenly put contact details in section 4 of the student screen, but i would't advise it as built-in reports for contact details won't be accurate.

Why do you restrict access to this area? You could define it to be read-only, so they can view but not edit.
    They should have access to family contact details for an emergency.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to restrict access to that section, but still let them have access to the data via a report, but you'd have to play around and test.
    In the setup you've got now, see if you can get a report with contact details of parents to run with your 'normal' staff. I suspect it might not show anything due to your restrictions, but if it does work, would be a good workaround until you get it sorted.

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

timbo343 (28th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Ive found the problem.

Under the permissions: Students >> Home/Family there was only View (All) set. After a bit of trail and error, i've found it needs to be set to View (All) & Edit (All).
    @vikpaw thanks for the clarification though on the different sections.

Thank Post
    I think there is a bug in the current version of SIMS. Staff with view access do not appear to be able to view all of the contact details that they did in earlier versions and I have reported this to Capita. They will see a bit more detail if they use Student Teacher View.
    I would NEVER give any staff edit permissions on these fields!

6. Thanks to number34 from:

vikpaw (28th November 2013)

Thank Post
    An issue was reported on the 6thSeptember where users with class teacher access were no longer able to viewstudent contact’s details from the student details contacts panel by doubleclicking on the contact when the “open“ button is disabled. Upon investigationit was found that the code was changed by the staff performance moduledevelopment team to prevent users opening a record by double clicking when theydidn’t have the access to the record via the “open” button. The double click will bere-activated in the autumn release so that userswith class teacher access will be ableto view read onlyinformation about contacts. Please note class teacher access users can stillsee most of contacts details via the “student teacher view”. We apologise forthe inconvenience caused.

Fixed in this coming release.

8. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

vikpaw (28th November 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread