+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, I need to reboot the server once a week or Sims runs very slow or grinds to a halt. in Technical; I found that ironic that he talks about MySQL - which is owned by Oracle - a little while ago ...

Thank Post
    I found that ironic that he talks about MySQL - which is owned by Oracle - a little while ago I read an article saying basically the same thing about MySQL! Basically you should use use SQLite as MySQL is too feature bloated.

For education which runs Microsoft Windows, MS SQL Express makes sense. If you run linux, it wouldn't.

Thank Post
    Anyways, Full SQL on D drive, lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No LOLs - this is a serious thread.

Is your antivirus tuned to not examine reads on your data/log drives or files?

This is Symantec, but the principles are the same.
    http://www.symantec.com/business/sup...&id=TECH176828
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 14th November 2013 at 12:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Virus is installed and maintained by LA. I have no access to the settings which apparently are the same for all schools in the area.

I will order some memory and post back next week

Thank Post
    Hang on, they have SQL 2008 R2 standard, a primary school, with 4GB ram? WTF?!

I'd get the LA to look, could be the LDF has grown, could be a long disc queue length which point to a duff disc. Log it with them, if it's a duff disc you don't want to be wasting time waiting for people to post on a forum with ideas. Would take 10mins of a remote support session to find the problem rather, what is it now, half a day and count.

Thank Post
    I'd get the LA to look, could be the LDF has grown, could be a long disc queue length which point to a duff disc. Log it with them, if it's a duff disc you don't want to be wasting time waiting for people to post on a forum with ideas. Would take 10mins of a remote support session to find the problem rather, what is it now, half a day and count.
    LA will not help as they no longer fully support the school but still support offsite backups and virus systems as the school pay them for these services separately. Previously they were under contract to look after the schools network + servers, hence LA installed servers but no longer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    All you LA bods helping out here, consider this your bit for care in our community and start wishing to those karma gods ready for xmas :O)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    LA will not help as they no longer fully support the school but still support offsite backups and virus systems as the school pay them for these services separately. Previously they were under contract to look after the schools network + servers, hence LA installed servers but no longer.
    This is why I don't like pick and mix services. I'd start by assuming the server hdd is duff assuming nothing has changed. Check event viewer for bad blocks and such errors, then when it's not hdd you'll be jumping for joy.

Thank Post
    Hang on, they have SQL 2008 R2 standard, a primary school, with 4GB ram? WTF?!
    You think that is bad. I powered up an old server I found in the school which had full SQL, 2gb ram and 10gb c drive. The thing was trashing the HDD just logging on.

This is why I don't like pick and mix services. I'd start by assuming the server hdd is duff assuming nothing has changed. Check event viewer for bad blocks and such errors, then when it's not hdd you'll be jumping for joy.
    The Dell raid software should report any HDD issues when I login and also by email. I will check the logs etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12