+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SQL 2012 Migration in Technical; I am planning our migration from SQL Server 2008R2 to SQL Server 2012. This will be on the same virtual ...
    Thank Post

SQL 2012 Migration

I am planning our migration from SQL Server 2008R2 to SQL Server 2012.

This will be on the same virtual server.

I've downloaded the SQL2012-Migration.zip ready and have read through the Capita mini guide.

The only thing I cannot find are any notes to help with the SQL 2012 installation in case and I'm sure it will, ask for any information etc.
    Does anyone have any information they can share?

I believe once SQL 2012 is on the server then I need to do the "Host Configuration Requirements" and then finally run the migration process EXE.

I am thinking of doing this upgrade over Christmas when the school is empty...

Any advice appreciated.

Thank Post
    Sorry that this isnt an answer directly to your query, I was going to do the same thing over xmas but found out SIMS have pushed back their migration requirement for SQL2012 to next autumn due to issues with various components one of which is intouch. They will continue to support SQL2008 until next autumn so ill be pushing migration back now until after spring release which is when they are advising people that its safe to migrate without having to use work arounds for known issues for things like intouch.

3. Thanks to Max_Power from:

kennysarmy (14th November 2013)

Thank Post
    I'm about to undertake the same task, albeit to a new server. I believe the migration utility will install SQL2012 express or you can install the full version it yourself. I'm going for the latter.

I've installed SQL2012 on the new box and selected only the database engine, full text search and management tools. Only problem I came across with the installation was the need for .Net 3 to be installed beforehand. I installed a named instance, SIMS2012 with mixed mode authentication and set a password for the sa login and this instance is on a separate disk to the os and shared SQL components.

On the Windows firewall, I've opened port 1433 TCP and 1434 UDP and added the .exe for the sql browser and sql server. Management Studio connects ok from a remote pc.

Next step for us is to install SIMS on the new server once capita send me a link to the ISO for the latest installer. You won't need to do this as you're upgrading.

I seem to recall the redirection feature didn't work the last time we tried this and we had to manually edit the sims and fms connect.ini files and reconfigure the Document Storage folder.

Obviously make sure you have good backups before you start!

Good luck.

--

5. 2 Thanks to Jonesminor:

kennysarmy (14th November 2013), SteveM555 (1st December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesminor View Post
    I'm about to undertake the same task, albeit to a new server. I believe the migration utility will install SQL2012 express or you can install the full version it yourself. I'm going for the latter.

I've installed SQL2012 on the new box and selected only the database engine, full text search and management tools. Only problem I came across with the installation was the need for .Net 3 to be installed beforehand. I installed a named instance, SIMS2012 with mixed mode authentication and set a password for the sa login and this instance is on a separate disk to the os and shared SQL components.

On the Windows firewall, I've opened port 1433 TCP and 1434 UDP and added the .exe for the sql browser and sql server. Management Studio connects ok from a remote pc.

Next step for us is to install SIMS on the new server once capita send me a link to the ISO for the latest installer. You won't need to do this as you're upgrading.

I seem to recall the redirection feature didn't work the last time we tried this and we had to manually edit the sims and fms connect.ini files and reconfigure the Document Storage folder.

Obviously make sure you have good backups before you start!

Good luck.

--
    GREAT information - thanks.

I will take a snapshot of the server before we start the upgrade so we can roll back should it all go t*ts up....

In lieu of the comment above yours I'm considering now delaying this until it's more necessary!

Thank Post
    Hi, Downloaded capitas SIMS migration tool for sql2012, but the password provided just does not work for me. Has anyone experienced that?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yup I had the same issue when I downloaded yesterday, I was told they rebundled the migration tools and the password got changed (but the news article hasn't been updated).

I had to call the service desk to get the password (and don't have it too hand at the moment sorry).
    Last edited by Cache; 30th November 2013 at 04:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Yup I had the same issue when I downloaded yesterday, I was told they rebundled the migration tools and the password got changed (but the news article hasn't been updated).

I had to call the service desk to get the password (and don't have it too hand at the moment sorry).
    maybe @PhilNeal can get the article updated - if it hasn't been already. last update was 29th..
    Last edited by vikpaw; 1st December 2013 at 10:01 AM.

Thank Post
    I will alert John Wood

11. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

vikpaw (2nd December 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    maybe @PhilNeal can get the article updated - if it hasn't been already. last update was 29th..
    Possibly, it was the 29th when I called.

Thank Post
    No :O( , i just downloaded and tried today and it failed.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 1st December 2013 at 03:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    I will alert John Wood
    Thanks - the new one on the updated notice is working now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread