+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Report for historic attendance figures in Technical; Originally Posted by PhilNeal This is what I have so far: Rather than trying to retrieve this data from the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    This is what I have so far:

Rather than trying to retrieve this data from the reporting dictionary, it is possible to run one of the built in Attendance reports such as the Percentage Attendance Report. From this you can choose your own date ranges, and then save the output as raw XML, which can then be opened and modified in Excel to then run your macros on.
    Problem with that though is no CommandReporter for automation and extra steps for users to get the result they need, you'd have to provide them with an Excel template or something to load the XML in to so that it could churn through it... I can just imagine the response I'd get trying to tell some of our teachers to do that!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    This is what I have so far:
    Rather than trying to retrieve this data from the reporting dictionary, it is possible to run one of the built in Attendance reports such as the Percentage Attendance Report. From this you can choose your own date ranges, and then save the output as raw XML, which can then be opened and modified in Excel to then run your macros on.
    Thanks @PhilNeal
    This is pretty much what I have done now. So, I am using the AM/PM built in report for the dates required, dumping to xml then have some VBA code in our spreadsheet to reverse the name order (to match the name order used by the Attendance Officer in her spreadsheet) and workout the overall attendance %, then I can run the VBA that I had written to do all the stuff that the attendance officer needs.

It appears to me that this is (possibly) needlessly complicated. The reason I got involved in this was our Attendance Officer couldn't work out how to get over attendance % for a given range out of Sims and into her spreadsheet. So some observations from this experience:
    • Unless I have missed something (and as indicated in a previous post) there is no built in report that can give overall attendance % for a given range. It would be useful to either have an overall % at the end of the AM/PM report or have a separate report showing this.
    • It would be even better if we could have access to the more than just current attendance % in the reporting dictionary; if we had access to historic marks then (I think) it wouldn't be that difficult to build a report that filters marks between certain dates.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    The report probably runs a stored procedure which could be scheduled and possibly give the data in a more user friendly format. But that's a hack

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One of the biggest problems I had was a lot of templates just went bang one day and disappeared, never got to the bottom of it. I haven't been able to recover them and subsequently stopped using macros and templates full stop.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12