+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Managing Discover graphs in Technical; Does anyone know of any reason why my Managing Assessment Graphs screen is completely empty (no buttons) in Discover Administration? ...

Thank Post

Managing Discover graphs

Does anyone know of any reason why my Managing Assessment Graphs screen is completely empty (no buttons) in Discover Administration? Already checked permissions and etc...

Thank Post
    Have you used the utility to set the assessment graphs up yet? Because assessment is so flexible you need to let Discover know which Aspects you are using.

Thank Post
    Just found this in the logfiles:

Code:
    <logItem level="ERROR" time="05/11/13 12:07:49:844" thread="1" user="BLAH\blah"><message>Application setting table is not present in the Database, upgrade the Discover database to a newer version.</message><exception type="System.Data.EntityException" message="The underlying provider failed on Open."><stackTrace>   at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityConnection.OpenStoreConnectionIf(Boolean openCondition, DbConnection storeConnectionToOpen, DbConnection originalConnection, String exceptionCode, String attemptedOperation, Boolean&amp; closeStoreConnectionOnFailure)
       at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityConnection.Open()
       at System.Data.Objects.ObjectContext.EnsureConnection()
       at System.Data.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.GetResults(Nullable`1 forMergeOption)
       at System.Data.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable&lt;T&gt;.GetEnumerator()
       at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
       at Discover.DataEngine.DataEngineFactory.ObtainCachingRequest(ServiceAwareUnityContainer container)</stackTrace></exception></logItem>
    <logItem level="ERROR" time="05/11/13 12:07:49:857" thread="1" user="BLAH\blah"><message>Application setting table is not present in the Database, upgrade the Discover database to a newer version.</message><exception type="System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException" message="Cannot open database &quot;SIMSDiscover&quot; requested by the login. The login failed.&#xD;&#xA;Login failed for user 'BLAH\blah'."><stackTrace>   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, TimeoutTimer timeout)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityConnection.OpenStoreConnectionIf(Boolean openCondition, DbConnection storeConnectionToOpen, DbConnection originalConnection, String exceptionCode, String attemptedOperation, Boolean&amp; closeStoreConnectionOnFailure)</stackTrace></exception></logItem>
    <logItem level="ERROR" time="05/11/13 12:07:50:467" thread="10" user="BLAH\blah"><message>User  is unable to connect to Sims database probably due to a configuration error (check the authentication server settings).</message><exception type="System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException" message="Cannot open database &quot;sims&quot; requested by the login. The login failed.&#xD;&#xA;Login failed for user 'BLAH\blah'."><stackTrace>   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, TimeoutTimer timeout)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at Discover.Designer.SIMS.SimsServerAuthenticatingSessionManager.AttemptLogin(String username, String connectionString)</stackTrace></exception></logItem>
    Also, SELECT TOP 1000 for the tables Application and Application Setting pulls up nothing.

*Gulp*...

Thank Post
    Discover is finicky - need to make sure that you have the latest version running on the server (don't think there was an update with the summer 2 release), as well as the latest version running on your client.

If you don't, it will not work.

the first line of your log there says to upgrade Discover

Thank Post
    The versions are definitely correct.

The application setting table IS present though, so I think it's related to not being able to log in. But this is passed through from the main SIMS screen so I don't see what could be wrong there...

Thank Post
    Oh, plus the fact that that table exists but there's nothing actually in it...

Thank Post
    Now I'm confused - how are you launching the configuration utility from SIMS?

I've always had to launch it from the start menu.

I know early on in our use of Discover we would lose a lot of our settings every time we upgraded - I think @PhilNeal pointed out to me at one time it was because we were part of the trial, and had been upgrading from it (something, it was all set up prior to me being here).

If you can get into the configuration utility, are your transfers working?

Thank Post
    There's a button to launch Discover within SIMS. Transfers are showing as successful.

Thank Post
    You're talking about a screen in the management utility though, which can't be launched from SIMS.

I think my first thing would be to try using the discover utility on the sims server, if it's showing the same thing, I'd probably uninstall it and re-install it.

as your transfers are working you obviously have the right sa user/password in Discover, but something isn't jiving

Thank Post
    Okay, after a reinstall of server and client on the SIMS server, and the client on my workstation, the Discover Administration Utility works on the server (it didn't before), but on my workstation it's the same errors. Interestingly, the installer said the database connection information I gave it was invalid while I was reinstalling it on my workstation as well. So it seems my workstation can't talk to the SIMS Discover database properly... but bits of the config utility (e.g. transfer history) DO work, as does SIMS itself... really can't see what could be wrong here...

Thank Post
    you've got me at a loss there now - I know the instructions I receive say not to validate the connections, just put them in, but I can't see how that would be causing you the issue on your workstation.

at least you can RDP to the server and make your graphs - not ideal, but a workaround for the moment while your support team figure out what's up with your workstation.

Thank Post
    This seems to have managed to resolve itself for no apparent reason! Ah well...

Thank Post
    I had an issue with mine this week, and they had me run Database Diagnostics, which fixed my issue (was affecting my transfer of last year's data)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread