+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
MIS Systems Thread, Sims Server Performance Benchmarks in Technical; We're talking with Capita a lot currently due to performance issues that have gotten far worse since the Autumn upgrade. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We're talking with Capita a lot currently due to performance issues that have gotten far worse since the Autumn upgrade. When someone (data manager for example) is running a large report it generally makes it impossible for other users to log in, or if they can it's slow. Slows other users down to a crawl if not a halt.
    Reindexed, shrunk the log files but it's still a bit silly performance-wise. Considering the sheer grunt of our server (it's not even virtualised, we're effectively wasting it) and the capableness of the network I'm a little more than concerned about Capita's statement of the inevitability of it going "cloud based". I can only assume any plans to do so (are those plans still live? @PhilNeal , I seem to recall one of your guys blogging about it a couple of year ago?) would involve a lot of work internally more than just shifting it into a huge server farm as-is.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,191 Posts
    @jinnantonnixx runs or did hundreds of setups on the same SQL server. It's possible. I'm sure they've had performance issues a big lately too. Not sure if it plagues them all or just individual DBs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    We're talking with Capita a lot currently due to performance issues that have gotten far worse since the Autumn upgrade. When someone (data manager for example) is running a large report it generally makes it impossible for other users to log in, or if they can it's slow. Slows other users down to a crawl if not a halt.
    Reindexed, shrunk the log files but it's still a bit silly performance-wise. Considering the sheer grunt of our server (it's not even virtualised, we're effectively wasting it) and the capableness of the network I'm a little more than concerned about Capita's statement of the inevitability of it going "cloud based". I can only assume any plans to do so (are those plans still live? @PhilNeal , I seem to recall one of your guys blogging about it a couple of year ago?) would involve a lot of work internally more than just shifting it into a huge server farm as-is.

We had dire performance, and the clients regularly timed-out. The report speeds are now back to normal after setting up a maintenance plan to rebuild indexes. The trouble with the SIMS reindex patch is that it doesn't update the statistics. Rebuilding the indexes generates new statistics so the query optimiser can produce better execution plans. If Capita added a further index for att_mark_normalised things would improve further.
    I've detailed this in another post about slow SIMS, link below.
    SIMS gradually getting slower and slower...
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 17th January 2014 at 09:09 AM.

Thank Post
    @synaesthesia it'll be alot easier in a cloud environment, you not worrying about the 99 ways of the user has configured SQL, or if the hardware is the best it can be. Also you can actually run proper performance monitoring on the environment so you'll pick up some weird scenario that they've never seen before. This is assume you get a performance SLA of course!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's true enough.
    I think it said a lot when we had a phone call from Capita to apologise for the delay in getting back to us on the open case, as they're overrun at the moment!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345