+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, 2 Instances of FMS in Technical; It is possible to run 2 instances of FMS (CAPITA) on 1 Computer ? I am getting an error message ...

Thank Post

2 Instances of FMS

It is possible to run 2 instances of FMS (CAPITA) on 1 Computer ?
    I am getting an error message this program may not be run when Finance is running

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewDervin View Post
    It is possible to run 2 instances of FMS (CAPITA) on 1 Computer ?
    I am getting an error message this program may not be run when Finance is running
    No you can't run two instances of FMS at the same time.

You can configure Finance Database Selector to access two different FMS databases but not at the same time. It's a case of one or the other.

Thank Post
    You could do it through a virtual machine running on the computer? So one computer, one virtual machine on the computer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    You could do it through a virtual machine running on the computer? So one computer, one virtual machine on the computer.
    Or the same machine since the VM would be sandboxed ...?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Or the same machine since the VM would be sandboxed ...?
    What do you mean? 1 computer with a physical install of FMS and then on that machine also you could have a virtual machine running. With another instance of FMS. That is what I meant.

Thank Post
    What do you mean? 1 computer with a physical install of FMS and then on that machine also you could have a virtual machine running. With another instance of FMS. That is what I meant.
    That's how I read it too. Makes sense. However Vikpaw has confused me!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Sorry i mis-read on my phone over lunch, thought it said one computer, then a vm on another computer -

Thank Post
    Just putting this out there but what I do is install FMS to the normal location like C:\Program Files\SIMS\FMSSQL_(what ever the name of the database is) then install FMS again and install to a different location like C:\Program Files\SIMS|FMSSQL_(database number 2). Then in each folder edit or make the FMSConnect.ini file and get it to point to the correct database. Create a shortcut from finance.exe to the desktop but rename the shortcut to FMS -BACS and repeat for the other folder with something like FMS -School Fund. Now you can have one pc with two installed copies of FMS, each install pointing to a different database, each with their own desktop/start menu icons which also point to the correct place. This way there is no Database selector or no virtual machines. I have done this in several schools without any issues.

Thank Post
    That would make updates a nightmare, you'd have to manually upgrade one. FDS is the way forward.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    That would make updates a nightmare, you'd have to manually upgrade one. FDS is the way forward.
    I don't see how Matt. The server has both FMS databases on, upgrade FMS in the normal way then just run DBUpgrade for the other one. When you are on the client machine with the two different shortcuts, as soon as you double click the client it will upgrade. When you use the 2nd FMS it will do the same.

Surely it is quicker to run DBUpgrade once more on the server and wait another minute for two local copies of FMS to upgrade than build a virtual machine with the time cost of creating the image with all of the updates of windows, the license cost for another OS, hard drive space, etc. FDS is good but the SIMS multiple connect.ini is better. Maybe Phil can put in a request to make FMSConnect.ini work like Connect.ini so one copy of FMS can have a drop down to pick which DB that they need. Surely with the increasing number of Academies there must be a demand as typically they need to see their old school's data plus their new Academy data. I am not a fan of FDS but it is usable. I don't think running DBUpgrade for a minute is hardly a upgrade nightmare.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smthomas2000 View Post
    I don't see how Matt. The server has both FMS databases on, upgrade FMS in the normal way then just run DBUpgrade for the other one.
    Correct, unless you use SOLUS3 then it'll upgrade them both.

When you are on the client machine with the two different shortcuts, as soon as you double click the client it will upgrade. When you use the 2nd FMS it will do the same.
    Your referring to FMSLOAD, this runs FMSApplicationSetup that takes the folder path from the SIMS.ini, which can only have one FMS Application path, so only one will get upgraded. So one of the shortcuts will moan saying database mismatch.

than build a virtual machine with the time cost of creating the image with all of the updates of windows, the license cost for another OS, hard drive space, etc
    Agreed. Stupid to do so, unless your ditching FMS.

FDS is good but the SIMS multiple connect.ini is better.
    OMG yes, FDS is terrible, bet advise is to have the FMS companies file on each workstation rather then in a share, else one of them f00ks up then they all go wrong, key with FDS, DON'T USE redirect. Actually the redirect idea is terrible in general.

Maybe Phil can put in a request to make FMSConnect.ini work like Connect.ini so one copy of FMS can have a drop down to pick which DB that they need.
    The chances of FMS v6 getting a change like this is like Capita fixing the printer issues - which is the same odds as me winning the euro millions.

Surely with the increasing number of Academies there must be a demand as typically they need to see their old school's data plus their new Academy data. I am not a fan of FDS but it is usable.
    They're re-writing FMS in .NET at the moment - or so the rumours go.

I don't think running DBUpgrade for a minute is hardly a upgrade nightmare.
    You wouldn't have thought so, but you'll be surprised how many people that's court out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread