+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
MIS Systems Thread, FMS - Must be a reason? in Technical; Maybe somebody here will know why this is. Why in FMS when printing cheques do you not have the option ...
  1. #1

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,121
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 619 Times in 566 Posts
    Rep Power
    180

    FMS - Must be a reason?

    Maybe somebody here will know why this is.

    Why in FMS when printing cheques do you not have the option to reprint cheques on the dialogue that says 'did the cheques print successfully'? If you say no, you ruin the cheques as you can't use the same numbers.

    Curious really. Am I missing something obvious?

  2. #2

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    8,796
    Thank Post
    351
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1126
    The system needs to know if the cheques printed successfully because if they don't it has to record that the cheque numbers in the print run did not succeed have been spoilt. When cheques are spoilt SIMS ask you to enter a reason and records that reason in the database. I believe it can be called upon during an audit.

    I can get more detail from our FMS guy today if you would like.

  3. #3

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,848
    Thank Post
    671
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    I'm sure when it comes to invoicing it doesn't finalise the process until you say things printed correctly, because i've used that to keep re-doing things. I guess on a cheque run, that's not possible if you've got hard coded cheque numbers.

  4. #4

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,121
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 619 Times in 566 Posts
    Rep Power
    180
    Maybe I didn't explain myself properly.

    If I set a run, and they don't print properly but the cheques aren't actually ruined - maybe the program crashed part way through, or the printer just didn't print - the only option is to say No. On doing so, all those cheques become spoilt and can't be used again. Why isn't there an option to say No - Reprint. If it's actually the case that the cheques are not useable again then fair enough, No it is.

  5. #5

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,848
    Thank Post
    671
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    I see. I sense a change request coming on ...

  6. #6

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,174
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 773 Times in 583 Posts
    Rep Power
    335
    I see a move to BACS payments coming on

  7. 2 Thanks to teejay:

    elsiegee40 (3rd November 2013), vikpaw (31st October 2013)

  8. #7
    p858snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,490
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 175 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Maybe I didn't explain myself properly.

    If I set a run, and they don't print properly but the cheques aren't actually ruined - maybe the program crashed part way through, or the printer just didn't print - the only option is to say No. On doing so, all those cheques become spoilt and can't be used again. Why isn't there an option to say No - Reprint. If it's actually the case that the cheques are not useable again then fair enough, No it is.
    Probably so dubious cheques can't be double printed using the same numbers or something (Never seen FMS so I don't know what it's cheque system is like).

  9. #8

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,121
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 619 Times in 566 Posts
    Rep Power
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    Probably so dubious cheques can't be double printed using the same numbers or something (Never seen FMS so I don't know what it's cheque system is like).
    Well that's the responsibility of the school to enforce, not the software?

  10. #9
    FishCustard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Croydon
    Posts
    420
    Thank Post
    72
    Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I see. I sense a change request coming on ...
    You mean a request to actually change FMS and make it better? Aren't they automatically routed to /dev/null? :P

  11. 2 Thanks to FishCustard:

    Rawns (31st October 2013), vikpaw (31st October 2013)

  12. #10

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,848
    Thank Post
    671
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by FishCustard View Post
    You mean a request to actually change FMS and make it better? Aren't they automatically routed to /dev/null? :P
    No but they print them out and we all know what happens when you don't have the right default printer installed!

  13. 2 Thanks to vikpaw:

    Edu-IT (31st October 2013), FishCustard (1st November 2013)

  14. #11

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,391
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 637 Times in 519 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    If you could re-print cheques you would be committing fraud. Nothing would stop you from printing two or more for your mate.

    Maybe a test cheque? Actual does this already exist?

  15. #12

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,121
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 619 Times in 566 Posts
    Rep Power
    180
    Well that wouldn't work as each cheque number is unique so somebody would pick up that cheque numbers were missing?

  16. #13
    FishCustard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Croydon
    Posts
    420
    Thank Post
    72
    Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    No but they print them out and we all know what happens when you don't have the right default printer installed!
    It behaves sensibly and picks a different printer?

    It throws an error message along the lines of 'no printers available'?

    Oh, no, now I remember...

    "Runtime Error 217."


    Wat.

  17. #14

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,391
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 637 Times in 519 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Well that wouldn't work as each cheque number is unique so somebody would pick up that cheque numbers were missing?
    You'd hope, still you could just mark it on the stub as a mistake or something. I don't know, I'm not up-to-date with my credit fraud lessons

  18. #15

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,121
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 619 Times in 566 Posts
    Rep Power
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    You'd hope, still you could just mark it on the stub as a mistake or something. I don't know, I'm not up-to-date with my credit fraud lessons
    Can do that easily now though? If I tell the FMS to print 10 cheques, then say it hasn't printed, I'll be forced to spoil those ten cheques. I can then do what I like with them in theory? There is no logical explanation I don't think.
    @PhilNeal perhaps?
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 2nd November 2013 at 05:03 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25th October 2007, 08:37 AM
  2. Cookies must be enabled? Bah they are.....
    By Scotmk in forum Web Development
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19th October 2007, 02:49 PM
  3. Could this be a reason to stop the tests?
    By sidewinder in forum ICT KS3 SATS Tests
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19th April 2007, 05:57 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •