+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, is there a way to import Assessment or User Defined groups? in Technical; I have a list of all my sets, with childs name and UPN, and I want to create a group ...
    Bev

Thank Post

is there a way to import Assessment or User Defined groups?

I have a list of all my sets, with childs name and UPN, and I want to create a group for each set. I've got about 30 groups I need to create, but I can't see any way other than manually selecting each child, a group at a time.

is there an automated method?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    It depends on how they're grouped. If the grouping is done by census type attributes as ethnicity, first language etc. then you can create Dynamic Groups in Discover which up[date automatically each night based on filters you define and are then usable in SIMS, or you can simply use filters on marksheets to narrow down data.

If however these groups are based on your own definitions, then I'm afraid the only way I'm aware of is to manually create and maintain user defined groups...

EDIT: when you say sets, are they classes? If they're classes and they're timetabled you should just be able to pick those classes up (assuming your timetable is in SIMS).

I think really we need more details on what you're trying to do with the groups and how they're defined
    Last edited by LosOjos; 25th October 2013 at 11:22 AM.

Bev

Thank Post
    We don't use the timetable.

They are sets, as in classes that the children take Maths and English in. As opposed to their registration groups which they take most other lessons in (we are a middle school, so only group for Maths and English)

I set them all up manually the last few years, but every year I believe there must be a better way. It seems to me I should be able to pull up Year 8 set 4, and select all the children who were in Year 7 Set 4 last year and add them, but I can't even find a way to do that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    I set them all up manually the last few years, but every year I believe there must be a better way. It seems to me I should be able to pull up Year 8 set 4, and select all the children who were in Year 7 Set 4 last year and add them, but I can't even find a way to do that.
    Are you using User Defined Groups to do this? If so, you can select all the members from a group from a previous year and put them in to another group. Call up the group you want to add students to, e.g. Y8 Set 4, then select "Add Members". In the dialog that pops up, change "Group Type" to "User", then click the magnifying glass to select the group you want to take students from, e.e.g Y7 Set 4. Finally, change the effective data to some point last year and press search. All the students should show up, then you can select the lot (just in case: select the first one, hold shift then click the last to select them all) and add them to the group.

Bev

Thank Post
    I was using Assessment defined groups, but I think they work in the same way, so I will take a look. Thank you.

Bev

Thank Post
    Screen Shot 2013-10-25 at 11.52.33.png

I can't see anywhere that lets you select a group.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Screen Shot 2013-10-25 at 11.52.33.png

I can't see anywhere that lets you select a group.
    You have to choose "Add Member", not "Add Student", then you'll get a different dialog box

udg_group.gif
    Last edited by LosOjos; 25th October 2013 at 12:46 PM.

8. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Bev (25th October 2013)

Bev

Thank Post
    Thank you!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread