+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS compatible reporting software in Technical; Not sure if this is the best forum in which to ask this - if it isn't please re-direct me. ...
    Thank Post

SIMS compatible reporting software

Not sure if this is the best forum in which to ask this - if it isn't please re-direct me.

We've used i2Q reports for several years, but now the powers that be would like a package capable of producing 'a more visual output for parents'. They've seen reports produced elsewhere that include attendance and behaviour graphs as well as colour-coded progress charts and so on. I suspect these were produced directly from that school's MIS - although I've no idea which one it was. We use SIMS, although, for historical reasons, not for assessment or reporting to parents (bar a connection to SIMS Learning Gateway). TPTB can see the sort of graphs they would like as part of the reports on the student details page and in SLG. Does any part of the SIMS system allow these to be included in a well-laid out, preferably customisable, pupil-level report with other information pulled from SIMS, imported en block (eg targets) and by individual staff (ie staff comments)?

If not, is there any package of which people are aware that does?

I've done the google thing, but too many things are coy about screen shots or exactly how well they integrate (or not) with an MIS.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thank Post
    You could have a look at Insight from Tasc Software which has a nice Graphical for Parents and students feel especially for Attendance, Behaviour, Detentions, Exams Reports etc although am not to sure about Assessment as this may require this to be set up in SIM's Assessment to link through. There is a quick video on our Youtube off our website which gives you a look at screen shots Lode Heath School if you want a look if it is any help.

3. 3 Thanks to Steven_Cleaver:

CaterinaAnna (18th October 2013), jenny_urey (21st October 2013), zag (21st October 2013)

Thank Post
    We use SIMS Profiles for our student reports which links to assessment manager etc.

I don't think it will do pretty graphs etc but it will pull out attendance information - we show % attendance, number of late sessions and % absent in text form.

I think you can now set a traffic light system up so it will colour code the grades if they are on target, matching or under - or it may be due in the next profiles release I can't remember - we don't use the colours up to now.

The templates are based in Word so they are as customisable as you wish.

It's a bit of a pig to get working, but once it plays nicely it works pretty well.

5. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

CaterinaAnna (18th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Could also look at these guys as Welcome | CCCC - 4CSoftware have used there software which was a bit of work to setup but gave a good level of analysis once implemented, links to SIM's and now looks like it can produce some very graphical features, not sure if this would be available to parents though.

7. Thanks to Steven_Cleaver from:

CaterinaAnna (18th October 2013)

Thank Post
    You can get some great graphs out of the assessment suite. I will try to get a sample.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Please give us a guide, especially basic AM7 users who don't have Discover yet.

Thank Post
    Thank you all for suggestions - will follow up and pass on to relevant people.

(This is nth attempt - trying a different browser to see if I can escape the error message that has prevented me posting thanks until now.)

Thank Post
    Steven, from what I can see Insight is an online system - can you get multiple outputs from it too?
    That's where the issue is: the parents can see attendance and behaviour graphs on slg, staff can see them on SIMS, but TPTB want them on the annual paper reports too.
    Last edited by CaterinaAnna; 18th October 2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: reply not threaded as expected, so making clear which post it is in reply to.

Thank Post
    To Steven again:
    CCCC looks pretty and TPTB may be interested in that. Of course they'll want all the assessment stuff too, which means starting to use assessment manager.
    Hooray! Been pushing for it to happen for years, but been given neither permission nor time. On the other hand ...
    Yikes! Settting up from scratch in term time to match our current systems is a HUGE job.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaterinaAnna View Post
    Steven, from what I can see Insight is an online system - can you get multiple outputs from it too?
    That's where the issue is: the parents can see attendance and behaviour graphs on slg, staff can see them on SIMS, but TPTB want them on the annual paper reports too.
    @CaterinaAnna You are right is an online system hosted internally here not sure what you mean by multiple outputs. With Insight Parents, Staff and Students can access the same information so Attendance, Behaviour, Timetables, Exams and Reports. We use this instead of SLG as we felt it was easier to use and looked nicer particularly for Parents and Students all the info feeds from SIM’s, it is also cheaper than SLG although SLG gives you some extra functionality but we do this differently. The Reports we create in SIM’s and upload to the document Server these can then be viewed in Insight or downloaded or printed by Students, Staff or Parents anytime including past reports, we have now can paper less for two out of the three reports we produced except for about 20 parents again saving money.
    We use SIM’s Assessment Manager for some Analysis but also use our own system we have developed that links from SIM’s for tracking and Intervention analysis and we also use SISRA but these are more for Staff and SLG but again feed off our data in SIM’s.
    Not 100% sure this answers all your queries but feel free to ask anything else or as you are only in Coventry feel free to pop up and have a look if you would like.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaterinaAnna View Post
    To Steven again:
    CCCC looks pretty and TPTB may be interested in that. Of course they'll want all the assessment stuff too, which means starting to use assessment manager.
    Hooray! Been pushing for it to happen for years, but been given neither permission nor time. On the other hand ...
    Yikes! Settting up from scratch in term time to match our current systems is a HUGE job.
    If you go for CCCC but don't quote me on this as I haven't used this for three years but you wouldn't need to set up assessment manager if you went this route as it is sort of its own reporting system that just links to the timetable, staff and student info in SIM's then you build your reporting around that or that is how it used to be they used to also create some bespoke reports but this was all for electronic to printable copies but looks like it is a lot more graphical now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    You can get some great graphs out of the assessment suite. I will try to get a sample.
    @PhilNeal would be interested in a look at these as well if possible, although we sort of have our own system with data automatically exported from Assessment Manager but use Assessment Manager as well so would be interested in a look if possible.

Thank Post
    Please see attached a couple of examples of what schools have achieved.

17. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

Steven_Cleaver (20th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks both once again.

Phil, I'll show TPTB the interim reports you sent as part of the campaign to make use of AM7 - but the sticking point is that they don't show attendance or conduct graphically and that's a key requirement.

Steven, what I meant was a way of integrating graphics into the report and then printing off a class or year at a time. Sounds like at least Insight is printable, but it would still be on a student-by-student basis. While it would be great to not send reports home to everyone, our catchment area is somewhat different to yours (even allowing for you to have students from Solly'ull as well as SoleyHahl) and a very small proportion of parents use slg, so we'd still be printing a significant number.

Current suggestion:
    "We could copy and paste the graphs from SIMS in at the end, that's an admin job, shouldn't take too long."
    Hmm. 'Print' reports (which makes html file); convert to Word (checking margins, page sizing, borders etc); call up student-teacher page; screen snip, paste, size, align for attendance, then achievement, then behaviour; check that other text boxes haven't jumped around; save; repeat for next student; print reports for real.)

Home: Telford Office: Wolverhampton Work Travel: all over UK!
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Cleaver View Post
    @PhilNeal would be interested in a look at these as well if possible, although we sort of have our own system with data automatically exported from Assessment Manager but use Assessment Manager as well so would be interested in a look if possible.
    Thank you for mentioning TASC PARS Steve

May be also worth having a look at some of the reports we can create using both SIMS ASM and PARS own grades whilst looking at reporting....nice and parent friendly and bespoke to Schools. Saw a post earlier mentioning having to export grades to create a bespoke report. Don't need to using PARS as it will just create the design report based on Schools own calculations, designs and rules.

student review111.jpg
    Presentation1.pptx
    graph grade report.jpg
    Example Report 1.jpg
    connect grade4.png
    Grade report 3.jpg
    Last edited by jenny_urey; 21st October 2013 at 09:59 AM.

20. 2 Thanks to jenny_urey:

CaterinaAnna (21st October 2013), Steven_Cleaver (21st October 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast