+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS compatible reporting software in Technical; How do you make AM do the RAG ratings? Currently all our AM Templates do it in black and white. ...
    Thank Post
    How do you make AM do the RAG ratings? Currently all our AM Templates do it in black and white. Do i need to change the template to excel from word and use conditional formatting? Or am i barking up the wrong tree!

Thank Post
    @CaterinaAnna I didn't make it clear enough that these examples are completely user defined using Word as the template design from which you can drop in data.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny_urey View Post
    Thank you for mentioning TASC PARS Steve

May be also worth having a look at some of the reports we can create using both SIMS ASM and PARS own grades whilst looking at reporting....nice and parent friendly and bespoke to Schools. Saw a post earlier mentioning having to export grades to create a bespoke report. Don't need to using PARS as it will just create the design report based on Schools own calculations, designs and rules.
    Cheers will have more of a look at this in PAR's and SIM's as regards the Graphing as at the moment is just of plain report to be honest wasn't to interested in graphing until now as these were printed so could end up costing the school a bit of money but now they are mostly electronic seems a good idea. One thing Jen are the reports you can create in PAR's unloadable to Insight at the moment staff enter the data for reports into PAR's (Sims Aspects) our reports are created in SIM's with various info on and including Attendance, ATW,ATCH (Attitude to Work and Coursework), Grades, Targets, Subject Average Grade etc this is all uploaded to SIM's document Server so that Parents, Students and Staff can view these on Insight.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    @CaterinaAnna I didn't make it clear enough that these examples are completely user defined using Word as the template design from which you can drop in data.
    @CaterinaAnna as Phil says they are Word templates so can drop in various data held in SIM's including Attendance and are reasonably easy to link data into.

Thank Post
    Oh I'd worked out they were Word templates: I'did' advanced reporting (many moons ago), and I'm a reasonably competent mail-merger, so the tables don't phase me, but I've never included graphs. Had a quick play, but I can't work out how to link the chart data source to the report results. Looks like I need to go away and learn how to do that. (I'm sure it's find out-able, it's just not something I've done.)

Also when I generate a report from outwith Lesson monitor which includes attendance totals I can (= last time I tried) only get the current value. In theory, of course, that's what we'd want, but if I'm generating reports to cover all of term 1 a couple of days into term 2, or only want attendance over a particular half term, not the year as a whole, then things get more awkward.

But all of this is getting into nitty-gritty of Word and SIMS (which may not even be needed) and off the original topic, so I shall head over to SupportNet and Word support places when I've got time to play next week.

Thank you all once again.

Thank Post
    @CaterinaAnna did you manage to get this working? This is starting to crop up again here and want to try and get my head round before being told i need it done by xyz date.

Thank Post
    'Fraid not: had a good google round and couldn't find any way to include data from a merge source in graphical format on a Word document: one of Phil's did include some, but that was completely SIMS generated and, even if we had our progress data in AM, we wouldn't want the raw current attendance/conduct mark on such a report (would need to be to the end of the previous week, rather than to the moment the report is generated, in case of glitches from missing marks). Every solution I've been offered to getting an historic attendance figure involves pulling data from lesson monitor reports into a spreadsheet which then becomes the merge source - ie what I do already - but that precludes including graphs, so back to square one.
    Think it might be do-able if only I could write macros in Word, but I haven't found enough time to learn about those.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts
    We used to send home the page you get when you go to display marks, it has the full fishbone structure of the attendance, along with some tables of analysis and a pie chart. Print them off individually and then collate with the rest of the report from AM7. They let you specify the end date for analysis, though usually default to i think 'yesterday'.

You could do similar with attendance data if you find a report you like in the attendance reports, so long as you're happy for the data to be on a separate sheet rather than a closely integrated table/block alongside the comments on the main report.

I actually had to manipulate the template it used to output the report because it didn't match our days of the week correctly, so in theory there's a lot that can be played with in the display, but the data you get out is limited to what they originally intended for that particular report. So for e.g. if we wanted the reg group to print, and it wasn't on the original, there's no easy way to pull it out of SIMS.

In fact, if you want to do some mailmerging, i'd do it separately, then collate together. That's a reasonable admin task. Especially if you can print / merge in the same order as SIMS produces the reports.

Thank Post
    Printing from display marks means producing it for one student at a time and, even then, it still includes the whole year (ie lots of dates not yet relevant) and goes untidily over pages if someone has had a lot of absences. Unfortunately, I don't have the expertise to amend the template - it asks for an xslt file, about which I know nothing. I did try our support team, but got nowhere.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts
    Yeah, xslt was a brain ache, and i had to combine it with a bit of javascript to fix some data issues. End result is pretty neat though.

The other lesson monitor reports however can be done in bulk can't they. It's just the collation that is the faffy bit, plus it won't look as pretty. However, if it gets the data out in a decent format to those that need it, that's the first milestone.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12