+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Sims - Allow staff to see other class register details? in Technical; Hi, we use neither electronic registration nor (i guess obviously) lesson monitor in Sims. One of the office staff add ...

Thank Post

Sims - Allow staff to see other class register details?

Hi, we use neither electronic registration nor (i guess obviously) lesson monitor in Sims.

One of the office staff add pupils registration details into Sims from paper registers!

Anyways, hopefully this will change - one day.

Right now though would it be possible for a teacher to log in and see a class groups register?
    Pupils are going to their next class and the teacher doesn't know if all pupils have been marked in or not. If a pupils is missing they have no way of knowing if that pupil was at registration.

i appreciate, and have been trying to convince that electronic registration is the best way forward - but that isn't going to happen (again) yet.
    A snap shot of who's registered or not would be a start though.

thanks

Thank Post
    Hi Klop, Do you register every lesson or just morning and afternoon? You could create a new group in Sims and set the access right to allow view permissions to registers.

focus > System Manager > System Manager 6 > close down start screen > goto groups > click on the " + " (plus) give your group a name then set the permissions start small and work your way up else you will be giving users more access than required.

good luck

Thank Post
    Hi, we only register morning and afternoon

If i log into sims where do i view the register info?
    Is it class based, and very simple to access quickly for teaching staff who might object if long winded?

thanks

Thank Post
    ooo good question not sure anymore we've been using lesson monitor for years. Do you use the manual paper entry with the sheets where the teacher puts a line across if so follow the trail from your admin staff! so what happens after they scan the sheets, this is where you can edit marks (???) if so try and give the teachers read access to this section. so it might go focus >registration marks ?? it will be there somewhere or you could generate a report with this detail on and that will save you the hassle of changing permissions

Thank Post
    I have very, very little use of sims - i understand what it might do for us, but not how we cn do it!
    we do have a sims data manager - not sure it's really their thing though!

i did wonder if a report could be created in html and if then we could upload that to our website - maybe under a secure location for staff to access.

Of course it would be a whole lot better if all staff accessed sims and used it. does lesson monitor show the teacher if the pupil was absent or here for the previous entry?

i assume for it (lesson monitor) to work our timetable etc all needs to be setup using sims?

thanks again

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Have you got Focus|Attendance|Take Register, where you/they can search for each others registers? Providing teachers have Class teacher asccess in System manager 7

Thank Post
    Ok, found one thing that I thought would work, but thinking now maybe our sims is a little messy?

If i run; reports -> attendance -> whole group student reports -> today's register report I thought i would get a nice neat list of all classes, with both am and pm register marks.
    What i actually get is a rather messy very long list, which includes the above.

There are classes listed on it that no longer exist (from last year) - should they be gone?
    The classes that are relevant to this year are displayed quite nicely, but each class is shown 10 times.

We have very few classes (small SEN school) so really i thought this would be a neat document we could pop on the website, but for whatever reason it is very messy indeed!

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klop View Post
    i assume for it (lesson monitor) to work our timetable etc all needs to be setup using sims?
    If you are thinking of using LM, it's a bit like running before you can walk. You need to be using SIMS much better than you suggest. It is not worth paying for LM if the school doesn't use Attendance properly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    If you are thinking of using LM, it's a bit like running before you can walk. You need to be using SIMS much better than you suggest. It is not worth paying for LM if the school doesn't use Attendance properly.
    I totally agree !

Thank Post
    Don't you have a support team that can advise you? I would be straight out to your school if it is as you describe.

My approach to Heads a Business Managers is 'You are paying for this and only using a fraction of what you are paying for, I'll show you what it can do without you spending a penny extra'

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Don't you have a support team that can advise you? I would be straight out to your school if it is as you describe.

My approach to Heads a Business Managers is 'You are paying for this and only using a fraction of what you are paying for, I'll show you what it can do without you spending a penny extra'
    Yes we do, not too sure how easy it is to get them out though.

To be honest though Sims really is not my role. I manage the network, PCs etc... never had too much to do with Sims.
    I know it can do a lot more than we use it for, and have previously arranged for capita to come in and demo some of the functions we are paying for that we could/should be using. I've kinda pulled my hair out a lot !

We do have a sims data manager - it would appear sims isn't really their thing though, so queries come to me.
    Today I was asked by a member of the slt if what i've asked about is possible - I've said i'll look into it.
    I've looked, i'm not suprised.. and now i'm going to let them know - it's a bit of a mess!

Looks like the report "Todays Register Report" would be spot on - things clearly need sorting before it can be made use of though.

Thanks

Thank Post
    It sound like a case of RIRO, sadly.

Thank Post
    Yeah I agree Klop, bad data is worse than no data !!! how do you go on about Census returns then ? I also agree with creese and get some support on how your data is currently sitting within the schools structure. Our support is very good where we are and most things can be sorted within mins, however they should be able to sit down or advise you and your data manger on what's needed to clean it up, as any forward move like parental portal etc is going to be a nightmare!! but that's easy for me to say, i'm not being asked to do this good luck

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread