+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, New SIMS Server Issues in Technical; First post on edugeek here and any help or advice regarding this would be great! This week I've been setting ...

Thank Post

New SIMS Server Issues

First post on edugeek here and any help or advice regarding this would be great!

This week I've been setting up a new Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard server for SIMS and after contacting Capita for the guides on how to install SIMS from scratch and move the database over from the old server to the new one, I downloaded and ran the Spring 2012 Installable ISO. This installed fine and during the setup I opted to NOT create a blank SIMS database as I planned to attach the old server's database later on. Capita then suggested updating SIMS on the new server to Summer 2012 2 so the version is the same as the old server. When reaching the stage of upgrading the database, it asked for a SIMS username and password, which I obviously didn't have as there was no database on the new server. So, I ran the installable ISO again to get to the point when I could create a blank SIMS database. I kept all folders and files as the newer versions from the Summer upgrade, and created a blank SIMS database. The server then wanted a reboot and after rebooting and running SIMS it asked for the Connect.ini. I told it where it was and the SIMS log in box appeared. I searched these forums to find out when the default username and password were and entered them, it asked me to change the sysman password, so I did, and then received an error message saying

Column 'view_managed_permission' does not belong to table Table

I also get an error when trying to run dbupgrade which says

Database Connection Failed - an error occurred trying to connect to the database................(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error:40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server

Capita recommended doing dbupgrade to have the same version on each server before moving the database across from the old server to the new one. This is the first time I've attempted anything like this before so any help would be much appreciated!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not much I can really suggest personally as that's not something I've come across, however I would implore you to use server 2012 and SQL 2012 so you don't find yourself migrating next year and creating more work for yourself!

Thank Post
    Try detaching the database and then attaching it again using DbAttach.

If that don't work, enable named pipes and TCP/IP in SQL Server Configuration Manager

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Not much I can really suggest personally as that's not something I've come across, however I would implore you to use server 2012 and SQL 2012 so you don't find yourself migrating next year and creating more work for yourself!
    I'm just installing a new server myself. Is it really important to install 2012 version of SQL server? Are Capita going to drop 2008 anytime soon?

Also what licensing model did people use for SQL server. I see 2 versions, 'per core' and 'server + cals'. Confused!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it's being dropped next year.

Thank Post
    You should upgrade SIMS on your existing SIMS server, then copy the setups folder, then move the database over. If you're using S3 don't worry, it'll upgrade automatically.
    @zag - Core is basically unlimited users, per users is "unlimited" cores, what you pick depends on the number of users - attached is a basic spreadsheet I did to work out the break even point, you'll have to update the costs as it's most likely wrong.

Capita should have upgraded the installable by now to include SQL 2012.
    Attached Files Attached Files

7. Thanks to matt40k from:

zag (7th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Ouch at the new licensing cost! That's more than I imagined and 3 times more than the last purchase !

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread