+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Error message logging into SIMS in Technical; Hi all, I have just started as ICT manager at a primary school and the deputy head has been having ...

Thank Post

Error message logging into SIMS

Hi all,

I have just started as ICT manager at a primary school and the deputy head has been having problems logging into SIMS in her office.
    Apparently the school contacted OneConnect about this months and OneConnect came in yesterday, installed a new machine for the bursar and gave the bursar's machine to the deputy head. They said that as she could connect to SIMS on the bursars old machine, when they put this in her office she will be able to connect in her room. But when she tries to connect she is getting the error message "SIMS has stopped working" "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"
    Now firstly OneConnect have replaced the bursar's machine with a very similar one and the one they have given to the deputy is also very similar so I do not understand why they have decided to change it in the first place but this was done prior to me starting so nothing I can do about this now.
    Anyway the tech from OneConnect came, installed the new machine, swapped the deputy's and when she got the error message said it must be a network problem and off he went. I have checked the network which is absolutely fine. The deputy can connect occasionally which makes me wonder if she is getting the error message if 1 or more users are also logged into SIMS?
    Can't believe the cheek of OneConnect to install a machine very similar to the one already in place and charge us a small fortune for it then disappear when the initial problem has not been rectified. Any help on this error message would be very much appreciated. Also has anyone else had problems with OneConnect? I am currently looking into alternative providers as their prices are ridiculous.

Thank Post
    That error is usually more of a "generic windows" error then a specific SIMS one. SIMS will usually throw out an error message, error fault code and details on the error.

In the first instance, a reinstall of .NET 4 and SIMS .net would be the best bet, then try again.

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    I would go with all the required .NETs too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They shouldnt be able to charge if they didn't demonstrate that their solution solved the problem.

It's been a while since I used sims, but my recollection was that it did crash if there was a network problem between the client application and the SQL server. It might be worth using psping across the connection to monitor it's stability.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    That error is usually more of a "generic windows" error then a specific SIMS one. SIMS will usually throw out an error message, error fault code and details on the error.

In the first instance, a reinstall of .NET 4 and SIMS .net would be the best bet, then try again.
    Thanks for the reply but as the bursar had never had a problem with this when she had it I can't see this resolving it. I will try it however. Thank you

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    They shouldnt be able to charge if they didn't demonstrate that their solution solved the problem.

It's been a while since I used sims, but my recollection was that it did crash if there was a network problem between the client application and the SQL server. It might be worth using psping across the connection to monitor it's stability.
    I will try this tomorrow. Thanks for the advice

Thank Post
    One Connect... Cumbria?Lancs

Is the sims server on your own site?

Rob

Thank Post
    Yes Lancs...sims server is on site too. Just tracing the network cabling back to see where it leads. Hopefully not to a switch then another switch.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    BTW if current users of sims are recommending re-installing .net 4 then I'd go with that as my first action.

Also to my horror I notice that I wrote "it's" when I meant "its".

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    Also to my horror I notice that I wrote "it's" when I meant "its".
    Grammar police on their way...

Thank Post
    Hi Simmy
    I am Operations and Incident Manager at One Connect Limited. I am concerned about your comments and need to address them. Can you let me know the name of your school and I will find out the background as to why the machine was left in this state. Please let me know at jonathan.smith@oneconnectlimited.co.uk
    Thank you

12. Thanks to jsmith001 from:

vikpaw (6th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    It can't be an installation issue if the dep.head can connect sometimes. So the .net reinstall probably won't achieve anything, unless there is another program installed that is causing issues / conflicts.
    I'd look at networking, server side issues (is it a real server or just someone's machine?) etc.
    What happened to the dep.head's old PC if they had one? How many other SIMS users are there?

Thank Post
    Might be worth logging on to the pc with a new user account then trying to login to SIMS to see if there is anything in the deputy heads profile that is causing an issue.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Humm ok whole thing very strange personally I would go with 3 options being that sims is a windows application and the error your describing basically windows is making sims malfunction

Uninstall sims and delete sims out of the program folder and try reinstall

Uninstall sims and .net and reinstall .net first then windows updated

Rebuild os with sims and .net only no other apps

Thank Post
    I have spoken to the engineer who was on site to install the new P2P server and now have more information on what happened. He is still sure that there is a localised networking issue (most likely the switch) that is affecting the SIMS connection and has advised that this needs to be checked first. A previous machine in the same location was experiencing the same intermittent errors so it is unlikely to be a software installation issue. The server was replaced in the last couple of weeks with a fresh OS and application install which should have ruled out a client/server fault. Hope this helps but feel free to get in touch, either direct or via the OCL helpdesk if you need any more information or support.
    Jonathan
    jonathan.smith@oneconnectlimited.co.uk

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast