+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS not upgrading... in Technical; Hi All, I had a recent thread about a school I taken over support for and their SOLUS3 debacle. As ...
    Thank Post

SIMS not upgrading...

Hi All,

I had a recent thread about a school I taken over support for and their SOLUS3 debacle. As stated, I support them on a 'when needed' basis and unfortunately this means that some things slide by unnoticed and obviously there is little routine/preventive maintenance done and although I do my best when there, things obviously slip through the net with a set-up like that...

Anyhow, they had asked me to do their SIMS summer update, which I thought SOLUS3 would have done automatically (although I have never used it, so I don't know for sure), but I dutifully go to the server and log on, find the SOLUS3 update page and it is a complete mess. Partial downloads, failed downloads, reports of downloading files that weren't downloading, workstations that it could not communicate with and an out of date installation of SOLUS3, etc...

Long story short, I decided for now to remote in, uninstall SOLUS3 and refire SOLUS2 up. Checked for updates and it picked up the SUMMER update no problem.

I asked one of the admin staff to fire up SIMS and it upgraded fine, however I have now been called back as the other workstation in the office has not upgraded.

Would the installation of SOLUS3 and it's agent on the workstaion have changed anything that prevents it from being updated by SOLUS2. As my time at the school is limited I would prefer to go in armed with some answers/solutions and a good idea of where to look, rather than be sitting in the middle of reception, troubleshooting, posting on here, waiting for support callback, Gooooogling and the like

Kol.
    Last edited by Koldov; 30th September 2013 at 02:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    Would the installation of SOLUS3 and it's agent on the workstaion have changed anything that prevents it from being updated by SOLUS2.
    Yes it will. Once a SOLUS3 agent has been installed onto a workstation, it will block SIMSLoad.exe (the old SOLUS2 upgrade method) checking the S:\SIMS\Setups folder for updates. You'll need to remove the SOLUS3 agents on all of the workstations (If you've stripped out SOLUS3 from the server) or at a minimum, stop the SOLUS3 Agent Service on each device so that SIMSLoad.exe can check for, and apply any outstanding upgrades in the Setups folder.

3. Thanks to Rawns from:

Koldov (30th September 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread