+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Are student photos being automatically resized now? in Technical; I've scanned through the release notes for the past couple of versions of SIMS (I'm on 7.152) but can't see ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts

Are student photos being automatically resized now?

I've scanned through the release notes for the past couple of versions of SIMS (I'm on 7.152) but can't see anything mentioned, however it seems to me that student photos are now being automatically resized and that this has also been done to existing photos.

The reason I say this, is that we upload the full size photos to SIMS, which I know is probably not a great idea for performance but does come in very useful for various reports that are generated where we need a good quality print at A4 size.

However, trying to run these reports this term it appear all of our photos have been shrunk to around 140x180 pixels; useless for large prints.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour in their own SIMS system or point me at the release notes that inform us of this change?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    I just ran of two classes in my photo report in lightning time and that's not normal so something must have changed, though i have reduced the file size we generate recently.
    140x180 is the absolute minimum they recommend, i'd have thought they would have gone to 640x480 if they were going to do it. Is it possible your photographer has gone for lowest of the low..?
    You're not on SQL2012 are you?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    A small headsup for you all (may or may-not be related to this isue)...

The default sizing from some school photographers is tiny now I noticed as they are wanting to sell you larger small images, we had this with the firm we used as they were tiny in Serco so I spoke to them and they said we had the option of buying a Small JPG from them for other uses in school such as displays etc... this was a more useful size, however they would allow up to a set size for no cost but then said it may not import to our MIS.

So worth asking for them to be the biggest you can get for free and then you yourself batch shrinking if required.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I just ran of two classes in my photo report in lightning time and that's not normal so something must have changed, though i have reduced the file size we generate recently.
    140x180 is the absolute minimum they recommend, i'd have thought they would have gone to 640x480 if they were going to do it. Is it possible your photographer has gone for lowest of the low..?
    You're not on SQL2012 are you?
    Hi Vik, the photos I'm looking at are done internally, they haven't changed their methods and even photos which we know were full resolution are now being exported tiny. I was hoping there was some setting somewhere that did this to speed up report generation but could be overridden, but I see no such setting

And we're on SQL2008 - apart from the SIMS Summer upgrade, nothing our end has changed

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    A small headsup for you all (may or may-not be related to this isue)...

The default sizing from some school photographers is tiny now I noticed as they are wanting to sell you larger small images, we had this with the firm we used as they were tiny in Serco so I spoke to them and they said we had the option of buying a Small JPG from them for other uses in school such as displays etc... this was a more useful size, however they would allow up to a set size for no cost but then said it may not import to our MIS.

So worth asking for them to be the biggest you can get for free and then you yourself batch shrinking if required.
    Yeah I noticed they give us the bare minimum size too. Understandable as they want to sell the photos but then if schools started printing them out for students/parents it'd be a breach of copyright anyway.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread