+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Windows Authentication in Technical; Talking to our MIS's helpdesk the other day (not capita) and they let slip there is Windows Authentication available for ...

Thank Post

SIMS Windows Authentication

Talking to our MIS's helpdesk the other day (not capita) and they let slip there is Windows Authentication available for SIMS. I inherited our SIMS on a leave it alone, it works basis but am interested in getting this running. Does anyone have any pointers as where to start. I don't suppose its as easy as installing a plugin or anything is it?

Thank Post
    I'm no Sims expert, but it is that easy. There is a little button next to the username box, click it and search for their Active Directory username. Once set you should see their username prefixed with the domain in the username box. Not too sure if there is some setting beforehand to let Sims know about your AD domain, but as far as I know, it should work with just the username setting. If using AD authentication, you can get Sims to log the user in automatically. Can't remember the setting, but it's just a case of adding a line in the connect.ini file. The auto login isn't recommended though for security reasons, don't want students getting into sims when someone leaves their computer unlocked!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    It's even simpler if sims and AD live one the same domain.
    In system manager next to the username you have the option to choose a domain user account to link the sims user to.
    There was a bug that after selection you'd have to add in the domain part e.g. <domain>\ then save but I think that is fixed now.
    After that you need to edit connect.ini to have an extra line but I forget the exact syntax. Something like connection=trusted

This gives the user the option to log in as logged in user.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    The line is connectiontype=trusted
    The auto login is =TrustedAuto
    There is no security risk as the only difference is whether you have to click OK or not after opening SIMS.
    The reason for using trusted is if you have a central connect.ini but not all users are linked to single sign on. We don't do it for teachers only admin staff.
    The other benefit is its easier for support if you can login with a non single sign on account at a user's machine.
    You can also just put local connect.ini in place anywhere you like.

Thank Post
    Read Chpt 2 in the "Managing SIMS Users, Groups and Databases" handbook (Syaman.pdf), accessible via the Document Center in SIMS, this takes you through it.

It may be worth adding to your staff AUP that they will not leave unlocked workstations unattended as enabling this means that there is no password protection for SIMS access in an unattended machine...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread