+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SOLUS3 Nightmares in Technical; I've joined the SOLUS3 bandwagon late, but that doesn't mean I get to miss out on the horrors it has ...

Thank Post

SOLUS3 Nightmares

I've joined the SOLUS3 bandwagon late, but that doesn't mean I get to miss out on the horrors it has in store.

A quick query while I wait from Capita to get back to me. This morning I've suddenly had a handful of machines that tell me that the agent is offline when I know that it isn't and when I check the agent status I get the old "The agent actively refused it" message.

A quick google tells me to run the EESUprgade.exe but this was 2 years ago and the link is now broken.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank Post
    restart the agent service on the affected PC? Has a firewall been turned on (mysteriously? and without reason!!)

3. Thanks to neilenormal from:

Ecclesbury (26th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Oh and check DNS for the affected ones?

Thank Post
    Check DNS and firewall. They are the two main causes of a communication failure between device and server. If you disable firewall globally, chkec its off, otherwise ensure the correct port exceptions are configured to allow traffic through.

6. Thanks to Rawns from:

Thank Post
    This is what happens when a school's IT team is too small, so the management of the SIMS server is given to a data manager (me) with hardly any IT experience!

I'm afraid I don't really know what you mean by "Check DNS" but I will get the Network Manager to check those things.

Just for a bit more detail, I checked a machine affected and the SOLUS3 Agent serviced had stopped. When I tried to restart it wouldn't happen and just gave me an error message (which I didn't write down!)

Uninstalling the agent from the machine, then removing from the DE in SOLUS3 and re-adding the computer fixed the problem for that machine.

That is going to be a nightmare to do every time, so if anyone has any other thoughts for a more permenant fix that would be great.

Thank Post
    Sounds very much like DNS error to me as when re-installing it picked up the correct record. Is it a laptop that connects wirelessly and with an Ethernet cable? I had one yesterday similarly and when I corrected the DNS record to be the correct IP address the agent appeared as online again.

9. Thanks to neilenormal from:

Thank Post
    It's actually mainly desktop PCs that this is affecting, although some laptops as well.

If it's not too much to ask could you give me a Dummies guide to how I might sort the DNS issue that you describe? It might give me something to go on.

The extent of what I know has already been tried. i.e. I did an ipconfig /flushdns on the SIMS server!

EDIT: Had a little play and pinged the name of one of the machines that is affected to find out the IP address. When I then tried to ping the IP address the request timed out. How would I resolve that?

Apologies for turning this into a Compooters for Dummies - Lesson 1 thread.

Thank Post
    You'll have to excuse me, I'm having a small melt down over here. You can ignore that rubbish about pinging the IP timing out...turns out I just can't type a number properly.

Still not got to the bottom of this one. It seems to be possibly a permissions thing, since SOLUS is finding the machines OK, and they can be pinged from the server but the Agent services are stopping on the machines and they can't be re-started either by a domain user or a domain admin.

Absolute nightmare. I have done nothing but this all day.

I'm not even going to talk about the fact that I can't update SIMS on our door control server...which isn't part of the domain.
    Last edited by Ecclesbury; 26th September 2013 at 03:28 PM.

Thank Post
    There's a log file in C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SOLUS 3\Agent on the client machines that might help

13. Thanks to mavhc from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecclesbury View Post
    You'll have to excuse me, I'm having a small melt down over here. You can ignore that rubbish about pinging the IP timing out...turns out I just can't type a number properly.

Still not got to the bottom of this one. It seems to be possibly a permissions thing, since SOLUS is finding the machines OK, and they can be pinged from the server but the Agent services are stopping on the machines and they can't be re-started either by a domain user or a domain admin.

Absolute nightmare. I have done nothing but this all day.

I'm not even going to talk about the fact that I can't update SIMS on our door control server...which isn't part of the domain.
    Not part of the domain, but must be connected to the network in order to have SIMS on.

What you need to do for this is on your Solus3 Console is export the Agent Installer which is listed under the System Settings screen. You can then take this and run the Solus3AgentInstaller.bat file on your Door control server which will install the Solus3 agent and register it in Solus 3. If you then go back to Solus3 Agents and then your Deployment Environment, find SIMS Workstation and Select a Computer, Add and from the left hand side choose Browse Agent Computers which should then list your Door Control machine in there.

Thank Post
    Thanks for that Cache.

We got that far already I'm afraid. The server in question is connected to the network, just not part of the main domain. We managed to install the Agent on it, but this did not make it automatically appear in the list of agent computers in SOLUS3. We could add the computer manually as a network computer by searching for it's IP address only and SOLUS3 resolved the name but despite this we can't get SOLUS3 to recognise the agent already installed or install the agent remotely.

After adding the computer manually as above it is listed in the deployment environment but without an agent version, and checking the agent status give a "Could not find IP address" error.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that Cache.

We got that far already I'm afraid. The server in question is connected to the network, just not part of the main domain. We managed to install the Agent on it, but this did not make it automatically appear in the list of agent computers in SOLUS3. We could add the computer manually as a network computer by searching for it's IP address only and SOLUS3 resolved the name but despite this we can't get SOLUS3 to recognise the agent already installed or install the agent remotely.

After adding the computer manually as above it is listed in the deployment environment but without an agent version, and checking the agent status give a "Could not find IP address" error.
    Ok, that means that the agent, although installed, didn't register correctly within Solus3.

What I would do is remove the computer from Solus3 that doesn't have an agent version and uninstall the agent on the Door Control server.

You mention you can ping the IP address, can you ping the computer name for one of your desktop computers (Solus3 works off the computer name, looking that up in DNS to get the IP Address).

The fact that all your agents are appearing offline and that the Door Control Server didn't register the manual agent install suggests something isn't right somewhere. Are you sure the required firewall ports are open on both the server and clients?

Regarding the Solus3 Service not starting on some machines, I've had this a couple of times, I've got one which I still haven't fixed, the majority though I've managed to manually reinstall the agent on the computer by opening a command prompt and changing the directory to the exported agent installer. From there manually running the command
    Code:
    msiexec /lv* c:\solus3install.log /i SOLUS3AgentInstaller_x86.msi
    and using the values from the .bat file to fill in the prompts or just repairing the installation has resolved most of them. I've only needed to do this since the 3.6.92 version was released, do you know which version you are running?

17. Thanks to Cache from:

Ecclesbury (30th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for you help everyone.

I got to the bottom of the non-domain server issue. I was just not careful enough when manually installing the agent...a compbination of errors, but the final one was using the domain name of the server rather than the IP address in the batch file. Changing this sorted it out, which was nice.

The issue with machines stopping the service is still a mystery. I have been been able to fix each machine by uninstalling the agent and re-doing the whole thing through SOLUS3, but this has meant I have spent the last 2 days solid running from machine to machine and fending off angry teachers. NOT ideal. I'll leave this one with Capita for now. I'm dreading the next upgrade though!

Hopefully the final question on this from me: How would I go about updating our PX server database, given that it wasn't upgraded in the initial deployment? I have an agent installed on the server now, and targets for a SIMS SQL Server, SIMS Database and SIMS workstation. I can easily upgrade the SQL server version and the SIMS workstation by re-deploying the original upgrade. However, I don't seem to be able to update the Database version...there is no option to re-deploy this? Any ideas?

Big thanks again.

Thank Post
    Hopefully the final question on this from me: How would I go about updating our PX server database, given that it wasn't upgraded in the initial deployment? I have an agent installed on the server now, and targets for a SIMS SQL Server, SIMS Database and SIMS workstation. I can easily upgrade the SQL server version and the SIMS workstation by re-deploying the original upgrade. However, I don't seem to be able to update the Database version...there is no option to re-deploy this? Any ideas?

Big thanks again.
    With the database, there is no option to "redeploy", you just have to deploy the FULL SIMS Summer 2 package and it will go though each system and skip any that are already upgraded. It should also upgrade your PX database if it's on an older version and defined in SOLUS3.
    Last edited by Rawns; 30th September 2013 at 10:17 AM.

20. Thanks to Rawns from:

Ecclesbury (30th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Spot on, thanks Rawns!

I suspected that might be the case. So presumably I can happily deploy the full upgrade without it impacting on users?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast