+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Migration to New Server in Technical; Hello All, Due to one of our virtual servers being overloaded with many different roles. We have decided to move ...
    Thank Post

SIMS Migration to New Server

Hello All,

Due to one of our virtual servers being overloaded with many different roles. We have decided to move SIMS file server, Solus Deployment Server to a new Virtual Server. The database for SIMS is held on a different VM but the Solus Deployment server instance is held on the server that holds SIMS files. My question is how difficuilt will it be to move SIMS accross to a dedicated VM and how will it put up the machines which already have SIMS installed etc? Or is it not worth the trouble and should I just leave it on our current VM?

Would capita support the migration?

Thanks in advance folks!

Thank Post
    Long term, definitely move SIMS to it's own VM, unless you seriously hammer the document storage, splitting this out will probably not yield much benefit but introduce many more headaches. Capita will give you advice, but charge you to do a migration.

Short term, split Solus3 out into a new server. It's a complete resource whore and if it goes wrong it will almost certainly ruin your day by screwing everything else on the same box as itself with an unsatiable need for power and memory. Solus3 only needs an SQL Express instance, and runs well on it's own (or with other low usage apps).

Hope this helps!

Thank Post
    Hello Homer,

Yes I thought that would be the case. At the moment we have an server which is heavily utilised and I wanted to free up some memory. Have you ever installed solus deployment server onto a different server? It was already set up when I was here so I don't know how difficuilt the process would be. I would say that we don't really hammer the doc storage except during exam times etc, during normal day to day uses it isn't a problem.

Thanks for your help

Thank Post
    Mornin,

We split Solus off the SIMS server during the Summer, we did plan to completely rebuild the SIMS server but it never quite happened. However, moving Solus off onto it's own VM was a brilliant move as deployments are now much more reliable and it takes a lot of load off of the SIMS box. It's not the hardest thing to do with the new release of Solus 3.6.92, follow the guide and you should be OK. There's a couple of bits where it isn't clear how to proceed, so make sure to ask the service desk if you get stuck/confused to save extra headaches!

It probably won't be worth splitting the docstorage out from the server, file serving won't hurt the CPU too much. I'm sure I could be wrong though, so I am yet to be corrected.

Good luck!

5. Thanks to Homer from:

JHLEHS (24th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Great, looks like this will be a job for half term or even over crimbo.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread