+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS.net: Unable to Set Application Role in Technical; Hello A quick search of previous threads shows that people need a solution (and quickly) rather than needing the reason ...
    msi

Thank Post

SIMS.net: Unable to Set Application Role

Hello

A quick search of previous threads shows that people need a solution (and quickly) rather than needing the reason for this error. I'm not one of them. I don't have users who are panicked. We are using trusted authentication (local connect.ini which points to a connect.ini on the S: drive, which itself has the TrustedAuto property set). All users can log on... except me on the server. Obvs I have checked the connect.ini file on the C: drive of the server to ensure it points to the shared one on the mapped drive, and of course checked the drive is indeed mapped and accessible.

So with a view to being useful to others (and to solving my little issue), I'm interested in getting together a list of possible causes of this particular error:

"Unable to set application role" (error at SIMS logon)

For example, could this be the cause: my AD username is three chars. I noticed you can't set a *non* AD username of 3 chars or shorter. I'm sure this wouldn't be it. But maybe there is some validation that takes place when mapping the AD account to the application role? Or what about the fact my account is, in SIMS, not an 'employee' or 'teacher' but merely a 'user'?

Any other possible reasons?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Solving it may help find the reason.
    Change your username.
    Or map your user to another sims account for a test.

Thank Post
    This error is uaually caused by the version of the local applications in the SIMS .Net folder and the database version being different.

Try running SIMSApplicationSetup.exe on the server and log in again.

Hope this helps

Mark

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Atkins1 View Post
    This error is uaually caused by the version of the local applications in the SIMS .Net folder and the database version being different.

Try running SIMSApplicationSetup.exe on the server and log in again.

Hope this helps

Mark
    Isn't that usually Incompatible Database?

msi

Thank Post
    @vikpaw

Well changing my username would be a right hassle (it's my domain admin account, really rather not), but I could map the SIMS account to another username. I'll try that. And that would help *me* but not so much future readers. As I said I think there are a whole load of possible causes. And that's what I'm interested in.

@Mark_Atkins1

Should have mentioned in my original post, I can log in to SIMS from the server when presented with a username/password box. So it's not a question of the database and app versions being different.

... but that does rather point to the reason for my original post.

The fact is, that error message can come up for a whole load of possible reasons, and wouldn't it be helpful if we collated them into a helpful post for future ref?
    Last edited by msi; 20th September 2013 at 05:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    we change usernames for users who change their names all the time, i don't think it's a big deal for 10 mins for a test.
    i was thinking to map your AD account to another sims user.
    collating the myriad reasons is a big task, the last time we tried that it was for reason 0 and it still hits some people with no obvious answer.
    one of the solutions on supportnet is to detach and reattach the db, this usually has the effect of updating the users from sims into the system, i recall having a problem with a test server once when it struggled to map the trusted logins when attaching a db.
    i don't suppose you can try another trusted login on the server...? you probably don't want other users' profiles on there.
    does your trusted login works away from the server...?

Thank Post
    This can sometimes it can be caused by a SOLUS2 upgrade. A simple detach/reattach of the SIMS database will resolve it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    This can sometimes it can be caused by a SOLUS2 upgrade. A simple detach/reattach of the SIMS database will resolve it.
    Agree, I usually move the LDF/MDF to another folder and reattach them so SQL makes a new copy of them in your SQL directory

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread