+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS AM and PM Registers in Technical; Hi all, I'm hoping this is an absurdly easy fix that I'm just missing. Our academic structure is all set ...

Thank Post

SIMS AM and PM Registers

Hi all,

I'm hoping this is an absurdly easy fix that I'm just missing. Our academic structure is all set up and lessons appear in teachers' ribbons (due to lesson monitor). However, our AM and PM tutor registrations for some reason are erroneously long (AM is 9.00 - 12.30 and PM is 14.00 - 16.00). These AM and PM registrations are covering up our academic lesson registrations in everyone's ribbons because they're so long.

I can't seem to find the setting anywhere which dictates the timings of the AM and PM registrations to make them correct... can anyone point me to where it is?!

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing that the AM & PM haven't been put in before the correct sessions in the Lesson Monitor Setup section (Tools -> Setups -> Lesson Monitor Setup/Options from memory).

Be the first place to look for me

Thank Post
    Yes we have that problem too! I discovered it today during a Staff Training day when a tutor came to me most concerned. We haven't seen this issue before and will be looking to solve it tomorrow! Let me know what you discover please

robmal

Thank Post
    Well I have an issue in that I have nothing in the TOOLS, SETUP, ATTENDANCE SETUP, MODULE SETUP... there are no actual options to change leading to me think I have no permissions to access this part of SIMS (yet)... need to take a trip down to IT to get them to give me god-mode.

Anyway, while I get my settings changed I also had a reply from a guy at capita who trained me on nova and timetabling if this helps you robmal:

Hi,

The times of registration periods AM and PM are dictated by the software to a set of rules that are somewhat obscure.

There are two places I would check your setup.

1, Tools | Setup | lesson monitor.
    It sounds as if you have not completed the parameters for this so that the software knows which periods are morning and afternoon. You will also need to put in the A in the lesson after morning registration and a P in the relevant period. This should solve the issue.

If it does not you may need to

2, Apply the timetable again in the academic setup menu.

If neath of these options fixes the issue please advise and I will escalate the issue to our helpdesk.

Kind Regards

Assuming he means ATTENDANCE setup rather than LESSON MONITOR setup (because I don't have that at all), again this doesn't help me yet because I've got no settings visible to change in ATTENDANCE setup anyway. Option 2 looks a bit severe for me to do without the IT guys' permission. Anyway, off to IT office.

5. Thanks to Cini65 from:

robmal (3rd September 2013)

Thank Post
    Solved. He did in fact mean LESSON MONITOR setup rather than ATTENDANCE. It's just I didn't have lesson monitor setup permissions. As soon as IT gave me god-mode I could access the proper settings and solution 1 worked.

The actual timings of the registrations are still a bit odd (14.08 - 14.30 for example for the afternoon??!) but at least they are at roughly the right time and make our ribbons look sensible and in place now.

Thank Post
    Yes indeed Cini65 - thanks a million!

It was our timetablers masterstroke not to define AM and PM in lesson monitor. All smiles here now, many thanks

Our community is great!!

robmal

Thank Post
    Robmal, do you know how to define the timings of the AM and PM registers? Not too vital but I'd like to know how it is creating the AM timing of 8.43 - 9.05 given that 8.43 appears nowhere in out timetable in nova or SIMS!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I have this problem and recently did lesson monitor setup and applied the timetable, the AM reg block is massive and blocking other lessons.
    I'm presuming because all bar the last period are pm sessions, it is assuming all morning to be the AM block, which is reasonable, but it shouldn't obscure the other periods.
    It's weird when a teacher has a FREE (PPA!) as it shows through the gaps for some, but others it's totally blocking.
    We have all bar the last period set to AM, then the last period is pink for pm, and they have N's in.

I thought the actual timings would come from the timetable cycle you send across from Nova.

Thank Post

Unhappy

I'd like to chime in and say we have the exact same problem, although we also have the new Multiple Timetables module. On the new timeline we do have the all the correct lessons, but the huge AM and PM blocks (at the wrong times) are squashing all the normal lessons to half their width. Most annoying!

• I have a dedicated AM lesson in the Timetables (effectively a registration 'lesson'), and PM being taken from lesson 5.
    • Lesson Monitor has been setup correctly with A in the first lesson and P in the 5th, the correct lessons coloured in to reflect AM and PM.
    • 'Copy Lesson Marks to Session' is set for both AM and PM.

Thank Post
    I've just told people to right click on the homepage and choose take register. This of course only works if the Take Register screen is not already open, otherwise it won't change.

Thank Post
    An anonymous angel has come to our rescue.
    I received a useful email earlier:

KB402554 - AM session shows from 9AM until 12:30PM on the Timeline on the Homepage

Created 24/07/2013
    Last Updated 24/07/2013

Affected Products Lesson Monitor 7

Notes
    AM session shows from 9AM until 12:30PM on the Timeline on the Homepage
    KBA-15526-Y6G6T6
    Problem
    Homepage

When looking at the timeline on the homepage, the Am session shows from 9am until 12:30pm.
    Solution
    Generic Patch
    Generic patch 18475 is available, which will be included in Autumn 13 Release.

SIMS Support Units:
    This patch is available on SOLUS 2 & 3.
    If you cannot see the patch on SOLUS 2 & 3, please request the patch from your SIMS Service Desk.
    If the patch is not compatible with your database, please email your SIMS Service Desk.

Thank Post
    Woot!!

Thanks Vik (+ anon). I've not had the time to search for a solution. EDIT: Or rather I did but didn't have time to try the plethora of potential keywords to bring up the correct article. :-/
    Last edited by NorthernSands; 19th September 2013 at 06:02 AM.

Thank Post
    I can confirm it worked for us according to the teachers and my limited tests.

It's a massive patch, not sure how much was new.
    It makes some changes so if you timetable a reg period it seems to combine with AM reg session.
    Overall much better.

I also noticed, this was pre patch, that the attendance full report (fishbone) doesn't show the PM sessions any more. we never used them but it's nicer looking, however I now have to edit my template that doctors the view to suit.

I think it's since we ran the patch to destroy the academic year, cos we went to a situation like first install where we had no active academic year.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread