+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Is Solus3 playing up? in Technical; If they include proper integration capabilities then I don't see a huge issue with that. But Capita are highly unlikely ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If they include proper integration capabilities then I don't see a huge issue with that.

But Capita are highly unlikely to make this sudden change. Why would they? They aren't losing customers at the moment, the money is coming in nice and steadily. They've got loads of third party partners integrating with their systems.

Reason not to use S3? Because its yet another tool for updating software where there doesn't need to be one. Use systems that exist already. But maybe that's just my '*nix' thinking coming out - use existing tools, string them together and do the job you want, rather than reinventing the wheel and increasing your development costs.

Capita keep saying that there are schools that don't have the capability to run such a setup? Its about time those schools modernise. Centralised network management has been around in schools for over a decade. If some schools still don't have that sort of setup, then they're a little behind the times.

You can't support every little odd, non-standard, setup. But you can support standards and ask people to follow them.

Adobe release their flash updates via a catalog for SCUP and it works well. I just deploy the original setups via SCCM (can be done other ways too), and then WSUS (or in our case SCCM) keeps it up to date with all the security patches released. They release them pretty darn regularly too.
    Last edited by localzuk; 15th August 2013 at 01:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 984 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Capita keep saying that there are schools that don't have the capability to run such a setup? Its about time those schools modernise. Centralised network management has been around in schools for over a decade. If some schools still don't have that sort of setup, then they're a little behind the times.
    The annoying this is that there was the capability to support those schools in S2, the clients updated themselves. Job done. Capita put the schools in that position by taking away that capability.

Thank Post
    SOLUS2\SIMSLOAD was born in the era where users had local admin, a trojan was a batch file you wrote and replaced the Microsoft Word shortcut. Users shouldn't update software - bad idea, that leads you to ClickOnce stuff, very nasty, putting applications in user profiles. Very bad. Bad, bad, bad. Excuse me whilst I go wash myself to get rid of those horrible memories.

I think it's time you got a promotion @localzuk, your starting to talk like those people who came up with the BCSF idea, before it got corrupted!! Problem you've got is you've said MS tools, but then someone else will say something else, like CentraStage (which works over HTTP), then someone else will say something else. I agree, someone needs to say, use this, job done, next problem. Thing is, Capita has. If they say SCCM, then someone like CentraStage will say it's unfair and sue Capita. Logic doesn't last long in the real world.

Going back to the SIMS in the cloud point, they can't be like Blackberry, they've got to keep pushing, otherwise Aspire\Bromcom\etc will use the speed at which they can push out changes to take over. Capita knows this. How many times have you had a change\bug that requires an application change and you've been told to wait MONTHS.

Thank Post
    Well, according to supportnet, as of 15:20, it is meant to be working again, but I'm still getting the module load error.

Thank Post
    Keep trying.
    Its been intermittent for me in that sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.
    Just keep trying until it does.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostgame View Post
    Keep trying.
    Its been intermittent for me in that sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.
    Just keep trying until it does.
    Supportnet says the problem is fixed. If I have to keep trying, surely then, it isn't

Thank Post
    If you do experience any further issues then please do let us know. We will be monitoring calls and forums to pick up if performance issues re-occur in addition to monitoring the servers directly.
    As the man says, let them know.

Thank Post
    My post above just did that!

Thank Post
    Could always be a bit more direct and ring them

Thank Post
    If the school wasn't closing at 4:00pm, I would do!

Thank Post
    SOLUS 3 seems to be working again now. I can authorise patches and releases to schools as normal and they're being deployed as I type.

Thank Post
    We've upgraded 200 schools this afternoon via Solous3 so I'm more confident that it is back up and running properly.

Thank Post
    Time to reopen my case with Capita I think. Still getting the module not loaded error.

Thank Post
    Same still getting it

Thank Post
    Hi Griff and apearson,

if you message me your contact details I will get a member of our support desk to contact you as a high priority to investigate this further,

Regards,
    Jonathan Wood
    SIMS Product Manager

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast