+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Is Solus3 playing up? in Technical; Update on Supportnet SOLUS3 issues Although we have moved SOLUS3 to new more powerful servers they are running at 100% ...

Thank Post
    Update on Supportnet

SOLUS3 issues
    Although we have moved SOLUS3 to new more powerful servers they are running at 100% leading to issues in the field. We are working to understand why this is occurring as no software changes have taken place.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the update Phil. Hopefully you guys manage to resolve the issue soon.

I must ask, why were we not advised of this earlier? Most people using SOLUS3 work within the ICT industry to some level so will appreciate that on occasion hardware fails. A lot of the animosity coming from us is because we are constantly being left out of the loop. It’s broke, now it’s fixed again, ohh nope it’s broke again, yay now it’s fixed etc.

I acknowledge that a lot of people aren’t happy with SOLUS3 so will use any excuse to kick up a fuss (rightfully so) however if you guys were more transparent with your information maybe there wouldn’t be such uproar when things go wrong. Just a suggestion…

Thank Post
    @MrMat, thanks for your input. I completely agree that we need to sharpen up our communications. At present the product managers are responsible for managing the fix and communicating; they naturally focus first on finding the fix.

On a slightly different tack, we are looking at MSI options for those that are technically able - it's not confirmed but I am pushing to make them available.

4. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

localzuk (15th August 2013)

Thank Post
    An MSI for SIMS apps would be the answer to many peoples' prayers. Goodnees knows they've been asking for it long enough!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    On a slightly different tack, we are looking at MSI options for those that are technically able - it's not confirmed but I am pushing to make them available.
    That'll be like Microsoft bringing the start menu back.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh how I'd love simple msi installation of Sims, with msp and msu files for updates or simple replacement msi files. *dreams*

Thank Post
    Your assuming that Capita only release 2 a year, not every 5 mins. I mean the only other software that updates as frequency as SIMS is your antivirus!! In the real world you'd be under a pile of installers figuring out which one you've deployed and which you still need to apply and in what order and trying to get onto supportnet to check you have the latest version and that they haven't withdrawn it just before deploy it. Or you'd assume your DB would upgrade, but it'll fail and you'll be rushing to uninstall all the client so you can push out the old version. You know I'm right, no stick with SOLUS3 and wait for it to be plumbed into SCCM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    That'll be like Microsoft bringing the start menu back.
    No it wouldn't, that makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Oh how I'd love simple msi installation of Sims, with msp and msu files for updates or simple replacement msi files. *dreams*
    Agreed, this would be awesome. Fingers crossed it happens this time
    Your assuming that Capita only release 2 a year, not every 5 mins. I mean the only other software that updates as frequency as SIMS is your antivirus!! In the real world you'd be under a pile of installers figuring out which one you've deployed and which you still need to apply and in what order and trying to get onto supportnet to check you have the latest version and that they haven't withdrawn it just before deploy it. Or you'd assume your DB would upgrade, but it'll fail and you'll be rushing to uninstall all the client so you can push out the old version. You know I'm right, no stick with SOLUS3 and wait for it to be plumbed into SCCM.
    You are deliberately over complicating things. There is no need for it to be like this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's the beauty of msu and msp files, they can be applied by whatever rules the developer sets. Keeping on top of them is pretty simple too.

11. Thanks to localzuk from:

sparkeh (15th August 2013)

Thank Post
    So you would just logon to Capita and download them, run the DB upgrades, deploy. Check back regularly to see if they need to rolled back? Or any more that need applying?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So you would just logon to Capita and download them, run the DB upgrades, deploy. Check back regularly to see if they need to rolled back? Or any more that need applying?
    I can only comment on how it works here but under SOLUS 2 we worked like this: The LA sent a bulletin informing us of an upgrade, we ran SOLUS 2 to upgrade the server, grabbed the new setups from the server and allocated them out using whatever software distribution software the school used (we avoided letting sims apps update themselves). We rarely applied any other updates outside of main updates unless there was an issue that required a patch, then this would be released via SOLUS sent by the LA directly.
    This seemed to work ok, msi rather than exe would have been nicer but it worked. I can't see why SOLUS can't be used to keep you informed of the latest versions and download the latest msi or msp or msu the way it used to download the old setup exe (I am right in thinking that SOLUS 3 no longer gives you the setups?).
    Last edited by sparkeh; 15th August 2013 at 12:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Most school installations involve a set of updates each year. We rarely have extra updates and they're done after being organised via our lea where that get released to SOLUS or as a patch to run directly.

So, it'd be just like now. The support desk would provide us with the updates as and when needed.

Either that, or per-school SCUP catalogs.
    Last edited by localzuk; 15th August 2013 at 01:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Either that, or per-school SCUP catalogs.
    ^ even better.

Thank Post
    Last day in school for me tomorrow so its not up if anyone from Capita is reading this and would like to offer to remote in and do the upgrade for me oh but il get the caretaker to open up for you because some of the agents don't work properly so you will need to just pop in and do those ones manually cheers I will pm the postcode across.. some 3 week old milk in the staff room fridge if you fancy a cup of tea while you are doing it...

Thank Post
    SOLUS3 doesn't give you .exe no, well it sneaky and hides them from you. Capita still provide them, Suffolk provides them on request. SOLUS2 doesn't update all the setups either, so makes sense to get the full set. So if your happy to spend the time and do it manually, you still can.

I can't see why you wouldn't use S3 at the moment - other then Capita's unreliable service. Thing you need to remember is software cycles are becoming more faster, look at SQL - 2000, 2005, 2008, 2008r2, 2012, 2012 r2, 2014 - Azure cycle is something like weekly at the moment! Capita will follow, unless they want to fall behind so expect it to increase and remember, Capita will be pushing cloud based SIMS in the next few years, just like MS is pushing Office 365 over Office 2013 so this is pretty academic.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast