+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Can I restore a SIMS server to a VM in Technical; Can I restore a SIMS server to a Virtual Machine? I what to do this as VM ware converter will ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Can I restore a SIMS server to a VM

Can I restore a SIMS server to a Virtual Machine? I what to do this as VM ware converter will not work with out an restart. Suggestions please?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Can I restore a SIMS server to a VM

Just use your existing disaster recovery procedure.

Thank Post

can you eloborate a little nicholab? ie do you have a vmware machine setup with sims server installed with sql server as if so in theory this should work ok if you follow the instructions for moving sim.net to a new server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I wanted to restore the current SIMS server on to a VM so I have most data to try running a test update to sql2005.

Thank Post

i think copy sims directory to this vmware install either the msde or sql server 2000 then run simsinst.exe to install server if you use sql server 2000 you could attach the sims.mdf from your current setup and then go through the sql migration test.

Thank Post

You will need to perform the following steps (these are the same steps as when installing training data). I installed training data onto a VM without any problems:
    1) Install a new (blank) instance of SIMS onto you VM (the same version as your production version).

2) Copy your D:\SIMS directory from your production server on top of the same directory on your VM. (I believe D:\ is the default installation drive - you may very well have SIMS installed onto a different drive; propbably C.

3) If the drive names are different on your production server and your VM you will need to update all the paths on your VM to point at the correct drive. The instructions for the installation of the training data don't give exact locations of paths that need updating but I updated the following files and have found that a majority of the SIMS system works:
    D:\SIMS\SNOVA\NOVAP\PathDef.ini
    D:\SIMS\Star\DATAMAN.INI
    If you find any problems running modules etc. my suggestion is to download AgentRansack (freeware) and search within your SIMS directory on the VM for the drive name on your server and replace the instances with the drive name on your VM.

4) Browse to:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data" on your production server. copy the MDF and LDF files for your schools database into the same directory on your VM.

5) on the VM; using the dbAttach facility attach the MDF file you've just copied over.

6) Copy the D:\DOCSERVER directory from your production server on top of the same directory on you VM.

Hope that helps.

Adam.

Thank Post

"Install a new (blank) instance of SIMS onto you VM (the same version as your production version)."

from where? (from setups folder in sims?)

great instructions by the way Adam cheers

Thank Post

Originally I'd not thought about using the Setups folder - I was thinking that you would have a copy of the installation CD that was used to install your copy of SIMS. However looking at it I think the Setups folder will probably work. My suggestion would be to copy the Setups folder onto your VM and run SIMSInst.exe.

If this doesn't work my only suggestion is to request a copy of the installation CD for the version you are running. (Are you sure you don't have this CD lying around somewhere?).

Thank Post

they no longer send cds everything is updated via solus but when that fails they do make the setups folder available via ftp i so i imagine this is what would be needed, that said when solus downloads it creates those long nubered folders and then runs them via dbupgrade which effectively copys them to the setups folder proper and runs the sql statements (i think)

Thank Post

adamc i can't get sims.net to work in vmware with invalid username /password errors what network settings did you select ? ie bridged, nat etc i'm wondering whether this could be the problem?

Thank Post

No, there's a problem after the August or September update and setting up a new Sims install with your current database. It will give username/password problems. Basically all usernames and passwords get reset. You should be able to log on with sysman and the default password. The fix is somewhere on the Capita forums/website but I can't remember where.
    Sorry

Thank Post

ah yes that works where were you three days ago outpost! many thanks anyway, incidentally a sims chap called this afternoon and confirmed this is a problem and that the above mentioned fix is the way forward.

Now to try the sql migration...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread