+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Windows 8 64 Bit. Not working in Technical; Originally Posted by Gongalong Ah yes, I tried as both the user and local admin. No dice with either :-( ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gongalong View Post
    Ah yes, I tried as both the user and local admin. No dice with either :-(

I've asked the LA, so let's see what they say...

(We have an icon called "Update and Run SOLUS" on both the server and clients, but the version that runs is SOLUS 2. I don't know whether LA's customise their SIMS deployments?)
    You tired making the Connect.ini manually?

2. Thanks to Rawns from:

Gongalong (7th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Further stupid question, what *is* SOLUS 3? SOLUS 2 seems to be an updater, so is it just an improved version?
    Improved version? Very debatable really in it's current state! Some people like it and find it OK, lots of people hate it and have endless issues.

It's the next variant of SOLUS3 but a lot more complicated compared to SOLUS2. You install it on your server and it consists of a DB, Service and UI. You then configure your "environment" with details like where your SIMS DB is, SA password, BINN folder location, FMS DB etc. You also add every single devices in school to the environment into 'channels'' based on what they have installed (SIMS .net/FMS/Discover). SOLUS3 puts an agent on all of the devices you add, and when you get an upgrade, it "pushes" the files out to all the devices when they are online, rather than SOLUS2's method of "pulling" the installers form the setups folder when SIMS is ran.

4. Thanks to Rawns from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    You tired making the Connect.ini manually?
    How would I do that? Does it use the CONNECT.INI from the server to then create something locally?

I doubt we'll get SOLUS 3. If the LA haven't put it on it sounds like they don't use it yet.

We could always leave the LA and go direct to Capita, but no doubt there are pros and cons to both.

Thank Post
    How would I do that? Does it use the CONNECT.INI from the server to then create something locally?

I doubt we'll get SOLUS 3. If the LA haven't put it on it sounds like they don't use it yet.

We could always leave the LA and go direct to Capita, but no doubt there are pros and cons to both.
    Check C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net and if there is no connect.ini file, create a new text file and call it connect.ini. Open it and add the following if you usually redirect to a master conenct.ini:

[SIMSConnection]
    Redirect=S:\SIMS

Or if you usually point SIMS directly at the server:

[SIMSConnection]
    ServerName=<SERVER>\<INSTANCE>
    DatabaseName=sims
    CommandTimeout=1000000

7. Thanks to Rawns from:

Thank Post
    Fantastic! I copied the CONNECT.INI from another PC, put it in C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net, and now SIMS works. Phew, that saves me downgrading to Win 7 (not that I'm enamoured with either Win 8 or Office 2013).

Thanks Rawns :-)

Thank Post
    Further stupid question, what *is* SOLUS 3? SOLUS 2 seems to be an updater, so is it just an improved version?
    SOLUS2 downloads the installer and upgrades the database. When you run SIMS, it runs simsload and pulsar - SIMSLOAD being the updater - basically it looks at it's version then checks it against the one on the server then upgrades. So you get teachers with local admin rights waiting 10-15mins at the start of the day after each upgrade.

SOLUS3 is a fully managed solution. You have a console which manages everything - the db, the server components, the clients. From the console you download the updates, you can then schedule them to deploy. It's moving from a pull to a push, so S3 will push the updates out to the clients rather then waiting for the client to update, because of this users don't need local admin rights and they're not waiting for SIMS to upgrade as it's done before they click SIMS, I'm told it now supports WOL so you can wake your desktops up!! You also get some overview of your entire "SIMS" network, so you know where SIMS is actually installed and what kinda hardware\software it's on.

The people who don't like it fall into one the follow groups
    - Don't like anything new
    - I like visiting every* workstation after each upgrade
    - Like scripting things and showing off
    - Tried it early on and have been burnt (you basically have to manually remove it and start again in most cases)
    - Don't want to fix those non-SIMS issues to fix the new SIMS thing - I found we had to sort out alot of issues like DNS not resolving so the server couldn't connect to the workstation, ok the network worked, but it had a lot less errors afterwards!! I even remember having an odd one where IE or Chrome wouldn't work, so they used Firefox rather then fixing the actual issue.
    - It's a MASSIVE change and requires more tweaks - I'll let you find the bugs and I'll take it once it's finished - the problem with this approach is Capita aren't likely to change much so if you have something special your pretty much doomed.
    - I hate Cr@pita

10. Thanks to matt40k from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    SOLUS3

The people who don't like it fall into one the follow groups
    It's also got an interface that hasn't been designed by human beings, and has obviously never been used for more than 5 minutes.

I would say more, but I have to type my username and password *again*

12. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    I would say more, but I have to type my username and password *again*
    Eh? You only put your user\pass in when adding a new device - at least it DID!!
    Last edited by matt40k; 7th August 2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added "ing"

14. Thanks to matt40k from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12