+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Parental Emails for Pre-Admission Students in Technical; Hi folks, I'm trying to design a report that will give me the parental email addresses for pre-admission students - ...
    Thank Post

Question Parental Emails for Pre-Admission Students

Hi folks,

I'm trying to design a report that will give me the parental email addresses for pre-admission students - there should be some because Schoolcomms has imported them.

If I create a report for current Year 7 students it shows me the parental email address under the "email" and "primary email" field.

If I create a report for pre-admission students those fields are blank.

Any ideas?

(I rarely use SIMS in anger, but am trying to help out the Business Manager)

TIA

Thank Post
    Do your pre-admissions have status now of "Accepted". If so, try modifying the report that works for current Y7, so that the "effective date" is after their start date in September, and it should report on them as Y7's then. I assume if the record for pre-admissions is populated in the same places as the ones for current pupils, that ought to report them the same way.

The big question is extent of data in those pre-admission records e.g. has someone imported a lot of CTF's from your feeder schools, otherwise the record themselves may be not as full as you might hope.

One idea at least, without spending much time thinking about it :-)

3. Thanks to resin1 from:

Gongalong (1st August 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi Gongalong

You can also get this information from Schoolcomms itself. In the Management area, click on Management Reports and run the report called 'Registered Users'. You can save this report and then it's easy to filter the results to show just the pre-admission students.

Give us a call if you want any more information.

Schoolcomms Support
    Last edited by Schoolcomms; 30th July 2013 at 02:13 PM.

5. 2 Thanks to Schoolcomms:

Gongalong (1st August 2013), vikpaw (11th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by resin1 View Post
    Do your pre-admissions have status now of "Accepted". If so, try modifying the report that works for current Y7, so that the "effective date" is after their start date in September, and it should report on them as Y7's then. I assume if the record for pre-admissions is populated in the same places as the ones for current pupils, that ought to report them the same way.
    Not sure about the status...
    Quote Originally Posted by resin1 View Post
    The big question is extent of data in those pre-admission records e.g. has someone imported a lot of CTF's from your feeder schools, otherwise the record themselves may be not as full as you might hope.
    It seems that the data must be there for some students/parents because Schoolcomms has it, but it's not in the obvious place. Odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schoolcomms View Post
    You can also get this information from Schoolcomms itself. In the Management area, click on Management Reports and run the report called 'Registered Users'. You can save this report and then it's easy to filter the results to show just the pre-admission students.
    Ironically I did use a Schoolcomms report to get to the data. I spoke to Schoolcomms support a few days ago to see if they knew where the data was stored in SIMS, and they mentioned the Management reports. I used a different report, but it did work. Very useful!

7. Thanks to Gongalong from:

Schoolcomms (1st August 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I know it's late now, but in case you want to see an example, i use a report like this. Done this way so i can get multiple emails back if they exist for the parents.
    21-05-2013-11.09.3721-05-2013-12.10.4730-06-2013-17.16.5511-08-2013-16.49.09.png

9. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Gongalong (12th August 2013)

Thank Post
    I've had to create another SIMS report for what are Year 7's now, and have identified a few email fields in SIMS (Basic Details > Email (own) and Primary Email, Email > email_address and Primary Email). But only around 25% of these students have populated email addresses. When I pull that same report in Schoolcomms around 80-90% are populated.

Am I using the right field to pull the parental email address?

Thank Post
    That depends on if you're storing them in the right place, and what the focus of your report is.
    You can store emails for the student themselves and i've seen many schools mistakenly use that field for the contact email.

Let's say you're using section 4 under the Student Details section of SIMS to store family contacts and related emails.
    I would write a report on the student focus - then go down to the sub-table for contacts (blue icon next to it) and then contacts | contacts info | main home / work email and primary email are there .

From a contact focus you'll jump straight to the contacts part above, so then open up the tree for contacts info and then emails are there.

12. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Gongalong (17th September 2013)

Thank Post
    The aim of the report is to get the same email address that Schoolcomms uses IYSWIM, as that seems to be the most populated of all the various fields. That is to emulate the Registered Users report in Schoolcomms.

Those email addresses in SIMS seem to be under whichever parents are marked as primary, under the "Family/Home" section. Of course in some instances two or more parents/guardians are marked as primary, so Schoolcomms returns multiple records for the same student.

Would the above still apply to generate a report that brings back that information?

Thank Post
    Yep.
    go with the first option.
    base it on student focus, and then add the sub-table for contacts and find down to primary email.
    on the right hand side there is a red button that will let you put a filter / condition on teh subtable, here i would pick priority < 3 as all ours are 1 or 2. you could put relationship = father or something else.
    start without the sub-filter to make sure you're getting the right info.

15. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Gongalong (18th September 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread