+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
MIS Systems Thread, [SOLUS3] - Deployment Logic? in Technical; Can someone explain this to me? Top is the overview result of a SIMS Discover redeployment using SOLUS3 and it's ...
  1. #1
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 491 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    [SOLUS3] - Deployment Logic?

    Can someone explain this to me? Top is the overview result of a SIMS Discover redeployment using SOLUS3 and it's status. Below is the detail of the deployment!



    1 Discover redeploy, 1 device online, 1 failure. Result? Partially successful!!!
    Last edited by Rawns; 23rd July 2013 at 02:45 PM.

  2. #2

    Steve21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    2,730
    Thank Post
    344
    Thanked 520 Times in 488 Posts
    Rep Power
    180
    Which bit in particular?

    You've got three clients defined to be deployed to. Only one is online. One failed, and one has been redeployed? Guessing you tried to redeploy an update after one already installed?

    Steve

  3. #3
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 491 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Which bit in particular?

    You've got three clients defined to be deployed to. Only one is online. One failed, and one has been redeployed? Guessing you tried to redeploy an update after one already installed?

    Steve
    Yes, but while I do have 3 clients defined in SOLUS3, I'm doing a "redeploy" to only one of those devices. Therefore the job will only deploy to that one device, and should only report only on that one device. That one device is online, and that one device failed to install Discover, yet SOLUS3 classes that a partially successful deployment!
    Last edited by Rawns; 23rd July 2013 at 03:11 PM.

  4. #4
    Admiral208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bridgwater
    Posts
    720
    Thank Post
    176
    Thanked 63 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    It successfully deployed the installation package but it failed to install it??

  5. #5
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 491 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    It successfully deployed the installation package but it failed to install it??
    it did deploy download the package successfully, but if that's the reason it shows as being partially successful, that's rubbish! I'm of the opinion that Discover failed to redeploy against that one device, therefore the status of the deployment should be Failed and nothing more. You don't get manual installers say "Hay, I was partially successful because I extracted the components but couldn't install the program!"

    If it failed, it failed!

  6. #6
    Admiral208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bridgwater
    Posts
    720
    Thank Post
    176
    Thanked 63 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Can someone explain this to me? Top is the overview result of a SIMS Discover redeployment using SOLUS3 and it's status. Below is the detail of the deployment!



    1 Discover redeploy, 1 device online, 1 failure. Result? Partially successful!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    it did deploy download the package successfully, but if that's the reason it shows as being partially successful, that's rubbish! I'm of the opinion that Discover failed to redeploy against that one device, therefore the status of the deployment should be Failed and nothing more. You don't get manual installers say "Hay, I was partially successful because I extracted the components but couldn't install the program!"

    If it failed, it failed!
    To be fair, it does say failed. You pointed that out yourself. It also says partially successful which is also correct.

    I see your point though, its not very clear.

  7. #7
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 491 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    To be fair, it does say failed.
    Only if you look at the details of the deployment does show as failed. The reports you pull out from SOLUS3 at a site and LA level will simply show this deployment as being "partially successful".

    It also says partially successful which is also correct.
    I disagree. In no way is this a partially successful deployment. The Discover client was not installed on the only device I targeted. Yes it downloaded the package, but that's neither here nor there. If I deployed to 2 devices and one got Discover successfully and the other did not, then I would class that as being "partially successful".

  8. #8
    Cache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    1,257
    Thank Post
    471
    Thanked 181 Times in 178 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    I disagree. In no way is this a partially successful deployment. The Discover client was not installed on the only device I targeted. Yes it downloaded the package, but that's neither here nor there. If I deployed to 2 devices and one got Discover successfully and the other did not, then I would class that as being "partially successful".
    It took me 3 goes to read and tally up the screenshot because it does look right at first glance, but it is wrong and should be failed - out of curiosity what does it list under the Deployment Detail, is it referencing another installation or I wonder if the Discover Client deployment has 2 parts to it and one part is succeeding and another failed? Guess the only way to really tell that would be to look through the deployment log and see exactly what the client tried to do.

    Either that, or Solus 3 is just behaving it's normal self

  9. Thanks to Cache from:

    Rawns (24th July 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [SIMS] Automated SOLUS3 Deployment question
    By Rawns in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22nd March 2012, 08:54 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31st January 2012, 06:01 AM
  3. [SIMS] Yes or No - Can Solus3 deploy sims to a new workstation?
    By cmaxinuk in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22nd December 2011, 02:24 PM
  4. [SIMS] SOLUS3 (3.4.103) to deploy Autumn 11 (3)
    By matt40k in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 21st December 2011, 11:08 AM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 14th December 2011, 08:38 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •