+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, [SOLUS3] - Deployment Logic? in Technical; Can someone explain this to me? Top is the overview result of a SIMS Discover redeployment using SOLUS3 and it's ...

Thank Post

[SOLUS3] - Deployment Logic?

Can someone explain this to me? Top is the overview result of a SIMS Discover redeployment using SOLUS3 and it's status. Below is the detail of the deployment!

1 Discover redeploy, 1 device online, 1 failure. Result? Partially successful!!!
    Last edited by Rawns; 23rd July 2013 at 02:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Which bit in particular?

You've got three clients defined to be deployed to. Only one is online. One failed, and one has been redeployed? Guessing you tried to redeploy an update after one already installed?

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Which bit in particular?

You've got three clients defined to be deployed to. Only one is online. One failed, and one has been redeployed? Guessing you tried to redeploy an update after one already installed?

Steve
    Yes, but while I do have 3 clients defined in SOLUS3, I'm doing a "redeploy" to only one of those devices. Therefore the job will only deploy to that one device, and should only report only on that one device. That one device is online, and that one device failed to install Discover, yet SOLUS3 classes that a partially successful deployment!
    Last edited by Rawns; 23rd July 2013 at 03:11 PM.

Thank Post
    It successfully deployed the installation package but it failed to install it??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    It successfully deployed the installation package but it failed to install it??
    it did deploy download the package successfully, but if that's the reason it shows as being partially successful, that's rubbish! I'm of the opinion that Discover failed to redeploy against that one device, therefore the status of the deployment should be Failed and nothing more. You don't get manual installers say "Hay, I was partially successful because I extracted the components but couldn't install the program!"

If it failed, it failed!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Can someone explain this to me? Top is the overview result of a SIMS Discover redeployment using SOLUS3 and it's status. Below is the detail of the deployment!

1 Discover redeploy, 1 device online, 1 failure. Result? Partially successful!!!
    it did deploy download the package successfully, but if that's the reason it shows as being partially successful, that's rubbish! I'm of the opinion that Discover failed to redeploy against that one device, therefore the status of the deployment should be Failed and nothing more. You don't get manual installers say "Hay, I was partially successful because I extracted the components but couldn't install the program!"

If it failed, it failed!
    To be fair, it does say failed. You pointed that out yourself. It also says partially successful which is also correct.

I see your point though, its not very clear.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    To be fair, it does say failed.
    Only if you look at the details of the deployment does show as failed. The reports you pull out from SOLUS3 at a site and LA level will simply show this deployment as being "partially successful".

It also says partially successful which is also correct.
    I disagree. In no way is this a partially successful deployment. The Discover client was not installed on the only device I targeted. Yes it downloaded the package, but that's neither here nor there. If I deployed to 2 devices and one got Discover successfully and the other did not, then I would class that as being "partially successful".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I disagree. In no way is this a partially successful deployment. The Discover client was not installed on the only device I targeted. Yes it downloaded the package, but that's neither here nor there. If I deployed to 2 devices and one got Discover successfully and the other did not, then I would class that as being "partially successful".
    It took me 3 goes to read and tally up the screenshot because it does look right at first glance, but it is wrong and should be failed - out of curiosity what does it list under the Deployment Detail, is it referencing another installation or I wonder if the Discover Client deployment has 2 parts to it and one part is succeeding and another failed? Guess the only way to really tell that would be to look through the deployment log and see exactly what the client tried to do.

Either that, or Solus 3 is just behaving it's normal self

9. Thanks to Cache from:

Rawns (24th July 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread