MIS Systems Thread, Summer 2013 and XP in Technical; Reading through the info for the Summer 2013 update, I noticed this:
This is the final release compatible with Windows ...
15th July 2013, 12:14 PM #1
Summer 2013 and XP
Reading through the info for the Summer 2013 update, I noticed this:
Thats a bit quick, a lot of us are stuck with XP machines until they can be upgraded to Win7. And does that mean SIMS will not work on XP, or is not supported (2 entirely different things!)
This is the final release compatible with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
By my reckoning we're going to need to upgrade about 100 extra PCs - not good!
IDG Tech News
15th July 2013, 12:18 PM #2
It should continue to work - it's a matter of no longer being supported.
15th July 2013, 12:18 PM #3
This has been fairly well announced for some time now. We updated from 2003/XP at the beginning of the year on the basis. I'm led to believe that Capita no longer support 2003/XP so chances are you'll experience problems with the SIMS summer update
15th July 2013, 12:48 PM #4
I spoke to capita last week and issues will start happening at the Autumn release.
You should be fine until then.
15th July 2013, 12:52 PM #5
To be fair they have been saying it for a long time. You should be moving off XP anyway.
Originally Posted by Sheridan
15th July 2013, 12:55 PM #6
From my understanding - it should carry on working for a bit, but if you have any issues and you're still on XP, they'll tell you to update before approaching the issue.
Originally Posted by Sheridan
I believe they've been warning of this for a couple of years now.
15th July 2013, 12:58 PM #7
We only took over SIMS internally last year, and I never saw any mention of XP Support dying in the previous updates (Spring 2013 and Autumn 2012)
We can upgrade a good few under existing licensing, but theres a lot of older kit (laptops) that would effectively need replacing. If I had my way we'll replace the lot, but with no budget its pretty difficult!
15th July 2013, 12:58 PM #8
.Net 4.5 has no support for Windows XP. If (more like when) they starting changing code into 4.5 it simply wont work on XP.
@Sheridan Read the roadmap documents been in there for ages (well over a year).
Last edited by FN-GM; 15th July 2013 at 01:00 PM.
15th July 2013, 01:02 PM #9
assuming the served side is ok for you could you not just buy x ts lics and run it as an rdp app would save fixing every pc when they inevitibly dont get the update and throw up incompatible database errors?
15th July 2013, 01:04 PM #10
That will only help for a while, security update will finish in less than 12 months so you will have to upgrade the OS anyway.
Originally Posted by sted
15th July 2013, 01:06 PM #11
Server is 2008R2 so thats ok for the time being. By the end of the summer around 80% of the 'important' PCs will be Windows 7, but the remaining 20% are staff XP laptops that use SIMS occasionally. About half of the student PCs in the suites will still be XP buts thats OK as they don't need to run SIMS!
As I came into the SIMS support abruptly I've only been reading the individual release documentation!
15th July 2013, 01:07 PM #12
why if your running 2008r2 as a ts dosent matter wether you using xp/7/8/linux/ios/android on the client its running on 2008r2. Granted xp will have no support but if the pcs arnt being replaced then we will just have to deal with an eol'd os
Originally Posted by FN-GM
15th July 2013, 01:07 PM #13
A question to @PhilNeal: We have a lot of people asking about this. Clearly folks are not reading the roadmap on SupportNet or even listening to discussions here. Would it be permissible to post a copy of the roadmap clearly in the MIS forum loudly warning everyone about the death of XP support? I can see a lot of these threads appearing in the Autumn.
Last edited by CAM; 15th July 2013 at 01:09 PM.
15th July 2013, 01:09 PM #14
and i really still dont get why attendance cant be web based so it will run on owt as long as you have the password its just data into an sql database
15th July 2013, 01:11 PM #15
Attendance is also linked to Behaviour Management, Curriculum Management, Timetable and other areas of SIMS.
By SimpleSi in forum Windows
Last Post: 5th February 2008, 09:59 AM
By starscream in forum Network and Classroom Management
Last Post: 3rd July 2007, 10:24 PM
By tosca925 in forum How do you do....it?
Last Post: 24th March 2007, 11:47 AM
By bishopsgarthstockton in forum How do you do....it?
Last Post: 5th January 2007, 04:59 PM
By drjturner in forum Mac
Last Post: 30th June 2006, 10:53 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)