+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Rename SIMS server in Technical; We have a new server to replace our old SIMS server and i would like to call the new server ...
    Thank Post

Rename SIMS server

We have a new server to replace our old SIMS server and i would like to call the new server a different name so it can be build side by side, i seem to remember there being an issue with this last time i built a SIMS server.

Has anyone here managed to rename a SIMS server successfully and if so what pitfalls did you encounter?

Cheers.

Thank Post

Re: Rename SIMS server

The main problem with renaming, is that each workstation has a line in the Sims.ini file which looks to the UNC path of the Setups folder, so this needs to be amended to reflect the new server name.

Thank Post

Ok i can cope with that if that's the only issue.

Cheers.

Thank Post

The one that springs to mind is make sure you get the Document Server setup correct as by default part of the save path uses the server name.

i.e: ours is c:\sims\Documents\SERVERNAME\SIMS\sims

IIRC you have to change the SERVERNAME folder to NEWSERVERNAME, but I suggest you check this.

I'm reliably informed that trying to repair the problem caused by not setting it correctly is "interesting".

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    The one that springs to mind is make sure you get the Document Server setup correct as by default part of the save path uses the server name.

i.e: ours is c:\sims\Documents\SERVERNAME\SIMS\sims

IIRC you have to change the SERVERNAME folder to NEWSERVERNAME, but I suggest you check this.

I'm reliably informed that trying to repair the problem caused by not setting it correctly is "interesting".
    Oh dear - my site may well have the above problem - by "interesting" what is involved? A document server has been recently re-named (not the SIMS server) and now many bespoke report templates are not readable.

Any advice/experience would be much appreciated.

--
    RH

Thank Post

run dmconfig from the command line and it will tell you where its currently looking. You can alter it with dmconfig too if you need to.

The server name is also held in the master database somewhere, I can't remember the command to change it at the moment, this being wrong will cause things like b2b to fail.

Thank Post

^what he said, basically.

You have to catch the problem early, as there's no* way to consolidate or link the contents of the two document servers together again.

So any reports done since the renaming are likely unretrievable.

*Or there wasn't when I went on a SIMS course a couple of years ago and the guy from Capita pleaded with us to make sure we didn't screw that part up as there was no way they could repair it.

Thank Post

KB36318 on SupportNet claims you can. I don't know how well it works, but it could be worth a look!

Stuart

Thank Post

hmm, I stand corrected then. Might have to try that on the test server.

Thank Post

Anyone here had issues with having SQL express on the same box as full SQL 2005.

We have Backup exec 11D on our server that uses a SQL express instance, when i install SQL 2005 it wont install the management tools as it thinks they're already installed.

This guy seems to be having a similar problem.

http://forums.asp.net/p/1170124/1963691.aspx

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I've had a situation where when setting up virtual sims servers for test purposes i've forgotten to repoint the document server to the correct place. When you create a report it just creates a new folder with the new server name in the original location.

Also, I found that when i renamed my Virtual servers the location of the document storage would go to a brand new folder called C:\sims\documents which may be the new default location, except my setup uses C:\DOCSTORAGE.

Anyway, repointing to the correct location using dmconfig works.

I've followed the advice in the SupportNet article and it works okay.

If i want to update my virtual docstorage from the live system, i do an xcopy to copy the newer files over:

Code:
    XCOPY /D /H /S source destination
    - copies directory, folders and files inc hidden but only if source is newer - the benefit being it's quicker than copying the whole 2.5GB over.

I sometimes do testing on a Virtual Server because reports especially tables in word, can corrupt and become irrecoverable. Although i do also export all reports that i want to preserve as a backup for this very reason. The benefit of the VM is when my reports run into an endless loop or try to return too much data and crash out, it's not the live system i'm slowing down

If i ended up with two servername folders in docstorage, i would backup both folders somewhere safe, and then try doing the xcopy above from the old folder structure to the new. That way all the old reports should come over and go to the correct place.

Thank Post
    Before you transfer SIMS, untick the B2B box, this should sort out any problems with B2B.

DocStorage like they said, you're need to rename the folder to the correct server name.

Connect.ini and FMSconnect.ini should redirect to the SIMS share (s, this should mean you just change 1 file, also you'll need to update the mapped drive (you're be suprised how many people forget this)

sims.ini on each workstation will need to amend with the new setups path, there is a utility on supportnet in the file download area.

@cookie_monster
    SQL Express and SQL "full"... believe you can do it. Not tried to be honest, just install another instance on "full" SQL and move BackupExec onto IMHO.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have (somewhere) a document I put together with everything needed from start to finish to build and transfer SIMS to a new server, including what to do about new names and doc servers etc. I'll try and did it out if anyone wants it.

Thank Post
    Yes please - it sounds very useful.

Many thanks.

r.e.bate@dorsetcc.gov.uk

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I have (somewhere) a document I put together with everything needed from start to finish to build and transfer SIMS to a new server, including what to do about new names and doc servers etc. I'll try and did it out if anyone wants it.
    That would be very handy. Going to be moving our SIMS server to our lovely virtualised server farm sometime soonish. It's currently the only non-virtualised server we're running

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast