+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Rename SIMS server in Technical; To check and change the SQL server name in the master database then do the following: Check: To view the ...
    Thank Post
    To check and change the SQL server name in the master database then do the following:

Check:

To view the server's internal name (ensure you are logged in as Administrator):
    1. Run OSQL -E -SSERVER\INSTANCE (e.g -S'name server'\SIMS) on the server from command prompt <Enter> and a 1 will appear on next line. The Server and instance must be in Upper Case.
    2. Type: select @@servername and press enter
    3. Type: go and press enter
    4. Write down the returned servername (after all the ---) and type: Exit and press enter.

To alter servername:

1. Run OSQL -E -SSERVER\INSTANCE on the server from the command prompt
    2. Type: use master and press enter
    3. Type: GO and press enter
    4. Type: sp_dropserver 'OLDSERVER\INSTANCE' (as displayed in Diagnosis) and press enter
    5. Type: GO and press enter
    6. Type: sp_addserver 'NEWSERVER\INSTANCE', 'local' and press enter
    7. Type: GO and press enter
    8. Type: exit and press enter
    9. Restart the SQL Server service(s). This will remove the server name from the internal local and remote server databases (step 4), and add a new local server name (step 6). Resolution can be confirmed by repeating the steps in Diagnosis (above).

Please ensure a FULL SQL backup is taken before executing this procedure.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is basically it (Copied from my word doc!)

New Server Install for SIMS.net/FMS

Install Windows Server 2003 (if you can), and update using windows update, install all updates and service packs. When installing, ensure you split the server HDD (or combined, RAIDed HDDs) into at least 2 partitions, c: for program files, d: for SQL and SIMS.

Install SQL Server 2005 (or Express), and again update with all service packs. When installing, remember the instance name of the installation, you will need it later. Also, ensure you install to the secondary drive, not the C: drive (If SQL fills up the drive, you will not be able to start the server)

Copy your SIMS Set-Ups folder to the new server, and put into a shared folder called Capita (or whatever you want to call your shared network drive)

Run the SIMSINST application (from the SIMS setups folder), and ensure that the server option AND the document management server option are selected. Follow the onscreen instructions from here. You will need the SQL instance name from earlier.

Once complete, login to test the new server. Use the username/password: 'SYSMAN' & 'password'. Once you can log in ok, you know this server installation is working.

Now, make a full SQL backup of the original database. Copy this to the new server, and put into a suitable place (usually d:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data, where d is the drive where SQL is installed.

ON THE NEW SERVER, restore this new database backup to the SQL, over the top of the new SIMS installation.

Open dbAttach, and detach and reattach the SIMS database to SQL(Remember to drop SQL Logins). This should allow you to login with the normal usernames/passwords from the original database.

Try logging into SIMS again on the new server. Remember you will need a new/updated connect.ini file wherever you are logging on from to do this (see below)

Things to remember to do: Change the location of the Document Management Server in SIMS.net (Tools -> Setups -> DMS), import all the reports again (Reports -> Import).

Now, copy the contents of the following folders to the new server:
    SIMS/DocStorage/*Old Server Name Here*/ -> Copy to: SIMS/DocStorage/*New Server Name Here*/
    o Options
    o SNova
    o DocStorage (When copied, change the name of the sub folder to match that of the new server.)

If your connect.ini files on the local workstations connect direct to the SIMS server, you will need to alter these individually to now point to the new server name/instance name. If you redirect to a central connect.ini, you only need to ensure that this one is correct (this is what I use).

Hope it is useful!

3. Thanks to GREED from:

howartp (17th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I've used that document before Graham , and think i've even posted it in another thread
    I was just checking though, are you sure about dropping sql logins? I thought that you shouldn't drop them, and the detach, reattach then allows you to use the ones saved in the backup from the old system. dropping them means you have to go back to square one...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Vik

It depends if you are using the AD integration with SIMS to auto-logon. If yes, then it is advisable, in my experience if not the logins and the database don't seem to match up and no logins work properly.

If you do use SIMS logins, then you are right and probably best not to drop the logins (although even so it does seems to solve problems every now and then!).

I still havn't had my invitation for a holiday... I mean visit... to your place yet!!!

Thank Post
    What about renaming in Brian?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12