+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS end of support XP and 2003. in Technical; On the old server, the doc storage would be stored somewhere like C:\DOCSTORAGE\<OLDSERVERNAME>\SIMS2008\SIMS Once copied to the new server, the ...
    Thank Post
    On the old server, the doc storage would be stored somewhere like C:\DOCSTORAGE\<OLDSERVERNAME>\SIMS2008\SIMS

Once copied to the new server, the <OLDSERVERNAME> needs changing to the new server name.

Thanks for your help I kind of got it needs to be changed, I'm just not sure where exactly I am changing it? On the old server it's in a seperate folder called 'HOME', not in the SIMS folder at all. So I have replicated this on the new server and copied the contents across. But where exactly am I changing it? In the the SIMS installation?

Thanks again.

Kol.
    Last edited by Koldov; 29th July 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    On the old server, the doc storage would be stored somewhere like C:\DOCSTORAGE\<OLDSERVERNAME>\SIMS2008\SIMS

Once copied to the new server, the <OLDSERVERNAME> needs changing to the new server name.

Thanks for your help I kind of got it needs to be changed, I'm just not sure where exactly I am changing it? On the old server it's in a seperate folder called 'HOME', not in the SIMS folder at all. So I have replicated this on the new server and copied the contents across. But where exactly am I changing it? In the the SIMS installation?

Thanks again.

Kol.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean.

You run SIMSInst.exe and choose the "This computer will be used as a SIMS document server" option. Point the SIMS folder and SIMS Setups folder to their respective locations and then set up your DMS:

BOejkv0.png

The SIMS Document storage path is where your DMS files will be kept, the default location is C:\DOCSTORAGE. It automatically creates the full folder tree during install (C:\DOCSTORAGE\<COMPUETERNAME>\<SQLINSTANCE>\<SIMS DATABASE>)

Usually, you would have copied the folder over already from the old server to this location. The folder that is named after the computer once copied gets renamed. Once installed, in SIMS .net, go to Tools | Setups | Document Management Server and update the computer name in there too so it points to the new server. Once done, save and test. if it comes back as passed, your DMS will be working.
    Last edited by Rawns; 30th July 2013 at 10:19 AM.

3. Thanks to Rawns from:

Koldov (30th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Awesome! Thank you Just needed that clarification!

In the original procedure changing the folder is one of the first things on the list, before even installing SIMS and I didn't know anything about document storage so it confused me a little.

I've never installed a SIMS server, only clients.

Kol.
    Last edited by Koldov; 30th July 2013 at 10:45 AM.

Thank Post
    Whoops! How can I get a new SIMS installer? It appears mine is a bit out of date...

I can't select my SQL instance on the set-up page and it kicks me out when trying to install MSSQL2000 - anybody have any ideas if this is the reason it's failing and why I can't select my SQL2008R2 instance?

Kol.
    Last edited by Koldov; 30th July 2013 at 04:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Whoops! How can I get a new SIMS installer? It appears mine is a bit out of date...

I can't select my SQL instance on the set-up page and it kicks me out when trying to install MSSQL2000 - anybody have any ideas if this is the reason it's failing and why I can't select my SQL2008R2 instance?

Kol.
    If it's trying to install SQL200 for you, then yes, it really is out of date!

Sounds like you need the latest SIMS Infrastructure package. You can request it from your support unit and they can release it to you in SOLUS2 along with the SIMS Summer release.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    If it's trying to install SQL200 for you, then yes, it really is out of date!

Sounds like you need the latest SIMS Infrastructure package. You can request it from your support unit and they can release it to you in SOLUS2 along with the SIMS Summer release.
    Ok, just been on the phone to Capita who advised I should run the Sims infrastructure setup and the Sims application setup instead of simsinst.

Anything I should know about doing it this way instead?

Kol.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Simsinst runs a few install files. Running the two you will cut out those you don't need. SIMSInst = SIMS Install.

Thank Post
    http://www.capitaess.co.uk/home/SIMS...rceNo17910.pdf

Not sure why it's different, annoying though.

Kol.
    I'll get this looked at - sorry.

10. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

Koldov (31st July 2013)

Thank Post
    Thank you.

Just to clarify for anyone else reading this, the guy I spoke to yesterday confirmed it is the later date.

Kol.

Thank Post
    OK guys, still needing help with this one... sorry!

I have just run sims infrastructure setup and sims application setup.

So.... it looks as if it has installed SIMS and SOLUS 2, but nothing else really that I was hoping to achieve.

Do I now have to go into the setups folder and run all the other setups I need (and if so which ones)?

In the setups folder, I have the following:

SIMS1.jpg

SIMS2.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Kol.

Thank Post
    Can you just clarify what's been completed so far?

- SQL2008 is installed?
    - SIMS and FMS database attached to the new instance?
    - SIMS .net installed?
    - DMS installed?

Can you scroll down and provide a screenie of the SIMS installers too? Some of those files look very old and I'm wondering if the SIMS installers are out of date too.

EDIT: Ignore that last bit, completely blanked the second screenshot!!!
    Last edited by Rawns; 31st July 2013 at 12:00 PM.

Thank Post
    It's a bit strange, I know that they are old but I have succesfully run the old 2005 version of the SIMSINST on several Windows 7 machines and it hasn't complained...

Yes, I have installed SQL2008R2. There were a few parts that weren't covered in the original procedure from this thread so it may not have been done properly.

As per that procedure I have:

Installed SQL naming the instance SQL2008R2.
    Copied the 'documentstorage' folder from the old server.
    Created a SIMS folder.
    Mapped an S:\ drive to that folder.
    Copied the SIMS folder from the old server.

When I ran SIMSINST I hit an error, whereby I couldn't select my SQL instance. If I continued the installer would try to install it's own MSSQL2000 instance and fail (due to operating system incompatibility).

So I was told to run sims infrastructure setup and sims application setup, which I did.

The only choices I had to make here were 2 tick boxes (do you want to run SIMS and FMS) which I ticked.

That's all I've done so far...

Kol.

Thank Post
    OK, don't use SIMSInst.exe as it sounds like it's really out of date.

Is your sims database attached yet? If not, that's the first thing to do. Run the SIMSSQLApplicationSetup.exe and install it to your SQL's Binn folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.SIMS2008R2\MSSQL\Binn). Once done, run dbAttach form the Start | All Programs |Sims Applications folder and get the SIMS database attached.

Once done, install the SIMS Document Management Server software with the SIMSDocuemntManagementServer.exe and double check the folder structure once installed. It shoudl be C:\DOCSTORAGE\<COMPUTERNAME>\SIMS2008R2\SIMS.

Then install SIMS .net by running the SIMSApplicationSetup.exe. Run SIMS and test a login.

Once logged in, Tools | Setups | Document Management Server and update the server name if it's changed. Once done, save and test.
    Last edited by Rawns; 31st July 2013 at 12:40 PM.

16. Thanks to Rawns from:

Koldov (31st July 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi again!

Just a few more questions...

Well after a day of various issues yesterday, it looks like SIMS is installed! Also I didn't throw the server through a window, which is always a bonus (but it was close a couple of times). Thank you so much

I mucked up a few times, installed SQL on the C:\ then realised it didn't have enough disk space to hold the databases! Also, there are lot's of SIMS folders in C:\ program files and (x86) and now D:\ program files and (x86) and various other folders and files on the server that I'm sure I didn't point any installers to lol! I'm guessing I was being a little harsh on any previous technician because the old SIMS server was such a mess, but it had been running for a very long time and it looks like the SIMS and SQL installation is just messy (damn my OCD). I'm still unsure what actually makes this a SIMS server or is that not really a 'thing' is it just where the databases sit? Just a thought, I copied the databases to a temp location and then attached them, can I delete them from the temp location now?

Anyway, to the point...

I have now also run FMSapplication setup, detached the FMS database and attached it to the new server.

However, when I go to run FMS it returns the error 'fms create user dsn failed', now I've researched on here and found I should add the database driver for native client for FMS.

I typed odbcad32 into the run box and added the FMS database. This brought up the dialogue for 2008R2 native client so not sure it will work, as the other posts suggest it needs 2005 (hope this is not true by now).

I've got to this point, but don't know how to proceed and what it's actually asking me for?

SIMS4.jpg

Do I put a domain admin username and password, SQL admin username and password or what? Will the users have to sign in as an administrator? Bit confusing when you don't know this stuff!

Kol.

Thank Post
    SIMS Server simple refers to where the SQL instance and databases sit.

If your databases are attached, you can delete them. If you have space somewhere else though, may be worth holding on to them for a month or so just in case.

However, when I go to run FMS it returns the error 'fms create user dsn failed', now I've researched on here and found I should add the database driver for native client for FMS.

I typed odbcad32 into the run box and added the FMS database. This brought up the dialogue for 2008R2 native client so not sure it will work, as the other posts suggest it needs 2005 (hope this is not true by now).

I've got to this point, but don't know how to proceed and what it's actually asking me for?
    Yep, completely scrap all of what your doing there. FMS does still requires the SQL 2005 Native Client! It just needs installing.

Download it from here: Download Feature Pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - November 2005 from Official Microsoft Download Center

It's the sqlncli.msi you need. Install it and try FMS again.

If you get a runtime error 217 after that, it means there is no default printer installed/selected.
    Last edited by Rawns; 1st August 2013 at 02:50 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast