+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, CommandReporter App? in Technical; Hey I am in the process of designing a free SMS app for schools to use (message costs only). The ...

Thank Post

CommandReporter App?

Hey

I am in the process of designing a free SMS app for schools to use (message costs only). The web app is coming along nicely however I am now thinking about how to get a report out of SIMS using CommandReporter and have the report securely uploaded to my web server.

I was thinking that it would use some kind of reverse ssh connection to allow me to call to the app from my central server and retrive the generated XML file or something similar.

Does anyone have any idea on what would be the best way to do this at all? The app I am writing is going to be free to use and would only cost per SMS message (around 6p per message), I am not looking to really make any real money I just fancied the challenge of writing the app.

If anyone is interested in working together on this or has any suggestions at all then please get in touch

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,466 Posts
    You can afford the traffic to your web server too?

Ben

Thank Post
    Hi

Yes I can, that is not an issue at all.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Ignoring the legalities and licensing etc, I wouldn't touch anything that gives you access into the school site with a bargepole.

You're only going to open up a huge line of issues related to access, firewalls, what happens if your end gets hacked etc.

Would make it a lot easier and securer if you just set it up for the client end to do uploads, whether scheduled etc or whatnot.

Steve

Thank Post
    Hi Steve

That is certainly a consideration and I am also considering an App that does just that, just playing around with ideas at the moment. I could have the data uploaded at a scheduled time each day which is certainly one option...

Thanks

Thank Post
    That's the way B2B, and most of the large companies like groupcall do it. Have it set to do daily/hourly etc sync's, so it runs directly from client end, and no need for any "access" as such. Also allows scheduling of what times the uploads are done so it doesn't interfere with normal day-to-day stuff, and other scheduled tasks.

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,160 Posts
    I'd set command reporter up to output the file on a schedule then use one of the many webdev / ftp apps that will sync the file up to a server for you.
    I can't see it being that popular apart from for emergencies as teh offerings from the likes of Groupcall and Schoolcomms are cheap and have lots of extra features for SMS and text, plus calling. Managing groups, e-cards . . .

Schoolcomms have a web app, and an ios app for parents which lets the school send messages for free or cheaper than SMS. I believe Groupcall are also working on a parent app too.

Nonetheless, for fun, it's worth a try, even if it's just for your school.

Thank Post
    Hey

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. So far I have a system that emails, texts and sends voice messages, it also has the ability to create groups and uses some pretty cool Jquery/Ajax for searching/selecting the students. I am going to work on an Iphone app that sends free push messages also, I have only been at it a few weeks but its looking pretty good so far I would say

I will keep on with it anyway as its been great for brushing up on my programming skills at the very least! Once I have the CSS all sorted and looking pretty I will post a demo on the forum to see what you guys think

Cheers

Thank Post
    You are aware that there is a company already doing this? You just buy a bulk lot of SMS at something like 5p or something silly.

Remember if your storing sensitive data you'll entered a realm full of security requirements. If you can exit this realm in on peace i'll point you in the direction of a client I wrote that does this sort of thing. It runs as a Windows Service, then extracts the data via the SIMS Report command line tool, then uploads it via HTTPS.

Thank Post
    Hi Matt

Yes I am aware of various companies that offer a similar service, I really just wanted the challenge of putting this together as much as anything. All data will of course by stored in accordance with security laws, i havent looked into that to much but I am a senior system admin and have actually worked in the School SMS sector previously so I actually have first hand experience of this environment.

I would be very interested in the client you have put together previously as it sounds exactly what i am looking for, if you could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Thank Post
    What's your Data Protection Act registration no?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    What's your Data Protection Act registration no?
    Hi Matt

I am still in the process of developing the product, I am doing this is my spare time at the moment but I wanted to see how the project went before I commit to this fully. I have yet to register my company and obviously yet to register with the ICO. This is still very much in the early stages but I have no problem coming back to you in a few months once I am a little further on if you would prefer?

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information