+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, CR - Remove all "online checking" in SOLUS3 when installing SIMS/FMS/Discover in Technical; 1306-1200569 I've logged a CR and would really appreciate as many votes as possible. Details of CR below: Originally Posted ...

Thank Post

CR - Remove all "online checking" in SOLUS3 when installing SIMS/FMS/Discover

1306-1200569

I've logged a CR and would really appreciate as many votes as possible. Details of CR below:

Quote Originally Posted by Rawns CR
    The requirement for SOLUS3 to check in with Capita before adding new devices to Client Channels, or before using SOLUS3 to deploy software to devices is ridiculous. This is proved when yesterday (26/06/13) we were attempting to update a large number of school SOLUS3 environments by installing SIMS and FMS onto new workstations. This could not be achieved because Capita's servers could not be contacted resulting in the schools struggling because they only had a number of limited devices with SIMS .net and FMS working. Copying a SIMS .net folder between devices is not an appropriate solution to this either. Therefore all form of online checks should be removed for the purposes of adding devices into SOLUS3 and deploying software to existing devices. This functionality will cause issues if (like in yesterdays case) Capita's servers are unavailable, or if the school are experiencing internet connectivity issues. It also makes the possibility of recovering a school SIMS system in disaster recovery situation extremely difficult. SIMS .net, FMS6 or Discover should be able to be installed on demand without any form of 'online authorisation'.
    Last edited by Rawns; 27th June 2013 at 11:19 AM.

Thank Post
    It shouldn't be doing this check and I've already asked the developers to see what is happening.

3. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

Rawns (27th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    It shouldn't be doing this check and I've already asked the developers to see what is happening.
    Thanks Phil, I'll cross my fingers that it's removed in 3.6 then!

Thank Post
    We're just looking at Solus 3 roll-out.

We are looking at abandoning our mirror site as the dependancy on confirmation from Capita's server (that we were informed is part of the Solus 3 process) makes the attempt of internet-proofing resiliance rather pointless.

Will be interesting to see what Phil can give us on this.

Forgot to add, CR voted for
    Last edited by Greg; 27th June 2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to add

6. Thanks to Greg from:

Rawns (27th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Same was true in SOLUS2 - School connected to Capita, Capita gaves urls of LA to download - idea was if schools were on your WAN it doesn't exit your internet pipe, so both your LA and Capitas pipe are kept clear for the basic authentication stuff - not a "capita's gone down" solution

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread