+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Solus3 stopped working in Technical; My Solus 3.5 server seems to have given up on me today. I need to add some clients in to ...
    Thank Post

Solus3 stopped working

My Solus 3.5 server seems to have given up on me today. I need to add some clients in to deploy SIMS, but whenever I click on Select Computers on the Target Definitions page I get and error "Unable to define target type, module has not been loaded"

This happens if I try SIMS or Discover clients. I've tried restarting the Solus service, and it still fails. Nothing has been installed or changed on the server since I last added some deployment clients so the damn thing seems to have killed itself.

Anyone else had the same problem? I guess I'm looking at the usual capita solution of reinstalling the whole thing again.

Thank Post
    It's not your fault, it's something at Capita's end I reckon! We have this error in various schools in our LA at the moment. It means one of two things:

1. Your SOLUS 3 environment has check with Capita's servers and your school is not authorised to have SIMS .net installed (ie, not licensed)

or

2. Your SOLUS3 environment cannot contact Capita's SOLUS3 Authorisation server before deployment to make sure the school are authorised to have SIMS .net installed.

I think Capita's authorisation servers are having issues. If you look at your failed deployment log, you will likely see a line with something like (404) Server not found. I've posted about this on SupportNet.

Frankly this is absolute insanity! To install the SIMS .net client onto a workstation, we have to be completely dependant on the internet being up, and Capita's authorisation server working!!! If either fail, no SIMS .net, FMSor Discover installations! Nice to know we can install SIMS .net in a disaster recovery situation with SOLUS3!!!
    Last edited by Rawns; 25th June 2013 at 05:00 PM.

3. Thanks to Rawns from:

zag (26th June 2013)

Thank Post
    That sounds like an odd reason to fail? Surely at that point it should only be looking at the AD lists to select the relevant computers

If they do check your licensing before a deployment then that seems like a really ham fisted way of doing it, its not like you have to have a per-machine license anyway!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    That sounds like an odd reason to fail? Surely at that point it should only be looking at the AD lists to select the relevant computers

If they do check your licensing before a deployment then that seems like a really ham fisted way of doing it, its not like you have to have a per-machine license anyway!
    It should do, but SOLUS3 is notorious for checking with Capita to ensure you are authorised to receive upgrades and install clients! It's also to check you have the latest packages downloaded in your repository. taken from SupportNet's solution search:

Notes - When In the SOLUS 3 UI the user is presented with the following error:

Unable to define target type - Module has not been loaded

Advice - When the user opens up the SOLUS 3 UI, SOLUS 3 communicates with Capita servers to ensure that all the required modules for SOLUS 3 have been downloaded and are present on the system. If it cannot perform this check then the user will be presented with the error message

SOLUTION:

1) Close down the SOLUS 3 UI and re-open it and perform the same procedure in the UI - If the same error occurs move on to step 2

2) Browse to either of the following locations depending on your operating system:
    C:\ProgramData\Capita\Solus3\Modules
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Capita\Solus3\Modules
    There should be 17 files in total in this location.

3) Check Proxy server settings - In the SOLUS 3 UI go to My site- Proxy Settings - Ensure in here that you have defined your proxy settings correctly - You can check this once these have been adjusted by attempting to browse to the below site. If you receive a 403 - Access Denied then this is expected and means it is working properly so this step can be ignored. Once this is done please close down the UI and re-open

http://s3ws.capitasolus.co.uk/

Failing all of the above, please log a case with the service desk. We will need the following:

Browse to either of the following locations depending on your operating system:

C:\ProgramData\Capita\Solus3\Logs
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Capita\Solus3\Logs

Once in here, please send us the UI_Systemlog.txt in to sims.support@capita.co.uk
    Last edited by Rawns; 25th June 2013 at 05:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Well you must be onto something there, as its spontaneously started working again!

I've done nothing with it for the last hour, and its suddenly let me select some machines to deploy, and then deployed the Solus client to them!

Thank Post
    Well you must be onto something there, as its spontaneously started working again!

I've done nothing with it for the last hour, and its suddenly let me select some machines to deploy, and then deployed the Solus client to them!
    Yep, ours too. Someone else on SupportNet says theirs is working again also. Must have been a Capita server blip.

Thank Post
    Seems to be down again...

Thank Post
    And its back off again!

Edit: Spooky timing with @Rawns!

Thank Post
    Anyone logged this with capita? I guess they'll put it down to individual sites/servers but it obviously seems more widespread.

Thank Post
    Anyone logged this with capita? I guess they'll put it down to individual sites/servers but it obviously seems more widespread.
    Yep, they've made a few amendments and restarted a few services. Testing on our sites now.

I'd recommend logging a call whenever this crops up not just for our benefit, but for Capita's visibility. The more calls, the quicker it will get looked at (Iwould assume!)

Thank Post
    Updated: Had a call from Capita and it is still an ongoing issue that they are actively working on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread