+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, HELP with FMS installation - fmsconnect.ini?? in Technical; As usual I have run into problems installing this horrible, horrible program I though I had worked out all the ...

Thank Post

HELP with FMS installation - fmsconnect.ini??

As usual I have run into problems installing this horrible, horrible program

I though I had worked out all the little tweaks and bodges to get it to work but evidently not

I followed the same installation procedure as normal, but now when I start FMS and it does an update, it starts a manual setup program asking for where to put the files, which I have NEVER seen before.
    I chose to put the files in the current C:\Program Files\SIMS\Finance folder as that seemed most sensible.

After a reboot, I go to start FMS again and it asks for an FMSconnect.ini, in the same way SIMS asks for a connect.ini.
    Problem is we dont have one on our server at all! Ive never needed one for an FMS installtion before, I pointed to the right path for the DB during the install as usual, so why is it asking?

Is it possible to make one? If its anything like the connect.ini its only one line with the server name and database name on it. But would this be liable to mess things up?

Thank Post

Re: HELP with FMS installation - fmsconnect.ini??

OK some more info

From looking around it seems like somehow 6.91 has been installed on this workstation, while the bursar and everyone else that uses it are on 6.85

Why does this one update but not theirs?
    I want to keep it at 6.85.

Ive tried copying over the finance directory from the bursars machine which I know is working fine, but now fmsload.exe doesnt do anything except flash a screen up and then close

Also, by looking at some of the .ini files on the bursars machine, it appears her FMS installation is still pointing to our old server which was removed a few months ago. She obviously is working on the new server's DB but I assume its still looking to the old server for updates

So SHOULD we be on 6.91?

We are still on SQL Server 2000 for SIMS and SQLAnywhere for FMS. Does 6.91 change any of that? Does it still run on SQLAnywhere?

Sorry for all the questions, as you can Im thouroghly confused. I will contact the LEA SIMS team but they normally arent very much help

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 882 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder
    ...FMSconnect.ini...
    Are you sure that this is the file name? I have searched our server and found these files:

FMS_Companies.Ini
    FMS_Select.ini
    FMSLoad.ini

[We can run FMS at the server if we need to, so if FMSConnect.ini were a part of the install I would have thought that it would be on the server as well as the workstations]

As to the version we have only just upgraded and we are at version 6.85. We are an LEA supported school. There may be other versions of FMS out there for fee paying schools?

Thank Post

Sidewinder, i have seen this at one other school were after the upgrade for some reason the workstations upgraded to 6.91 not 6.85. 6.91 is the version of fms used after your fms db has been converted to run on SQL2005/express.

If you havn't actually converted your fms db you might as well just uninstall fms on the affect workstations and reinstall it using the appropriate cd, it should work ok after that.

The reason why it was asking you to locate the FMSconnect.ini file is because it thinks you are on the SQL version of fms and like sims .net it requires a connect.ini file

Hope this helps

Thank Post

Thanks dreddmetal

I think the problem is that our new server does have 2005 installed, we just havent been switched over yet. So whenever Solus tries to update FMS it always tries to do 6.91

The CD Ive got to install from (Spring 2005) has 6.78 on it so an update is needed to get it to 6.85.

I suppose the only thing I can try is install off the CD, copy over files from a 6.85 workstation, and then change any .ini file I can find to the non existant server. In theory that should work.....?

Thank Post

Right, that seems to have worked, I can get to the login screen anyway
    Unfortunatly (or maybe fortunatly) they have obviously finally decided to change the sysman password from the default
    But its connecting to the server so it should be ok

Thanks for that

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread