+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Preventing staff from creating detentions in Technical; Hi I'm hoping this is an easy one for someone to solve. we have recently started using the detentions sections ...

Thank Post

Preventing staff from creating detentions

Hi

I'm hoping this is an easy one for someone to solve.

we have recently started using the detentions sections of the Sims.net behaviour management module, and we have a whole school Daily detention set up, and want staff to ONLY use this on the system. Staff have been shown how to add students etc, and asked not to create their own, but some are still creating their own detention for pupils instead of adding them to one that already exists.

Is there a way to remove all teacher ability to create a new detention session, so that they can only add to a detention session?

I cangt find anything in any documentation

Thanks

Ieuan

Thank Post
    The ability to create detention sessions is controlled by permissions.

Thank Post
    See screenshot below, but TBH i cant see how the permissions will stop someone adding a detention even if tweaked?

dt.JPG

Thank Post
    I have this same issue - I want to test removing their rights to Edit detentions, but I suspect that will remove the ability for them to add students, so I've yet to test it.

I'd also like to remove their ability to add students from the detention panel, as detentions given from that screen don't accurately track who assigned the detention in my reports - nevermind the two departments that regularly give BP from the register, and then put students straight into detention, doubling up their behaviour points.

Thank Post
    Exactly the same issues here. Staff have been shown, but some create new detentions. Even more fun comes from when they change the date on the pre-set detentions, then everyone starts splitting their own detentions between the 'real' one and the duplicate. RAGE!

Thank Post
    Sorry its in Tools|Setup|Behaviour Management|Detention Type. There's a section allowing you to restrict groups

Detention.PNG

7. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

vikpaw (6th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that, what exactly does it control the permission to do?

I've found the permission to 'edit a detention' or 'edit a detention type'

But what does this mean? If they can't edit a detention - can they still add a pupil to the list - or is this classed as editing?

I was going to try this, but our LEA has stopped up from changing permission, even though we can add different groups to a user, we cant change a user or groups permission. We are working on this, but wont bother if it doesnt work anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,146 Posts
    Having fiddled with many permissions I would imagine removing Edit(all) will stop creation, but as suspected by others also stop you adding students.

The permission shown by Phil I think will prevent certain user groups from adding people to those detentions. So great if you have a Head of Year detention only they can use. I don't think it will stop people from creating their own.

I think the answer lies in training staff, over and over. It's really hard but the best thing is to get them to find and edit a detention; adding students to it rather than assigning on the fly or via an incident. We found that they had to create and save the incident first anyway. You have to either give the job to someone else to assign or change the workflow so they go back in and find the detentions first. And if you have a load precreated that's the easiest. Just tell them if they change it they have to email all staff and let students know plus hoy , dep head etc. that usually deters them from fiddling. Sadly adding red tape to the process sometimes helps.

10. Thanks to vikpaw from:

tombry (7th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,146 Posts
    If you want to test, clone a class teacher permission group and then add a test user to the system and into the new group.
    Or do it on a test server which is what I do. Much easier and quicker to hack around.

Thank Post
    Did anyone ever manage to get this working and stop certain groups adding detentions?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Did anyone ever manage to get this working and stop certain groups adding detentions?
    I'd be interested to know this too, as we're looking at the same thing here...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread